Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since there are a few newbies (like myself) maybe we can do a roll call of sorts to see who is still around and where you are in your journey!

I faxed my information packet Friday

Andddd I am going to my first informational tonight :eek:

I am about 99% sure this is what I am going to do b/c no matter how focused I try to be I tend to fall off the 'wagon' case in point I made it back to the gym yesterday :thumbup:after a 30 day "break." I packed my lunch, Snacks, etc and I still went for the iced lemon cake and chips :thumbup: I have about 100 calories left for the day and its only 1pm :angry: I know I need help & I am tired of fighting the facts; but that's a good thing! :) I am really inspired by the stories I have read.

What about you? Pre-op, Post-Op, Weight loss thus far,etc.

Hello. Im also a newbie. I have already had my consultation and watched two Emmi videos. I will be making my dr.s appt.s later this week and next week. My insurance doesnt actually start covering Lap Band until Jan.1 2009. I plan to have everything I need ready to go on December 31st! I want it asap.

Aprilapple answering roll!

I am so proud of this forum I started it in July ( a mere 3 months a go!) I believe that skinnyoneday was the first to post a response so that we could start a social group. Now there are over 100 sistas in the group. It is the most popular forum on LBT! Holla!

Thanks ladies so much for believing in what we are trying to do here. Thank you all for joining and continuing to post and start new threads. Thank you for taking ownership of this group and keeping things moving! I am truly motivated by all of your stories and experiences.

I pray that we will continue to be a blessing to one another.

I am almost 5 weeks post op with a realize band installed. My first fill is scheduled Oct. 22 and I have lost 16lbs!

Greetings,

I am a newbie to the board & am in the process of recovery:girl_hug: from my lapbad removal:thumbdown: on 9.17.

Year 1: 6 fills; 3 unfills; weight fluctuation range: 247-198

weight loss: 49 pounds; weight gain: 30 pounds

Year 2: 4 fills; 3 unfills; 2 deflates; 1 band removal

weight fluctuation range: 217-201

Max. weight loss: 16 pounds; Max. weight gain: 9pounds

I have followed up with my insurance to ensure coverage--confirmed--and I have followed up with my PCP to ensure protocol--letter from referral doctor of medical necessity. I have followed up with my referral doctor/wls surgeon to advise that my PCP needs a letter of medical necessity to submit for approval for authorization.

I am schedule for my one month post op follow up visit with my wls surgeon on 10.31. I have confirmed the co-pay for wls in-patient is $250/outpatient is $150. :laugh:

I was selfpay $8500 plus travel for my lapband--Dr. Ortiz--Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, Mexico in November 2006. So the opportunity to get this wls covered by insurance is FANTASTIC! :) I can say that my insurance/PCP have been great b/c they covered all but 2 of my fills--and that was before I realized that I could petition for coverage. :huh2:

I am hopeful/prayerful that there are not too many hoops to jump through and that the best case scenario renders that I can anticipate my wls to occur near the end of Thanksgiving--yes this year--like in a bit more than 30 days!

I am wrapping up my last semester of coursework on my doctorate degree in higher education leadership and am working on chapters 1-3 for proposal defense & have comp exams coming up in 3 weeks...atop of returning to work on Monday.....so I already have a lot of hoop action already going on!:tt2:

Wish me well!:cool2:

Sheena

Hey Girlfriends,

I had surgery 29 Aug. I have had one fill of 0.7cc. Not feeling too much restriction but trying my best to stay on track. It's a hard thing to do. I've lost 39 lbs. I've hired a personal trainer who has put 5lbs of muscle on me which is good. From 23 Sept to now, I've lost 2 1/2 inches off my waist and 1 inch off each thigh! :laugh: Now, I'm learning to appreciate NSV (non-scale victories).

I'm grateful to God that He allowed me to take this path.

Let's hear some more updates!

Greetings,

I am a newbie to the board & am in the process of recovery:girl_hug: from my lapbad removal:thumbdown: on 9.17.

I have followed up with my insurance to ensure coverage--confirmed--and I have followed up with my PCP to ensure protocol--letter from referral doctor of medical necessity. I have followed up with my referral doctor/wls surgeon to advise that my PCP needs a letter of medical necessity to submit for approval for authorization.

