Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get 60g of protein in a day?

I agree, $3.50 is high. But looks like I'm going to have to get some type of Protein supplement, and I don't really like the milkshake type drinks. I haven't been banded yet (my consult is this coming Tuesday), but since my wife and I eat out alot, I figure by the time I eliminate my eating-out meals (we'll be sharing food), carbonated drinks, etc it will proably be a wash. I've also ordered some unflavored Protein power that I can add to Soup, yougurt, etc that prices out to about 50 cents per serving (18g protein).

In larger quantities you can get the price down to as low as $2.19 per (96 vials) at (www.bariatricchoice.com) . I haven't tried grape yet, but it should be good. No funny taste as long as you mix HALF of the 42g vial with 24oz Water. I tried the whole 42g in 24 oz and it did have a slight aftertaste. I'm experimenting with different flavors of crystal lite (actually the Walmart brand) to see what flavor combinations I like best. I don't think I could stand drinking the 42g straight. It has the consistency of cough Syrup.< /p>

I forgot to add that I HATE the taste of diet sodas (we call them soft drinks down here in Tennessee) because of the aftertaste, so I'm really pleased that I've found something that I like to drink and that gives me Protein also.

It sounds like your in the liquid stages which for many of us is very different, but read your lables, I found the Soups I was using had 7=9 grms of Protein, eggs are high in Protein, cheese, yogurt, I only used Protein shakes to supplement when I couldn't get enough in because I was running around town etc. I like walmarts whey vanilla protein pwdr, with frozen fruit, ice and Vitamin Water in a blender as a smoothy, I would just make small ones since I am not big on Protein Shakes. My dr let us have lentil Soup, cream butternut squash, pumpkin soup, all good protein, just watch fat content. When your first healing a little fat won't destroy your journey. Later I found canned boneless salmon made up with a small amount of mayo was another good source of protein, and goes down easier than tuna, that with a slice of cheese was often my lunch when I hit the mushy stage.

I was banded March 24 and have lost 60 lbs so far. Remember you can only absorb 20 grms protein at a time, so don't try to take in all 60 in one large sitting, you won't absorb it all. Spread it out.

Good luck.

It sounds like your in the liquid stages which for many of us is very different, but read your lables, I found the Soups I was using had 7=9 grms of Protein, eggs are high in Protein, cheese, yogurt, I only used protein shakes to supplement when I couldn't get enough in because I was running around town etc. I like walmarts whey vanilla protein pwdr, with frozen fruit, ice and Vitamin Water in a blender as a smoothy, I would just make small ones since I am not big on Protein Shakes. My dr let us have lentil Soup, cream butternut squash, pumpkin soup, all good protein, just watch fat content. When your first healing a little fat won't destroy your journey. Later I found canned boneless salmon made up with a small amount of mayo was another good source of protein, and goes down easier than tuna, that with a slice of cheese was often my lunch when I hit the mushy stage.

I was banded March 24 and have lost 60 lbs so far. Remember you can only absorb 20 grms protein at a time, so don't try to take in all 60 in one large sitting, you won't absorb it all. Spread it out.

Good luck.

I didn't know about only absorbing 20 grams of protein at once. Thanks for that!!! And CONGRATS ON YOUR 60 LBS!!! AWESOME!!!

Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein Unflavored. It comes in a 2LB container and cost $18.95 plus shipping from Amazon (retail is $24). You get 40 scoops from each container, so if you ignore the shipping cost, it costs about 47 cents a serving. I stopped by my local Vitamin Shoppe and they didn't have it in stock, so they have ordered it for me. I hope it is really unflavored - if not, I'm going to take it back (Vitamin Shoppe policy will let you do this).

The manager at the store said Jarrow Formulas is a really big supplement company, so I'm hoping for the best.

Here is the link at Amazon.com:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Whey-Protein-Unflavored-2-lbs/dp/B0001TO8NU/ref=pd_cp_hpc_2?pf_rd_p=413863001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00028O77W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0P8KQATPYEAMHJ4MZFKV]Amazon.com: Whey Protein Unflavored 2 lbs.: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Ambraberger,

The grape New-Whey (half of 42g tube), a stick of Crystal Lite lemonade and 24oz Water is great! I bought a tube of Orange and Blue Raspberry also, so I'll be trying those the next two days.

SportProtein.com

Their site sells powdered egg whites straight from the farm. 1 scoop equals 50 calories and 12 grams of Protein. It mixes great in Soups and dishes and it doesn't have that crappy grainy taste that unflavored soy and whey Protein powders have. Took me forever to find something that wasn't chocolate or vanilla flavored so I could add it to everyday foods.

:crying: You're getting a lot of good info on this question. Seems like many people have had the same query. Here's a website for all Vitamins, Minerals, Proteins and everything for Bariatric Surgery patients that have had the BY-PASS. Their requirements are strict. Since I had planned that route before now registering for the band, I still use my notes and UCLA class training: The best one is a 42gm tube of liquid you can put in Water and there is feedback on each items on the site:

www.bariatricchoice.com (includes prices)

Hi tree9148,

Looks like the eggwhite Protein is sold in a 10lb box. What kind of shelf-life does it have? It would take me a long time to use 10lbs a tablespoon at a time.

Thanks, I went on line to order. It was $43 for shipping 32oz. or 12 bullets, to Hawaii. It came out to $80 something for 12 bullets. Someone just told me, we can get them here on the island, I'll check .

Hey Puna T:

I didn't realize you were in Hawaii. You've got some challenges. If there is a Trader Joes on the Island, try Designer whey Protein powder - 2 flavors. There is also a 20 and a 32 gm individual can right on the shelf under it (forgot the name) it tastes good and can be used in Water (the powder).

remove the URL from your ticker tracker. I doubt if anyone would, but it allows someone to go in and view/edit your personal info. It shouldn't show. Probably remove it from your signature page under quick link.