Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 51 lbs., took new photo...disappointed!

Hey Cheryl,

You can definitely see the difference. You can see your hourglass shape now.

I just posted a series of pics from my first year on the main pics page and the difference from day 1 through 6 months is not so noticeable compared with 6 months through 1 year where it is huge. But my weight loss has been the same for each of those 6 month periods.

Keep it up.

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan -- I will check those out!

Jonathan -- and anyone else who might have some experience with a plateau -- did you experience being stuck at the same weight for a while? For more than a month, I keep wavering at around 201-202, sometimes higher, but never lower -- and it's driving me crazy!!!

I have become convinced that I will never lose those 50+ additional pounds. I've also read that if one doesn't lose all their weight in the first year (and my first year comes up in the beginning of April), that you can pretty much expect that it isn't going to happen. :biggrin:

Thanks, Jonathan -- I will check those out!

Jonathan -- and anyone else who might have some experience with a plateau -- did you experience being stuck at the same weight for a while? For more than a month, I keep wavering at around 201-202, sometimes higher, but never lower -- and it's driving me crazy!!!

I have become convinced that I will never lose those 50+ additional pounds. I've also read that if one doesn't lose all their weight in the first year (and my first year comes up in the beginning of April), that you can pretty much expect that it isn't going to happen. :tongue2:

I have plateaued many times this past year only to have the weight pour off in a matter of weeks. I have no idea why it is but I read about this often.

I was stuck at 207 for the longest time and then boom! 2 weeks later and I'm at 198.

I've never read anywhere about the first years loss being all you can expect and I would assume it is a myth as the year is simply a human way to measure time and is simply the amount of time it takes for the earth to make one orbit of the sun. It has no bearing on anything else. One year and one day would be the same as one year minus one day.

you look great i feel the same way i lost 42 pds i dont see it but i went from a 24/26 to 18/20 that alone makes you feel good and you have to get smaller clothes so you can feel good thats what it took for me i was wearing all my big clothes and couldnt tell when i bought one new pair of pants i could tell the difference and you look so much different:thumbup:

I know how you feel. I have lost 30lbs and everyone keeps telling me, "I can see it in your face. You look great." But, I don't see it myself. I can feel it though. I know by the scale moving down that I am loosing weight, but when I look at myself in the mirror in the morning, I see the same person. I guess my problem is I haven't taken any new pictures of myself. I don't have that other person prespective. All I can see is what I know I have always looked like, not what others are looking at.

And, I agree with everyone else. You look great!! I understand the clothes thing. I am scared to start buying new ones, but I am swiming in everything I own. I feel like I am in some weird limbo. Like if I buy new clothes, the scale will stop moving.

Good luck on the plateau...you will jump soon. I think the plateau is all part of it. You body has to do alot of adjusting...

Although I realize that 51 lbs. in 5 3/4 months is decent weight loss, and despite the fact that I feel thinner, I finally took a "during" photo -- and can now see why my weight loss isn't apparent to others...because it actually isn't all that apparent. Yes, the spare tire is reduced substantially, but the rest of me doesn't seem to have caught up! I've dropped three sizes, but I guess when you're still fat, you're still fat, lol.

I've never posted any photos of myself before, but here are my "before" and "during" photos.

Very disappointing.

photostream

photostream

I'm right there with you! My surgery date was 5/19/08 and I am down 50 pounds. Some people come up and compliment and call me skinny (which I am far from) while others (usually family members) say "you can't tell that you've lost 50 pounds" or "you still have more to lose". It hurts my feelings but if you think about it, 50 pounds is alot of weight! We never could have done it without the surgery! One time I went to Jenny Craig and after 8 months I lost 35 pounds and was sooo proud...then gained it ALL back plus some. As long as we are losing, BE HAPPY! In order to lose more I could probably step up the exercising a bit! SO, congratulations on your weight loss and remember it can take up to 3 years with the lap band to lose your desired weight.

I can definitely tell a difference!! You're looking much slimmer! What I've noticed, when looking at a lot of before and after pics, is the shape does seem to be the same but smaller, in most cases. I think the people whose shape has changed, are the ones that have really stepped up their exercise, i.e. running, weight lifting, yoga, etc. I don't know what you're exercise program is, but maybe if you started something with strength training, you'll see your body transform. Good luck!

Just look at how that shirt is hanging in folds down from your boobs, instead of clinging around the tummy now - this is a really noticeable difference. You need to get some better fitting clothes now, to show off the new waistline!

Also, to add to other's comments, no-one seemed to notice my weight loss for the first 25kg!! Yet, in the next 5kg, everyone was commenting and I can really see the difference in the last 7kg... Funny how that works out...

I just had my checkup on Friday...my weight hasn't budged for about six weeks, so I had a slight fill (from 5.8 up to 6.0)...hopefully, the scale will start moving soon.

I guess I really shouldn't be focusing on how I look (or imagine I look), as much as how I feel -- which is SO much better than I have in a long time. Although I'm still not quite closing in on my goal, I guess I've done pretty good so far, and just need to be more patient. After all, I didn't go from 147 to 252 in a matter of months (although it didn't take all that long, relatively, lol!), but I sure have lost more in the past several months than I have at any point previously.

You guys are THE BEST!

When I hit a plataue I add more Protein to my diet, 100 to 120 grams for 3 days and that usually gets me going again. I shoot for 80-100 grams per day.

You look FABOLOUS! Most people didn't notice my weight lost until about 65lbs. For the first 50 to 60lbs I was still wearing the same clothes.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. Actually, the scale is moving again, largely due to the "jump start" of having a fill and needing to do liquids and mushies for a few days. I have found that being "forced" into doing this helps me in a couple of ways: 1.) Even if it's largely Water loss, just seeing any loss on the scale is encouraging and gets me motivated, and 2.) Water loss or not, just shifting gears by having to do liquids and mushies veers me away from not-so-good choices.

Of course, I can't have a fill every month for the rest of my life, so I really need to be able to "shift gears" on my own! I guess it's all part of the learning process.