I am schedule for my one month post op follow up visit with my wls surgeon on 10.31. I have confirmed the co-pay for wls in-patient is $250/outpatient is $150. :regular_smile:

I was selfpay $8500 plus travel for my lapband--Dr. Ortiz--Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, Mexico in November 2006. So the opportunity to get this wls covered by insurance is FANTASTIC! ;) I can say that my insurance/PCP have been great b/c they covered all but 2 of my fills--and that was before I realized that I could petition for coverage. :)

I am hopeful/prayerful that there are not too many hoops to jump through and that the best case scenario renders that I can anticipate my wls to occur near the end of Thanksgiving--yes this year--like in a bit more than 30 days!

I am wrapping up my last semester of coursework on my doctorate degree in higher education leadership and am working on chapters 1-3 for proposal defense & have comp exams coming up in 3 weeks...atop of returning to work on Monday.....so I already have a lot of hoop action already going on!:thumbup:

Wish me well!:w00t:

Sheena

Best Wishes Sheena!!!!:tt2: Now you said you had the band removed? What happened? And what form of wls are you planning on next month?

Hey Girlfriends,

I had surgery 29 Aug. I have had one fill of 0.7cc. Not feeling too much restriction but trying my best to stay on track. It's a hard thing to do. I've lost 39 lbs. I've hired a personal trainer who has put 5lbs of muscle on me which is good. From 23 Sept to now, I've lost 2 1/2 inches off my waist and 1 inch off each thigh! :regular_smile: Now, I'm learning to appreciate NSV (non-scale victories).

I'm grateful to God that He allowed me to take this path.

Let's hear some more updates!

THAT IS EXCELLENT!!!! :thumbup:Ho many times a weeka re you working out? What are you meals like? How often to you eat a day? I am just trying to get a sense of your journey! ;)

Best Wishes Sheena!!!!:) Now you said you had the band removed? What happened? And what form of wls are you planning on next month?

Goodmorning,

The last 20 months offered me nothing but fill/unfill:drool:...I could never go more than 3 weeks with a fill..which for a while would feel great and one day I would just wake up it no that it was yet again time for an unfill....sometimes this was a trip to the ER in the middle of church, sometimes I could hold out a day or two, sometimes it was an emergency call to the doctor to fit me in to do an unfill...It was progressive gradually.

Below is a summation of my lapband experience from implant to removal, I have indicated the symptomatic issues that were experienced which led to the unfills. I did not indicate that the first 2 unfills were resultant of having been too tight and having flown. Lots of doctors and other bandsters will tell you that this is impossible, but I found research that speaks to a few bandsters being impacted by flying if they are already too tight--that indeed was my experience. :thumbup:

Although I had these issues, during the process, I did not see them as complications--I loved my band. :tt1:

I would advise everyone to be your own medical health advocate, challenge the opinions, research--become your best expert on yourself and this life transforming process, document your process...it was my only comfort in tracking my progress and ultimately seeing the regressive pattern. Dont just leave it up to the doctor to know and track everything with your progress/process.

Everytime I got an unfill, I was asking is this normal, should I be concerned. By year 2, I figured that I was going to regulate the amount of fills that I was getting b/c what I had learned from year 1 was that the doctors had been too aggressive in my fills administration.;) From that I saw progress, but each time it was short lived..it did not make sense (levels that I had been at before were now too tight).

Pay attention to your body, monitor your progress. At my last unfill, I was adamant in being concerned about the steady pace of fills/unfills/deflates...so much so that my doctor had to admit it too...and then we began discussing the option of getting an endoscopy done in 1 month....needless to say we didnt have that time...as 2 days later I had been admitted to the hospital and the emergency call had been made to remove my band. :regular_smile:

At those fill appts., insist on knowing how much of a fill is being administered and knowing what your total balance is. Document this every visit. It cant hurt..it can help in the accountability process in the long run.

During those periods of unfills being needed, I would lose 5-8 pounds over night.:tt2:

Even if I could do this all over again, I know that lapband would have been my first choice & vertical sleeve my second. At the time of my decision I had not heard about vertical sleeve. I am hoping to have the vertical sleeve gastrectomy next month. And if that dont work I will go back for the second stage of the sleeve; however, I doubt if I will need it. I lost 46 pounds with the band & hope to lose another 30 pounds. I am hopeful!:w00t:

November 16, 2006--surgery performed; weight: 247

December 2006--weight: 225

January 3, 2007--weight: 211; first fill administered--1cc in 4 cc band

February 2007--weight: 215

March 2, 2007--weight 207; 2nd fill administered--1cc added--total 2cc in 4cc band

April 23, 2007--weight: 204; 3rd fill administered--1.1cc added--total 3.1cc in 4cc band

May 23, 2007--weight: 198; 1st unfill administered--2.3cc removed---total 0.8cc in 4cc band

