Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asked my GP to refer me yesterday....

Well I went along to my GP, told her I had had enough, burst into tears, told her about the snoring and constant tiredness, the creaky knees(at 28!!) and she said flat out that I wouldn't get funding because I haven't exhausted all avenues, which was news to me cos I thought I had tried everything.

She wants me to try Reductil because some of her patients have had success with it. I was dissapointed at first but then she said that if it doesn't work then she will push for the Lapband. I am in two minds about it all, part of me wants to have a good go at it as a final attempt to lose weight without the op and the other part is saying, well we have been here before two years ago and you couldn't do it and even if you did lose some, how would you keep it off? GGGRRRRR

I am still thinking about it.

Katie xx

Hi Katie x

I know its very frustrating but give it a go , least she said if this doesnt work she will then refer u .

I had zenical and years of obesity problems on my medical record , u have to be seen to go down every route possible hun , The banding is still classed as a cosmetic procedure on the NHS , Dont give up hope , try the medication and if that fails , u know u have the lap band route to go down .

Wishing u hope & success

Sas x

The banding is still classed as a cosmetic procedure on the NHS

That's a bizarre state of affairs. Sure, losing weight has a cosmetic factor, but it is surely outweighed by the general health benefits and preventative aspects.

Katie, try the Reductil. I did and it did nothing for me. But, I had to be seen as trying it before surgery was an option.

That's a bizarre state of affairs. Sure, losing weight has a cosmetic factor, but it is surely outweighed by the general health benefits and preventative aspects.

Absolutely Main , and like my gp stated when I said Its alot of money out of the NHS pot , his words : in the long run this will save the NHS money u having this surgery .

As we wont be treating u for all the obesity co-morbilities than come hand in hand .

And Dr said we treat alcoholics , drug addicts ! why shouldnt we treat obese people .

As I said I got myself in this state , he said yes u did but so did the alcohlics & drug addicts .

Plus Ive paid my taxes & NI since I was 16 :)

Eventually I think they will remove the COSMETIC PROCEDURE , as we all know how common obesity is and yes we need to be treated just like anyone else with medical problems .

Best wishes

SAS :)

hi

I had the same problem with my g.p and had exhausted all avenues all the nasty pills that make you poop and send you on a high etc and in the end i was told to eat less well if i could do that on my own i wouldnt of had a problem. so last year hubby and i decided to remortgage the house not an easy decision and not an option that we all have i know but it was made and i went private and it was the best thing i have ever done 60lbs in a year i have lost and although its gonna take me 9 years to pay for it it has been worth it every penny i just wish like you that the nhs took into consideration the affect that being severly over weight has on your life and take it seriously, unfortunatly the general public make out that having a band is the easy option but its not its just a tool to stop you over eating, binging,comfort eating etc as i still comfort eat but after a mouth full your stuffed. We all have bad days even with a band. So just hang in there it will all be worth it.

sorry for waffling on its just that i love my band his my best mate:smile2:

Just hearing that someone else is making a decision that really should be yours makes me feel so sad and would make me feel trapped because of someone else's opinion. I am so sorry. I have used Meridia (Reductil) in the past and combined it with Xenical and lost 35 #'s but walked constantly but slowly gained it all back and more. I am determined to have the surgery even though at this point the therapist who did my assessment withheld the results not wanting to send it on to the bariatric center. After a call to the bariatric center who instructed I call her to let her know she needed to send the assessment to the center. Now I'm trying to find a therapist to deal with this food addiction prior to surgery. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that there are so many variables to wade through. Each center and doctor, the clinican who does the assessment and the insurance company all have their own their own criteria. As this isn't enough, each of these entities doesn't inform of each of their criteria. You should research Meridia. While it works, it's reported loss as I recall is not really very significant and once you stop taking it you may be back to where I am now. Good luck. You sound very strong. This will happen. :-) Pangea

hi sorry to hear you didnt get the result you wanted if it any help i found reductil really good and lost 5 stone in 3 months on but it ushed up my blood pressure so had to stop it then the weight all crept back on but it can work well makes you feel full after a small meal but give it time, if that doesnt work and you have tried xenocol then you can try again for banding

