Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the band all that you expected? Better or worse?

I took my starting weight and subtracted the number of weeks since surgery and used 1 pound a week and that is right where I am at. So I guess even though I think I am not progressing, at 16 weeks I have lost 16 pounds. I just need to have patience and not be so hard on myself.

Hi Everyone,

I am also in the midst of researching lapband. I have those little people sitting on each shoulder. One saying go for the lapband, you can not do this on your own and on the other shoulder is you can lose weight on your own, just fill up on veggies and eat sensible. Then there's me in the middle saying, I'm scared to death to have the surgery and I'm scared to death not to. I am very torn but I know with each passing day I am not losing on my own :D

I told DH that I need to research this until I know it like the back of my hand. He is so supportive and tells me to be 100% sure I want it (I'll settle with 80% lol). But right now I'm not comfortable with anything, I guess because its so overwhelming.

See my avitar, thats me pacing like a looney lol.

Thank you all so much for this thread, its really what I needed to see.

NJChick :)

I am very happy with my band. I was not always as happy as I am now. The first few months I had to work really hard at not over eating. I did not wake up with restriction and it took 5 fills to work up to the restriction that I currently have. My Dr. is very conservative with fills and I had to learn to be patient with him. Once I obtained restriction I went from loosing 1-1.5 lbs a week to 3+ lbs a week for the last month. Now I am dealing with the amazing small amount of food that I actually eat and feel full. I am still shocked that a 1/2 cup to a cup of food is all that I need. I still struggle with taking smaller portions because I am so use to filling my plate and eating all that is on my plate. I have made a few trips to the bathroom during a meal because I did not chew, chew, chew or eat slow enough. It is a learning curve that I am still working on but I know that I would still be gaining weight right now without the band instead of loosing the 55 pounds that I have lost over the past 7 months. I would do it again in a hearbeat! Did I mention that I love my band?

Good luck in you research!

-Carol

It has been a harder, slower, and more frustrating experience than I expected.

I was banded in July 2002 (3 years ago!). I had a Midband, also called a "French band," and it is a larger capacity band. Therefore, it took about 4 fills for me to get to a point of good restriction. Two days after my 4th fill, I started experiencing reflux, and so began my difficult struggle.

Over the next 6 months, I had a couple of unfills, and finally a complete unfill. My weight loss over the first 1.5 years was pretty dismal. I had lost about 30 lbs overall (including the 10 lbs gain I had after my unfill).

After a couple of months of being unfilled, I got a fill that was about 60% of my previous highest fill. I remained at that level for the rest of the time I had my Midband (about a year). At this time, I also started an exercise program (swimming 3-4 times a week). I didn't have the level of restriction I wanted, but I let it be because I did not want reflux again.

About 4 months into my new fill, I started to experience a bit of reflux. Terrified, I immediately went on all liquids for a couple of days and then started being ultra careful with my diet, following all the general rules that one should follow when trying to control reflux (except cutting out coffee--never could do that!!). This really stepped up my weight loss.

I then started experiencing sudden increased restriction. This, along with the reflux, should have been a clue to go get a checkup. Somehow, though, the onset of symptoms was gradual enough that it didn't occur to me that something could be drastically wrong. When I started having to throw up every night before I went to bed, I realized I better get an upper GI. Despite all the symptoms, I was still surprised when the surgeon told me my band had slipped!!! The good news is that I was close to my goal weight.

About 10 weeks ago, I had a new Inamed 4cc band placed. So far, I am having a better experience w/this band. I have only had two fills, and am already at a level of restriction that is working for me (I am losing weight). No reflux so far, either (knock on wood!!). I am now 16 lbs from goal.

-Yvonne

(260/166/150)

5'8.5" tall

Hi Everyone,

I am also in the midst of researching lapband. I have those little people sitting on each shoulder. One saying go for the lapband, you can not do this on your own and on the other shoulder is you can lose weight on your own, just fill up on veggies and eat sensible. Then there's me in the middle saying, I'm scared to death to have the surgery and I'm scared to death not to. I am very torn but I know with each passing day I am not losing on my own :)

NJChick :)

That was me to the tee- without the DH to support my decision. I wasn't 100% sure going into the surgery room. I was about 88% I'd say-LOL I was so nervous & usually I am an extreme calm cucumber. But I had done the research-knew it was reversible & knew I couldn't keep staying where I was or worse get fatter.

I knew one thing was for sure- it was me that was going to have to loose the weight & at least with the band I would have a "saftey net built-in" Not saying that that would always catch me BUT that it would always remind me what I got myself into & that it was work.

