Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

For all of you living in FEAR, for all of you with negative comments and judgements about others and their beliefs...go ahead and continue to live in fear. It is not going to do any good for this country. Hope has won and will be what we have to look forward to. This is an amazing time in history and a time to celebrate!

When I view all of the celebration over Obamas win, I see all of the happiness over a first in this country. While this is a wonderful thing to be happy about (Our first African American President) it is not a celebration for me. The color of a persons skin was not my reason for voting for a president. I wish mcCain were an African American, then he would have won. I certainly can understand why all people of color would want to see the day when the president of the United States were a black man. This is a great historical moment. But, climbing over all the racial hurdles in this country was not a good enough reason to vote for an inexperienced man who seems to me to be dishonest, who wants to spread the wealth around, who doesn't have a care for the unborn children, and whom I believe wouldn't ask God for guidance every morning before he begins his work day. God help our country.

The bible tells us that in the end times, it doesn't get better, it only gets worse. So, I see this as a sign that we are only closer to the return of Jesus.

America gets the leadership it chooses. Now we wait and see.

People have been predicting the end of the world for centuries...and we are still here. I'm sure there will be many people with their sandwich boards wondering around dazed yelling "The end is near!"

I just don't understand people who are arrogant enough to assume they can predict the end of the world, or translate verses written thousand of years ago and say they know exactly what God meant.

I have heard the word "anti christ" thrown around down here. I heard that about Bill Clinton too, when I was 11. In fact. My southern baptist preacher of a principal made the entire school get down on their knees so he could pray over the intercom that Clinton wouldn't win. Guess what. He did. Guess what? The world didn't end. I think, once again, it is arrogant even if you DO believe that their is an anti christ to assume he comes from America.

I for one am excited that Obama won, because he was the closer canidate to my own beliefs. I do like McCain, and if he would have won, you wouldn't have seen me predicting the end of it all. Then again I would never assume I was qualified to do that. Eight years ago I would have voted for McCain, but he let his campaign managers ruin him, and then he picked Palin *shudder*

You do have to admit that the first Non white president is a big deal, whether you like him or not.

I think if you can't Celebrate the president, I'm glad people can celebrate that one hurdle has been passed for America and now doors will be opened.

There are many more hurdles in the way. But I am happy I am alive, old enough to vote, and able to witness this historic moment.

I don't think that McCain would have won no matter what color he was, I think too many people were angry at the Republican party. I think McCain could have been a good president, especially eight years ago. I wish that he would have won that primary, not Bush...then again you can't blame that on me, I wasn't allowed to vote in that primary.

Go America!

Edited by ReadySteadyGo

if someone voted for President Elect Obama only due to him being part African American well that's just pathetic.

i voted for him for several reasons, mainly because McCain was just way too much like Shrub... and i think bringing back the taxes to the big corporations is not a bad thing.

President Elect Obama stated he will not take away my right to choose, although I would choose life, noone has the right to dictate that choice to me.

Edited by losingjusme
emphasis

I don't think that McCain would have won no matter what color he was, I think too many people were angry at the Republican party.

I absolutely disagree. I have voted in several elections where I currently live and also voted in the last presidential election. The demographics were absolutely different this year than any other time. Overwhelmingly different. I truely think that if the races had been reversed, as would the results. Don't get me wrong, I think it is wonderful that so many people got out and registered, and voted. But I feel that many did it for the wrong reasons.

if someone voted for President Elect Obama only due to him being part African American well that's just pathetic.

And it is equally pathetic those people who would not vote for him because he was black. I know several people like that and have given them a piece of my mind. Sometimes I wish we could have blind elections, where you only get the ideas and platform of the candidates, but not the gender, ethnicity, or any other physical attribute.

The world didn't end. I think, once again, it is arrogant even if you DO believe that their is an anti christ to assume he comes from America.

That was/is my first thought when these end of the world folks get jumping (sorry to say my Mom is one of 'em) It shows how narrow minded folks can be. Of all the atrocities that have happened in this WORLD throughout history , all the terrible things happening now in other countries (and ours) what it is actually going to come down to is who won the 2008 presidential election in the United States...that will be the final factor in bringing an end to this world :biggrin:...just seems too narrow-minded to me.

Obviously if you all think we voted for Obama just because of his skin color you didn't watch his speech last night. I was brought to tears and he is really the first President I have voted for that I can actually be proud to say I did!

... and i think bringing back the taxes to the big corporations is not a bad thing.

I most certainly agree, but guess what? Do you really think they are going to eat up the tax increase from their profit? I think not, it will most definately be passed onto the consumer, you and me. We will be paying the corporations higher taxes when we go shopping.

I am excited for him to spread the wealth, since I have none to spread, maybe I can get somebody else's!!! Woo Hoo!!!

You certainly put alot of words in my mouth once again that I didn't say! I NEVER predicted the end of the world.(only that every day that passes is one day closer to the end, and that things in this world will only get worse as each day passes.(and this is not MY prediction, but what God says) WOW! Did I call OBama the Antichrist????