I too did the same as you, walked into my doctors and burst into tears....6mths later I am now banded!!! BUT.....at a cost of £5000!!! The GP and Hospital were just no use, I too have had all the tablets, Orlistat I lost 3stone on 3 yrs ago but gained it all back on and Redicutil did nothing for me as I suffer from low blood pressure so it didn't increase it enough to make it work!!! The endocronologist just sat there and advised me to gain another 2 stone to meet the criteria of Sheffield PCT!!!! (even though I do meet the NHS criteria)....it is all down to the postcode lottery and I had just had enough, so went and spoke nicely to my bank manager and 3 weeks in it's the best decision I have ever made!!

I hope you PCT aren't bumping your hopes up of getting the op on the NHS, ask your doctor what your PCT's criteria is, she may have looked at the NHS one, but it's likely to be different!!

Good Luck and keep smiling, but if you can do it, I recommend the private route!!

nhs will bump ppl off if they can, the legal guidlines or a bmi of 40 plus or 35 with co morbilities, shame on them !

There is nothing "legal" about the guidelines, they are exactly what they say they are guidelines. It would be fantastic if every nhs trust could and would follow those guidelines exactly but the fact they don't has nothing to do with legality.

Katie dont give up -try all you can then at least your GP can put you forward. Mr Hewin is the surgeon who operates in your area. He is having an evening about obesity surgery at the Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital, Hatherley Lane at 6.30pm on the 4th November (tomorrow). go along if you can and get some info so you will be well informed when you have surgery.

Hi Katie, I have just returned from my seminar after being referred on the NHS, it seems like a long process, but the surgeon has to make sure you have exhausted every other route before they will take your case on. I used Xenical on two seperate occasions and regained the weight back on, they want to know if you have seen any dieticians or attended any diet classes also.

Its a total lifestyle change and you have got to be prepared to give it your all and do as they say or you wont get the surgery.

Its best if you try the medication from your doctor first and try and stick to a balanced diet, this does work for many people, if thats no use and if you are still not happy, your doctor should refer you and the ball starts rolling from there.

Im 22, my bmi is 44, i been overweight since i was a child, i tired every diet you name it, herbal diet pills, my gp have gave me different types of diet pills, nothing seem to work with me. i was on liquid diet with lighterlife in 2005 and managed to loss 10kg in 3 weeks thats 22pounds which was amazing for me to loss that much. since then my weight started going up and down light a yow-yow.

In December 08, i have asked my Gp in london, what she thought of me having lapband, i told her i was going to middle east in Syria to get it done there because i can't offord to do it in private in UK.. She offered me to do it in NHS and reffered to the hosptial, i had my appointment to see the doctor in feb 09, since then i had to see the dietitian, and have my sleep study and finally see the psychologist.

The psychologist needs to get to the bottom of the reason why you over eat!!! and that you are in a stable mental condition to deal with life post operation. ( BE HONEST WITH THEM AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT MENTION THAT YOU HAD HARMED YOURSELF FOR NOT LOSSING WEIGHT IN THE PAST).

On the 08 of July 09, I was finally approved for the lapband. I sow my surgeon and he then gaved me my operation date on the 11 of august 09.

Im scared but at the same time im so happy to get though on NHS.

Tips, Most important part is to have a good history record on the Gp system, such as pain on the legs of been over weight, and get your gp to give you diet pills such as reductil, xencal, Acomplia, metformin and sends you to dietition. ( if your gp don't mention these diet pills to you, you mention it to your doctor). I asked for reductil and xencal and acomplia but at the end after not lossing much weight she recommended metformin. I didn't loss much and i got fid up with pills.

If you don't loss weight, she can refer you to get lapband without refusing. I dont have health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure. but I do admit I have PCOS- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome , which is the main problem for not lossing weight.

I hope this information is helpful.

Goodluck with your journey.

:)

Manal Rajab