The only other alternative was to try AGAIN by myself & lose it AGAIN by myself & than sorry to GAIN it all back & than some-oh yeah by MYSELF. Family would say thats not the right attitude to have & of course you'll fail if you think you'll gain it all back- BUT really they have NO CLUE what I have gone through my whole life- they have never stuggled with more than 10 pds any of them. I needed a built in support system to help me this time- I am so glad to have my band.

I only have one worry- that Lord forbid I may one day lose my band. I pray everynight that God lets my body except this instument & that I may be successful with this tool & forever be healthy & happy with my weight when I reach my goal. He has never let me down, Thank God! lol ;0)

I too love my band and my only regret is not having it done sooner. I have lost 56 pounds in 5 months and am delighted. At times the weight loss has been very slow or non existant and then all of a sudden the weight starts shifting again. I live in England and when I moaned to my consultant about the lack of restriction I was told "Madam we do not band people so tightly here that they vomit if the over eat", generally speaking they are a bit on the consevative side here when it comes to fills, but as long as I'm losing I'm happy.

No complaints

Gaynor

Okay, I haven't actually lost 30 pounds yet. I had based that 30 pound loss on a scale that turned out to be broken, or out of balance or something. I'm only down 27 actual post surgery pounds. I am also including that 30 pounds as being down from my all time high, I sort of feel that including that weight is dishonest some how. Like I can't count it because I didn't lose it with the band. But I can hear several people shouting at me that a pound lost is a pound lost.

It's been 5 months since I wrote the above post. I haven't really lost any weight since then. Maybe 5 pounds in 5 months. 7 pounds tops. I had expected to lose 20 more pounds at least since I wrote that post, not 5 or 6 pounds. I'm only down one size. Very discouraging.

I love it and hate it both. I love that it takes little food to fill me up. Hate it that for that reason alone I have not lost weight - I absolutely cannot understand it. How can you go from never counting calories probably eating 4-5000 a day - going to eating 1/3 of what I ususally did and still no weight loss. Trying to figure out how to change more things to lead to more weight loss as I am at a good level of restriction. I'm 6 months out now and getting more discouraged everyday.

Hey Smooch, did you get my PM?

The band is GREAT, but you must have a great doc and great follow-up care or it's way too hard to do alone.

hi

No,havent changed my mind......I have however lost 105 pounds....still hate the band....still battle with pain every day.....reflux better after unfill...still taking max meds for reflux though.....cry.gif

AND I ONLY EVER LOSE ANY WEIGHT WHEN I Atkins, I MEAN REALLY LOW CARB.....even 1000 calories with normal food I might lose maybe a pound a week....with lowcarb at least 2.2 pounds a week......rolleyes.gif

So,Smooch,I understand your dilemma but keep changing what you eat and you will lose weight.....what I mean is diet girl,some people do really well when they go back to weight watchers or slimming world or some program....it is the only thing that will work for some.....that and exercise.....and now people are going to stone me again......wink.gif

Have a nice day all.......

Hey Smooch, did you get my PM?

The band is GREAT, but you must have a great doc and great follow-up care or it's way too hard to do alone.

PM'd you back my love

It's been a slow process for me too, but I love my band. I'm such a happier person now and I suppose healthier too, but I think the mental is part of health too.

Smooch, sometimes it's not how much you eat, but what and how LITTLE. Not eating enough can cause your body to hold onto what ever it gets.

I know when I went for weeks with no scale loss, I finally went to the nutritionist and I had gained 12 lbs of muscle, no wonder the scales weren't going down.

Maybe you should have that test done, it's all done on a special scale that calculates fat vs muscle.

Everytime I see an obese person, I want to pull them aside and tell them all about the band.

Hey - no sad faces here!! Look at what you have done so far! And I don't see any gain, so it's all good girl!! I am sure you want to be in that bikini by spring break, but maybe you are meant to be in it Next spring break! Maybe it is true that the slower u lose it, the longer it stays off!!

Good Luck - I am rooting for ya!!!

amen cheri (by the way, i am being banded on the 1st of december...i am so excited)

whether i am a quick loser or a slow loser, it has to be better than what has happened over the last 10 years...up and down so many times i can't count.

it is funny, when i talked to my doc a few months back i told him i wanted lots of restriction upfront...now that i have been out here listening and learning...i want a very small amount of restriction upfront, and slowly find my sweet spot. i DO NOT want to live my live with reflux or pain....

thanks all of you for your lessons...it is so helpful : )