Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Exercise Challenge

Guest Leslie2Lose

Okay...I really need to look at the 'New Posts' section more often! I seem to get hung up reading the threads I subscribe to and don't branch out...so anyway, I'm late! Can I join you guys?

I joined a new gym a little over a month ago. It was a little rough starting out, but I kept going and now I am actually starting to enjoy it!! Who'd a thunk it?

I am doing cardio 4-5 days a week and lift weights 2 x week. I am getting to the point with the weights though, that I'm not challenged anymore and a little bored. Right now I do my entire body in one day and then the whole thing all over again a second day druing the week.

My DH says I need to move off the machines and into the cables and free weights. He says I should do upper and lower portions separately twice a week each. Blech. The trainer at the gym set me up on the program I'm on and it's convenient. Is it time to graduate?

~Carol

today - 2mile run

had planned to go to the gym, but it was a pretty morning in TX today.

renewed - your going to be so fit for your surgery @ the end of the month!!

leslie - please tell me ya at least had some funnel cake???:tongue2:

hey turler - join IN!! my trainer has me doing the same routine (twice a wk) for 4wks - then changes it up, very rarely am i on a machine...free weights & resistance mostly..., welcome!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hey Carol! No it isn't too late for you to join...you know you are welcome girl!

Now as for the weights - you need to do what you feel is comfortable. The free weights and cables are a little more technical - you can zone in on a specific area a lot easier. You would probably need a trainer to work with you for a bit to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. Right now I'm still sticking to the machines - I'm not working on muscle definition right now...more on weight loss. The free weights and cables take more time for me too - I hate the weights part and want to be done quickly. That's just me though. When I get closer to goal I may branch out myself...do what you are comfortable with though.

Guest Leslie2Lose

leslie - please tell me ya at least had some funnel cake???:tongue2:

:drool:Oh yea I had some - it was so good:drool:...I also had roasted corn on the cob (DH and I shared) - thought of you when I was ordering it. It was really good too, as was the 2 onion rings (yes only 2), and my hotdog (no bun). I splurged and don't regret one fattening calorie. I can't believe I used to eat that whole funnel cake! I also would have had the whole basket of rings, a chili cheese dog, and Ex-Lg Dr. Pepper a year ago - and did.

May I get in? I will continue to go to Y 5 x a week and do treadmill for 40 min; weights machines 20 min then the elliptical for 20 min.

I also walked my first 5K (Miles for Midwives) today in under 1 hour (which is fabulous for me)

Thanks guys!

I hate weight training too! I try to get that over with so I can focus on the cardio. I am finding though that I do better if I do the cardio first, then the weights. Maybe I just need to up my reps and the amount of weight instead of moving to cables and free weights. I would prefer to keep things simple like they are then to be stuck doing weight training 4 days a week (2 upper, 2 lower).

I too am more focused on losing weight/fat burning. I'm sure there are some amazing benefits to all this weight lifting, but you can't see any of it anyway...it's all covered up with my fat! LOL

~C

2 mile brisk walk with arm exercises with 2 lb weights then stretching. 35 min

I did not exercise today. If I don't run tommorow someone please give me a cyber kick in the butt. I am on a roll here. I don't want this weekend to mess me up!!

No exercise for me today either. Unless my running day ends up being on Sunday, I usually take it as a rest day. I'll be running tomorrow for sure.

Everyone is doing great!!

'Morning Ladies and Gents!

Friday I went out with DH to a concert - the arts organization in our town has 'First Friday' concerts. It was a hawaiian-themed group with hula dancers...Yes, I got up on stage and shook my hips with the rest of the rookies who were too silly to be scared. Fun, but not a heck of a lot of exercise!:tt2:

The weekend was pretty active - though not in the gym...raking leaves, cutting brush and wood, cleaning out the garden for the fall, etc. Lots of bending, reaching, stretching, toting, lifting, etc. I was a bit sore on Sunday, but finished up early. Sunday afternoon was fun - my DH is a justice of the peace and one of the couples he married invited us to their reception. They had the wedding earlier, then had the reception when the most family members could attend.

We danced quite a bit - my DH is a great dancer and loves to be around fun people. Had a wuuussssaaah moment when a woman attending the party got a little too friendly with my DH, but refrained from pounding her into the pavement (she was a little tipsy, so I cut her some slack)...

Back on track for the gym today - woke up late, so no morning walk, but will hit the sidewalk at lunchtime, then the gym tonight. Have a great day, everyone!:)

Confession Time - I was a blob on the weekend.

Today - Did 35 min of fast and hard front crawl in the pool this morning.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I slept in this morning too...DH had to about shake me to wake me up - I'm normally a very light sleeper. This was at 6:20. I didn't make it to the gym this morning - so I missed my run. I'm going after work today.

welcome mamanmidwife,

today -

*must be the rain* just took a yoga class & about fell asleep in the dark room:closedeyes:. tomorrow is measurements & fat % taken, going to overload big time on H2O today!!!:)

Wow! I love the gym!

Yesterday, took DH and he jumped on board with joining. I'm not sure what we did...we were there for 2 hours, then we sat and signed papers. We did cardio and weight lifting.

Today, DD and I went after school/work.

Did 20 minutes on treadmill

10 on elliptical (hate it, really, it's official) and

10 minutes on bike, then

10 minutes of stretching.

I do way more there than I ever would at home. Although, I'm a little embarrassed about running when people are there, so I just did a fast walk on the treadmill, with a little running thrown in. On the weekends I'm more comfortable since no one was there that early.

Question: Should you do Cardio first, then weight lifting, or lift then cardio?