Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Think Oprah has given up?

Lol, I'll join that club.

I piss myself laughing everytime I drive past the Harold Holt Swimming Pool in Malvern, here in Melbourne.

Harold Holt was an Australian prime minister who drowned!

I didn't know that about her but I did know she was planning to open her own WL center and when I heard that, I laughed and laughed. Does that make me mean? :blushing:

Whatever her tips and tricks are, I don't want to know.

Really? It looks like it could have been from her "Fat Actress" days.

I know I have an issue with sounding a bit preachy at times but I think obsessing over TV personalities and their weight changes just makes it harder for us regular folk. It's nice to have a variety of sized people out there in the world so we all know that people do come in different sizes and it's not a crime. It's that world that makes most of us feel we're not worthy to live in this earth if we're not a size 10! Nancy

News flash, Nancy. Size 10 is overweight and teetering on the verge of obese. I realize size is relative but if you go by BMIs, etc., a healthy bmi should have the average person at about a size 6.

Donna113, what I said speaks for itself. I could have said size 0 then I would have had comments on that too. It really doesn't matter because what I said I believe and it's just my opinion and I'm sure most people here will find issue with it but I really don't mind. Nancy:smile:

Nancy, I didn't mean to poke at you like that. I am now a size 14 but remember how unhappy I was at size 10. My goal is to be a size 4/6. I was just remembering how "fat" I felt when I was a size 10 and wish I'd had the opportunity to have the WLS then instead of waiting to balloon up to a tight 18 before having it. I spent unnecessary years being fat and can't have those back so I do sometimes take issue with people who are trying to dissuade others from having the surgery, whether they be everyday Joe and Jane or celebreties. I especially take issue with people who have their own weight problems trying to dissuade others from utilizing any helpful tools that are available. We've all been on the diet yo yo and we know for 90% of the people, it doesn't work. The band is successful for greater than 60% of the people so the numbers also speak for themselves.

I'm glad I'm off that roller coaster and don't want to depend on any other person to sell me their snake oil to once again get me to lose weight when I'm fine at this weight and don't need any more people to tell me that I am wrong, unhealthy, unacceptable to be at the weight I am. Too much time has been wasted in this effort. I hope for you that it is over also and that this band brings you the happiness you seek. Nancy:smile:

Nancy, I didn't mean to poke at you like that. I am now a size 14 but remember how unhappy I was at size 10. My goal is to be a size 4/6. I was just remembering how "fat" I felt when I was a size 10 and wish I'd had the opportunity to have the WLS then instead of waiting to balloon up to a tight 18 before having it. I spent unnecessary years being fat and can't have those back so I do sometimes take issue with people who are trying to dissuade others from having the surgery, whether they be everyday Joe and Jane or celebreties. I especially take issue with people who have their own weight problems trying to dissuade others from utilizing any helpful tools that are available. We've all been on the diet yo yo and we know for 90% of the people, it doesn't work. The band is successful for greater than 60% of the people so the numbers also speak for themselves.

Actually, it is more like 98%. But who is counting, right? Seriously, I looked at odds like that and that's why I voted with my wallet for the Band. If my Band fails me, my wallet will be more than happy to come out for the sleeve.

Thanks, Nancy. I don't seek happiness in a size 4/6 (I'm a very blessed person with a wonderful husband, 2 healthy kids and a career I love). I want to get rid of the pain and fatigue that comes with excess weight as well as have the image in the mirror reflect how I feel/think about myself. I am a bit of an overachiever and the one area in my life that I feel I haven't been able to conquer is to keep my body at a healthy and fit level. Now, with the help of the band, I feel I can do this. It's been a slow 5 months (30 lbs in 5 months is a snail's pace compared to other bandsters). I try to avoid comparing myself to others because I'm OK with my progress and I feel one of the main reasons I've not had some of the issues others experience is because I'm taking it easy and being gentle with myself and band. No PBing, throwing up, reflux. Only been stuck a couple of times when I "forgot" and didn't chew my food. For the majority, if they follow the rules and try to go at a gentle pace to allow the body to adjust, I think the band works really well.

Thanks, Nancy. I don't seek happiness in a size 4/6 (I'm a very blessed person with a wonderful husband, 2 healthy kids and a career I love). I want to get rid of the pain and fatigue that comes with excess weight as well as have the image in the mirror reflect how I feel/think about myself. I am a bit of an overachiever and the one area in my life that I feel I haven't been able to conquer is to keep my body at a healthy and fit level. Now, with the help of the band, I feel I can do this. It's been a slow 5 months (30 lbs in 5 months is a snail's pace compared to other bandsters). I try to avoid comparing myself to others because I'm OK with my progress and I feel one of the main reasons I've not had some of the issues others experience is because I'm taking it easy and being gentle with myself and band. No PBing, throwing up, reflux. Only been stuck a couple of times when I "forgot" and didn't chew my food. For the majority, if they follow the rules and try to go at a gentle pace to allow the body to adjust, I think the band works really well.

Amen to all you said, Donna. I am completely in agreement with everything you've said. I am just at the 80 pound mark and 14 months out so it hasn't been exactly 'fast' for me either. But, I've eaten anything I've wanted, in moderation of course, haven't dealt with the constant PB and reflux, and have enjoyed my journey thus far. The best part, for me, is that the demons in my head are no longer there: the demons that reminded me I was never full, always hungry, always wanting the next meal.

I know I have an issue with sounding a bit preachy at times but I think obsessing over TV personalities and their weight changes just makes it harder for us regular folk. It's nice to have a variety of sized people out there in the world so we all know that people do come in different sizes and it's not a crime. It's that world that makes most of us feel we're not worthy to live in this earth if we're not a size 10! Nancy

Who is obsessing over TV personalities?

I disagree that the world can make you feel any given way. That's just giving others far too much power.

The best part, for me, is that the demons in my head are no longer there: the demons that reminded me I was never full, always hungry, always wanting the next meal.

Can I get a witness? This has been the most liberating! I actually forget to eat now. I no longer live to eat, but eat to live! It's been an AMAZING experience.

I disagree that the world can make you feel any given way. That's just giving others far too much power.

Amen!

I didn't know that about her but I did know she was planning to open her own WL center and when I heard that, I laughed and laughed. Does that make me mean? :thumbup:

Nope, Mac, not any meaner than her sitting and rolling her eyes on a show where teenagers were talking about their WLS stories. She was just sooooo not nice. IMO she was so into the negatives that were brought up on that show and so into pushing her negative opinion when something positive was said about WLS. I lost whatever respect I had (wasn't much) for her that day. Never have been a huge fan and after that show just cannot turn her on anymore.

I do have sympathy for her (or anyone with WL issues...we've all been there, right?). But, there comes a point where a person needs to take the initiative and DO something like we all have. I just feel she is a coward to sit in judgment of WLS people. Who can say what her yo-yo syndrome has done to HER health?