Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to deal with misinformation?

I am a member of a large board, and it has a diet and exercise section.

In said section, it has a weight loss surgery thread. In this thread there are always women asking about WLS options. The RNYers give their point of view on the band, as well as their surgery. One went as far as to say that it didnt work, and not to bother (not in so may words, but you get the idea)

A few ladies have asked about the band lately, and the RNYers, are giving just plain wrong information on the band, that I have to set straight. How do you deal with this? It is really frustrating me.

Cavete Emptor ( I think - buyer beware) I would hope the people looking for information on different surgeries are not solely depending on what people say on a message boards. Of course people are going to try and steer anyone into what they had done. Just like buying a car, or moving into a particular neighborhood etc.

I have found this board to be wonderfully supportive and full of good information with an occassional, that's good to know but "not for me" feeling.

This is such a personal decision. I hope people who are making a WLS Decision look at all infor out there and evaluate it by which it's coming.

My roomie at the hospital chose the by pass because her husband didn't like the thought of a port in her abdomin. That sounded weel thought out to me. NOT!

There are no free rides with any decision. There is hard work and dedication required. Research everything!

You could always say something like

"look, you RNY folks are experts on your WLS, but you don't have a clue about the band because you don't have one. You are experts on the explosive diahrea politely called "dumping." You are experts on the issue around malnutrishion, not me.

You don't have a band, so you can not speak to it or it's issues. I DO have a band, and I am an expert on chewing, making good food choices, and perhaps even the mighty PB."

Ooooo, good one Vinesqueen!

I'd really post a link to LBT. That way they can look for themselves if they are really interested. Or you can mention that if anyone would like info about the band from someone who actually HAS one, please PM you, or whatever feature that board uses.

Hey! Post the link to your board and a bunch of us can show up there and lurk and post and generally harrass all the rude know-it-all RNYers with the wrong info. That'd be fun!

I'd really post a link to LBT.
I agree. Also, it's probably not worth getting into an argument over medical issues with the RNY crowd. How about just relating your experience with the band? Readers should get their hard-core medical info elsewhere, but there's nothing like an internet board for learning about day-to-day life as a bandster. (Caveat emptor: buyer beware; caveat lector: reader beware.)

I think that you will find that everyone is pretty much fiercely loyal to their type of WLS. I know I have said that I would NEVER have bypass or RNY. A lot of those folks would say the same thing about a band. I would just focus on what you believe in and get your information from reliable sources. It does "suck" when others put down the band, but you know....that's their loss.

Best of luck to you.

I've learend to let what the bypass patient say go right through me,

Time will tell, when the bypass patients are having health problems bypass related and are gaining their weight back because their pouches are stretched ..I get all the satisfaction I need :D

For every person I have told about my band, they have all known someone who had the bypass and had some kind of problems whether it be malabsorption issues, weight gain, other major organ problems, they see me and I do not look like i had weight loss surgery, my skin tone is beautiful, I do not look gaunt, nor do I look flabby like bypass patients do. Iam my best advertisement for the band

Maybe you can refer them to yesterday's t.v. program "The View". There was one bypass and one lap-band success story. The lap-bander looked better, in my opinion. Oh yes, the bypass lady mentioned that her sister had the procedure a year later and died from it. That would have been a good time to point out the benefits of the band, but, oops, out of time.

It's kind of weird....when I went to the support group put on by my surgeons, all the RNY'ers were REALLY down on the band. They basically said it wouldn't work and I wasn't brave enough to do a "permanent" solution. They kind of looked down their collective nose at me.

So kept doing research and found that after a year or so, the pouch of an RNY patient will relax. Thus the person can eat more. Even the RNY'ers there said "get all you can in the first year because it gets hard after that". To me the band is MORE long term solution because even tho the pouch will still relax some, with the band you can still get good restriction going forward. It just seems like a good choice.

You know, each person has to pick what works for them based on research (and more than just one online forum).

Just pretend you are throwing up and say, "sorry, I wasn't able to digest that, which is something you should understand better than me."

I prefer the obnoxious yet convincing approach.

Thanks everyone. I am glad I am not the only one who has experienced this sort of negitive attitude towards the band, although I wish I was the only one, and people could be more accepting.

I have linked to LapBank Talk more than once. I hope they found their way here.

Thanks again.

What I usually do when someone like that is on a board, I look to see if there is a private message option and just write a nice note that I don't want an argument on the board. I also tell a little bit about how the band has been positive for me. List this site and the inamed site. I also tell them to Private message me back if they have any questions.

If there is not a private message option, I post that I have a band and if they want more information to let me know. If they respond we exchange emails.

Even on our local yahoo support board, I don't want fights about which doctor is better etc., so I keep my posts short and simple and if they want more info, let me know.

Hope that helps.

LOL 'cept dumping isn't diarrhea :).

Nancy

You could always say something like

"look, you RNY folks are experts on your WLS, but you don't have a clue about the band because you don't have one. You are experts on the explosive diahrea politely called "dumping." You are experts on the issue around malnutrishion, not me.

You don't have a band, so you can not speak to it or it's issues. I DO have a band, and I am an expert on chewing, making good food choices, and perhaps even the mighty PB."

I will correct misinformation, and refer them to bandster-specific resources and use the analogy: "Would you go to a Toyota dealer to find out about a Honda or vice versa??"

But it really is amazing what RNY and DS patients think they know about banding...it's usually cr*p their surgeon, trying to sell them on their preferred procedure, tells them to convince them not to consider banding. Amazing how ill-informed many surgeons are as well.

Nancy

LOL 'cept dumping isn't diarrhea :).

Nancy

See, this is exactly why I don't try to give advice to RNY folks. I know NOTHING about it.

So... in otherwords, Giveyouthemoon, they were saying you didn't have the guts? Heh heh heh, who doesn't have the guts now vomit-boy??