(acid reflux, esophageal spasm, stoma occlusion)

June 26, 2007--weight: 209; 4th fill administered--1.2cc added--total 2.0cc in 4cc band

July 10, 2007--weight: 212; 5th fill administered--0.8cc added--total 2.8cc in 4cc band

August 2007--weight: 212

September 2007--weight: 212

October 4, 2007--weight 212--2nd unfill administered--0.5cc removed--total 2.3cc in 4cc band

October 30, 2007--weight 212--6th fill administered--1cc added--total 3.3cc in 4cc band

November 6, 2007--weight: 206--3rd unfill administered--0.5cc removed--total 2.5cc in 4cc band

(acid reflux, esophageal spasm, stoma occlusion)

December 2007--weight 215

************************************************************************************************************************************

January 22, 2008--weight: 217; 1st fill administered--0.8cc added--total 3.2cc in 4cc band

February 12, 2008--weight: 213; 1st unfill administered--0.5cc removed--total 2.7cc in 4cc band

March 2008--weight: 217

April 29, 2008--weight: 216; 2nd fill administered--1cc added--total 3cc in 4cc band

May 6, 2008--weight: 207; 2nd unfill administered--.02cc removed--total 2.8cc band

May 18, 2008--weight: 204; 1st deflate--(acid reflux, esophageal spasm, stoma occlusion, dehydration)

May 27, 2008--weight: 204; 3rd fill administered--2.5cc added--2.5cc in 4cc band

June 26, 2008-weight: 204; 3rd unfill administered-.8cc removed--total 1.7cc in 4cc band

July 2008--weight: 204

August 19, 2008--weight: 209; 4th fill administered--.5cc added--total 2.2cc in 4cc band

September 15, 2008--weight: 201; 2nd deflate--(pouch dilation, esophageal spasms, dehydration)

September 17, 2088--weight 201; lap band removal

WOW! Thanks for sharing that!!! I think that is excellent advice and I already have a note pad with info in it from the seminar and I think if I go forward I will do that; be very diligent with knowing what I need and how my body is reacting.

The seminar I went to was really pushing the sleeve and I agree it is a good option! I am excited for you and I think your positive attitude is wonderful!!! Can't wait to hear your updates!

Hey Sistas,

My journey has been relatively short compared to some of you...I started thinking about WLS because a sistafriend at work was supporting her husband through his bypass surgery. She had also been bypassed and lost about 100 lbs, but has more to go. She didn't seem to have any of the complications I've heard about - but then she is a focused and very intelligent woman who strictly followed doctor's orders.:wink2:

Her hubby is doing very well - off all of his diabetes meds, and he seems to have lost about 60 - 70 pounds. So I considered the bypass, but in doing my research, I preferred a laparascopic surgery option, plus I didn't want the malabsorptive problems of the bypass. I researched further and found the Band. Since then, I've been through my nutritionist's consultation and the psych eval (both with flying colors) and I've attended two support group meetings (one for bypass patients, one for banders). I'm now waiting for them to schedule my last one-on-one with the surgeon and the pre-op stuff at the hospital, and then I'll get my date to be banded. :laugh:

I can't wait - the prospect of a healthier life - off the medication - is one that I've only dared dream about. I cannot do this on my own - I've been fighting my weight since I was 12 years old and I keep getting heavier every year.

I'm so glad to have found this forum - I love being in the company of like-minded women who will understand me and my issues...thank you all for being here, and for creating this safe space for us to come together. :laugh:

Hi Ladies,

I have an update for you. Today, I visited my doctor and received a good recovery report. Additionally, we began the process to submit for approval for a revisional wls to my insurance company. Wish me well! I decided upon vertical sleeve gastrectomy. We discussed all of my questions about his protocol with the procedure & I am convicted in this decision as being the next best option for me. He stated that we should anticipate about 1 month for the approval process and that I should begin to decide if I would like to have the wls before or after the holidays. I immediately announced before the holidays...I need to finish this weight loss journey ASAP and I cant have it to negatively impact my dissertation timeline.

I have to say I am a lil bit nervous...why? Because in this time that I have been in recovery, I only eat as much as I could with the band. I have not exercised, but for the most part have maintained my weight. I am afraid that what if the problem is not Portion Control and something else. I am not an emotional eater; however, my friends say that I unknowingly starve myself to death.:tt1:..to me I just dont really have an appetite or think about eating some days...yes, bad! I know. Any insight or words of wisdom?:smile2: