Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kareyquilts: Arms, Butt & Thighs, Oh My!

"I say stay focused on your goals, breath and think positive thoughts! Sorry if I wrote an essay! Just take deep breaths and try and not let others fears overwhelm you!"

Karey, the above is a quote from a response you made on my ps thread in response to my Dad's concerns about my surgery. I know this is a little different, but fear is fear. Yes, the economy is not great right now, and, honestly, we probably don't want a crystal ball. I look at it like this, With the economy as it is, this may be my only opportunity to do this for myself. We have all worked so hard to get where we are, and I want to look as good as I feel (yes, I stole that from Dr Shulman's add. I love it) So, I say, back up and revisit your goals, your reasons why you are doing this. Then, if you choose to go forward, do it without shame and guilt.

Karey

Renewed and Shalee both made great points and I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I have been following your journey for months now and I know you have had lots of ups and downs and it is really natural, especially as you get near to the date to second and third and fourth guess yourself. Those close to you want to make sure that you are sure in your decision, because they know this is a big deal and they worry for you. You are the only one who really knows how losing a little (or alot) of excess skin and fat can make you feel about yourself. At the end of the day they just can't fully relate, as they have only seen the external battle you have fought.

This surgery is obviously really important to you in your journey of self worth and self esteem. You have worked very hard for your results and you are at a time in your life when you can devote some time and resources to achieving your dreams. It is not selfish to want to see the outside you match the you you feel inside. I would guess that after this part of your journey is complete you will be able to turn to other projects again and achieve complete satisfaction in them as well.

Maybe try thinking about it this way - you have devoted yourself for years to the projects of your marriage and family and kids and now it is time to spend on the project of YOU!!!!

I know you are worried about your brother, but the cruel reality of life is that there are always going to be problems and crisis' that need assistance. You can't always be there to rescue others and maybe one of the lessons of life is that even if we can help out, does that mean we should or that we have to? We all have our own paths to travel and maybe we have to let others get to their own life lessons without us. Only you can decide what you should or shouldn't do.

Know that people do support you and understand how difficult this all is. Whatever you decide, it will be for the best. Please take the time to think about what is best for YOU - not everyone else. You deserve it.

Jacquie

I felt a little teary reading your responses. Thanks for the well thought out replies. I do think I'm getting a very bad case of the pre-surgery jitters. It is hard to know how much difference the excess skin gone will make. It's hard to visualize what it will look like without it? Loosing the skin and fat on my tummy has been such a huge difference for my confidence and sense of well being. It's hard to think that getting the rest done will have as much impact as the Tummy Tuck and breast lift had. It's just hard to know. I feel like I have fought the good fight and done all that I could to make myself better. I do love my brother, but we had given/leant him alot of money in the last few years. He can't catch a break, but he and his wife also make a lot of decisions based on emotions instead of sound financial principles. If I give my brother the money (which he hasn't asked for), I'm not sure that it will help in the long run, it might just prolong things for a while, unless both he and his wife can find good jobs again soon. Life can sure be a struggle for some people. I have thought long and hard about what I want to do after this weight loss journey is complete. I have been so focused for the last 2 years. I am ready to work on my career, make some physical goals (like biking across Europe) and do some humantarian work, perhaps for my Church. I guess I need to finish what I have started with the weight loss and continue to think about how I will pay-it-forward. I keep praying about this, but so far I haven't felt inspired about the direction my life should take. I have thought that this would make a good thread for those of us who are at or near goal. How are we going to pay-it-forward for all the great things that have happened to and for us? I'm going to breath deeply, try and relax and think about this surgery long and hard. Unless something else happens I will probably go ahead as scheduled. (Taking some long deep breaths here).

Karey,

I'm so excited for you! Thanks for your supportive replies to me this past summer in regards to our personal issues. Will be thinking about you.

Hi Karey,

I'm still in Miami dealing with my wound issues (improving BTW albeit very sloooowly). I haven't been on LBT in several days, but I just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm thinking about you and wishing you the very best this week.

I know everything will turn out great for you. The swelling on my backside has gone down quite a bit in the past week, I am loving my results and am very glad that I did this -- I know that you will feel the same about your results as well!

Big hugs and quick healing vibes to you sweetie!!!!

:):smile::)

(Good luck! Butt is much easier than tummy. Keep us posted! )

I'm counting on it!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I really want to get some pictures. Everything is happening so quickly now. I have my son home visiting from college, my mom came to help and my list of "to-do's" is very long! I'm trying to remember to breath!

In a few hours, I'll be off to the hospital. I've paid all the bills, written all the lists for my 9 year old's schedule. Called all my children and told them I love them. I've got clean sheets on the bed, meds all organized, etc. I guess I'm ready. Hope all goes well and I'll post in a few days! Just trying to take some deep breaths!

Lots of success Karey.

My thoughts and well wishes are with you!!! Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing when you are able.

Jacquie