Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. Are you saying you ate eggs the first week after surgery, and you're upset that she got mad at you? If so, you are engaged in harmful behavior; she is a health professional and is trying to impress upon you that you are doing things to hurt your health. My take on it from a brief read is that you are engaged in self-destructive behavior she is trying to stop you.

Okay, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. Are you saying you ate eggs the first week after surgery, and you're upset that she got mad at you? If so, you are engaged in harmful behavior; she is a health professional and is trying to impress upon you that you are doing things to hurt your health. My take on it from a brief read is that you are engaged in self-destructive behavior she is trying to stop you.

My doctor specifically told me to try eggs about 4-7 days after surgery, so not sure what eggs have to do with it. I guess it could be more about just following directions.

I'm surprised; I still have trouble with scrambled eggs a year after surgery, and I don't have a whole lot of restriction right now. Eating too soon can lead to slippage and damage.

Sounds like you went in stressed and came out even more stressed.

My personal take on all the medical "support" some doctors require is that it is just a way to justify charging you more money. I was banded in Mexico, and while my doctor has a nutritionist I can talk to if I want to, I don't have any requirements for seeing her, and I like it that way just fine.

Is it your insurance requiring the aftercare visits, or the surgeon? If it's the surgeon and you don't want to do it, find another doctor for followup care. He really can't MAKE you do anything, but of course he can refuse to treat you if you don't follow his rules. I would be looking elsewhere, I think. Good luck.

It does sound like your were not treated well at your appointment. However, taking children to a personal medical appointment makes it difficult for everyone involved. First of all, it's hard on the children to be confined in a boring medical office. It's a challenge for the medical professional to discuss your progress and questions and it's difficult for the patient to focus while tending to a child's demands. I work in a dental office and often have patients want dental services provided and expect a young toddler or child to sit quietly while unattended, or hope the baby in the baby carrier doesn't wake up! Arrrgh!!! Sometimes we get away with it, but more often than not, the appointment is a stress for all involved. And yes, I do request the patient bring a sitter with them to the office. SS

I'm not sure if I would equivocate 2 eggs to 'self-destructive behavior'...it was more like day after day of feeling like I was going to puke and needing something on my stomach. I told her about it because I feel it's important to be honest and I wanted to know exactly what I could do to deal with the hunger that, at times, made it difficult to get through the day. I guess I expected some helpful information, to know I wasn't alone and to be given coping advice. I got nothing...in fact, the majority of things I learn, I learn here from all of you.

Believe me when I say I DO understand about taking children with you. I never do it...especially with my autistic son. However, this was a rare instance where I had NO choice. I wasn't allowed to reschedule, it's a 3 hour round trip and my sitter was in the hospital with her sister (who was taken in at 2am that morning...my appt was at 8am).

I just feel that if I'm forced (and I AM forced to do this) AND pay the extra 500 bucks out of pocket, then I should be treated a little better. As for my son, I would understand her frustration if it happened over and over but I guess I just figured I could get at least one 'buy'.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a perfect person and have no desire to aspire to be. I bend the rules here and there and tend to alter things to fit my life. Living with the band is personal and we all cope in different ways. Some people here are strict with their diet and themselves and some are like me. We do a good job but we do it OUR way.

Thanks to all for letting me vent and for lending support...God knows we can all use it! :Dancing_biggrin:

I'm sorry I take offense of the comment about chronically bringing the kids to appts. My twins go everywhere with me. They have been to EVERY appt. They were at my mom's the day of my surgery. They go there for support group, as I've already become an important person there, running the clothing exchange, but my oldest son goes with me to help carry clothing in/out. My kids are well behaved 90% of the time, even the twins in the midst of the terrible 2's. They are staying home for my first fill, but that's the first appt they'll miss. My oldest son goes often, as he is genetically prone to being overweight, as me and his father, and both sets of grandparents are overweight. So since he's slim now, I let him see how HARD this is. I don't want him to fall down the same slippery slope (and have discussed this with my surgeon and his staff). They actually are fully on board, and have discussed the thoughts I've shared with them at support group. Now there are several mommies and daddies bringing their preteen kids in for a wake up call. :Dancing_biggrin:

I don't bring my kids there because I can find sitters often. I bring them there because they need me to be around.

teri

I guess my doctor's office is pretty good about the pay up front. At my initial visit they said the non-covered expenses were about $2500 and all they ask for is $1000 up front and I can pay the balance interest free. But then again, my doc's office sounds much nicer all the way around than yours. :Dancing_biggrin:

I have a very nice Doctor's office. I only had to pay the $128 program fee and 20% of any co-pay prior to surgery. The nurse, doctor and nutrionist are all very nice. I would most definately put her in her place. As long as you are doing some activity at least 30 minutes per day that is all you should need. Not everyone can afford a gym, my doctor says any activity, walking or swimming for 30 minutes along with a high Protein, low fat and low carb diet are all that is needed to lose weight with the band. So don't let them bother you, and if possible don't go back to see her, just go for fills when needed. Good luck and hang in there!!