Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help!! my surgery is 2 days away and i have a sinus infection coming on!

This is bad. :thumbup:

I HAVE SURGERY TUESDAY MORNING AT 6:30AM.

I think I have a sinus infection coming on:angry:.....what can i do to make sure I keep my surgery date?:biggrin:

Can they still do the surgery with a sinus infection?

What should I do??? Is a steroid shot even an option at this point?

THANKS GUYS!!!

Do you get steroids for sinus infections? I never have; they can make you prone to other infections and harder to heal so I'd say no.

And I don't think you can have nor would want surgery with a sinus infection...call your surgeon tomorrow and see what s/he says. Good luck...if you have to postpone a little it will be for the best. Recovery is easy but does take it out of you; you want to be at 100% before you have the surgery done!

call your primary care physician tomorrow and get a prescription for azythromycin, a "z-pack". You'll be better in no time.

Good luck!

You still need to tell your surgeon and the anesthesiologist...you may risk your life if you don't. Best case scenario they can adjust for your compromised situation.

I got my z pack on the sunday before my surgery for a sinus infection. I had my fingers crossed until the day before surgery. I called the surgeons office and told them I was being treated for a sinus infection. They called me back saying no way would they do it. She said the increase of pneumonia is too high, even though a sinus infection is upper respiratory. I rescheduled for a week later and I am soo glad I did. Good luck Tamara

Stay away from the steroids at this point. I too was thinking that since I work at an emergi center. I know steroids can increase bleeding during surgery. Just reschedule you will be thanking yourself later. I took that extra week to eat real food for 2 days!!!! (per my dr permission) I did some soul searching, got some things in order in my head. I hung out with my kids more since I was feeling better and it was pretty much a blessing for the delay. I was much more prepared waiting that extra week.

Edited by Tamihott

I had a bad cold, possibly a sinus infection, during my surgery. I got it a few days before and I told my doctor about it the morning of the surgery. My surgeon assured me that it wouldn't be a problem. He told me something about modern day anesthetics that are being administered at lower doses and also pointed out the fact that this was elective surgery and so I was otherwise healthy. My surgery went on without a hitch and I had an extremely good recovery.

Good luck!

I had the same situation. My sinuses started acting up the weekend before my surgery. I made an appointment with my PCP. She gave me an antibiotic shot and a prescription for antibiotics. I am actually still taking the antibiotics for a few days after surgery. Just call them, the worse thing that they can say is postpone the surgery. If they do, it will be for your health. Good luck to you.

I agree what with others have said, but I wanted to chime in and say what a bummer! I got a sore throat a couple of days before surgery, and was so worried it was going to go into a full-blown cold. My paperwork said they might delay surgery in the case of illness (for my own well-being, which I appreciate). The problem was I had flown my mom out to help me for a week, would have had to wait months to find another good time to do it - the thought of delay just made me cry in frustration.

I ended up being okay, but it was hard for a couple of days. Hope you make it through okay!

I also had the same issue before my surgery, which took place today. My surgeon told me that if I had a nasal infection that I could not have the surgery done and would have to put it off. Lucky for me it everything was ok and my congestion was slight.

This is bad. :dita:

I HAVE SURGERY TUESDAY MORNING AT 6:30AM.

I think I have a sinus infection coming on:angry:.....what can i do to make sure I keep my surgery date?:biggrin:

Can they still do the surgery with a sinus infection?

What should I do??? Is a steroid shot even an option at this point?

THANKS GUYS!!!