I am very happy for the celebration of getting over the race hurdle, and am happy that this country can have a president of any race. But like I said before, choosing the next president should not be based on the color of a persons skin, but on charater, integrity, honesty, experience,etc.

I believe that if McCain were a black candidate, he would have been the winner. The people have been waiting for a time such as this, and alot of them voted based on his skin color. My own daughter admits to that. She's 21 years old, black and white, and says she wanted a black president. Some of my coworkers that are black told me the same thing.

This is one thing I don't understand. People of color want racism to end, yet they segregate themselves at times. Like setting up organizations like 'The Negro collge fund' or 'BET (black entertainment Television) or even in Lap band talk with the 'WOC' (women of color) thread. If white people Had a 'WPO' (white people only) thread here, they would be jumped all over. It would be called racism. They defend their title (WOC) by saying "white is a color." If white is a color, then why have a WOC thread?, just post on any of the other threads out there.

I can only hope that the issue of racism in this country will now end with this election. But I fear that all the other (and to me the more important) issues will be affected negatively, and that's a shame, because the country put getting over the hurdle of racism ahead of what's right. Instead of voting for the candidate with the better moral character, they chose the candidate whose skin was darker. Oh, they'll never admit that it was for that reason, but as you can see how they are celebrating the victory on the race issue in the news today, you know it WAS for that reason.

That was/is my first thought when these end of the world folks get jumping (sorry to say my Mom is one of 'em) It shows how narrow minded folks can be. Of all the atrocities that have happened in this WORLD throughout history , all the terrible things happening now in other countries (and ours) what it is actually going to come down to is who won the 2008 presidential election in the United States...that will be the final factor in bringing an end to this world :biggrin:...just seems too narrow-minded to me.

Jodi- My mom was one of those too. She is an smart, wonderful lady...but we don't agree on anything.

Obviously if you all think we voted for Obama just because of his skin color you didn't watch his speech last night. I was brought to tears and he is really the first President I have voted for that I can actually be proud to say I did!

I do not think that everyone voted for Obama because of his skin color. I think many (hopefully most) people who voted for him voted because of his platform and want for change. But I also believe that race did play a factor.

And it is equally pathetic those people who would not vote for him because he was black. I know several people like that and have given them a piece of my mind.

unfortunately, i'm the 'black sheep' (pardon the pun) of the family - my entire family voted for McCain - a few of them simply because B.O. is black... it's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving...

I do not think that one bit... not everyone. another message board i'm a moderator on (maternity related) had someone post last night that it's about time there is a black president and even though she doesnt agree with his views, she voted for him cause he's black and she thinks he's cute... (she is black)

You certainly put alot of words in my mouth once again that I didn't say! I NEVER predicted the end of the world.(only that every day that passes is one day closer to the end, and that things in this world will only get worse as each day passes.(and this is not MY prediction, but what God says) WOW! Did I call OBama the Antichrist????

I am very happy for the celebration of getting over the race hurdle, and am happy that this country can have a president of any race. But like I said before, choosing the next president should not be based on the color of a persons skin, but on charater, integrity, honesty, experience,etc.

I believe that if McCain were a black candidate, he would have been the winner. The people have been waiting for a time such as this, and alot of them voted based on his skin color. My own daughter admits to that. She's 21 years old, black and white, and says she wanted a black president. Some of my coworkers that are black told me the same thing.

This is one thing I don't understand. People of color want racism to end, yet they segregate themselves at times. Like setting up organizations like 'The Negro collge fund' or 'BET (black entertainment Television) or even in Lap band talk with the 'WOC' (women of color) thread. If white people Had a 'WPO' (white people only) thread here, they would be jumped all over. It would be called racism. They defend their title (WOC) by saying "white is a color." If white is a color, then why have a WOC thread?, just post on any of the other threads out there.

I can only hope that the issue of racism in this country will now end with this election. But I fear that all the other (and to me the more important) issues will be affected negatively, and that's a shame, because the country put getting over the hurdle of racism ahead of what's right. Instead of voting for the candidate with the better moral character, they chose the candidate whose skin was darker. Oh, they'll never admit that it was for that reason, but as you can see how they are celebrating the victory on the race issue in the news today, you know it WAS for that reason.

I haven't read your post yet, but what you said just reminded me of the things I've been hearing around here, not that you said them, it just had the same ring. I was talking about the issues not you directly this time. Sorry if it came out wrong. Now let me read the rest of your post. I said "down here" about anti christ. I meant where I live, in louisiana. Get me? "Down here" means louisiana, it's a common term here. I forgot that some people who haven't grown up here wouldn't know that. The things you said reminded me of the things I've heard.

Ok. So I will give you that some people voted for Obama because of skin color....but some people voted against Obama because of skin color. I do not think he won because of race, but I think that celebrating that he won despite his race is understandable.

I hope the issue dies because of this election too, look, something we can halfway agree on. Imagine that.

Maybe next time someone that isn't republican wins we won't say it's because he was black, we will say he had the better campaign. And Obama did, whether you were Republican or Democrat, or neither like me, Obama's campaign was tighter and ran better. I've said many times, I like McCain, but his campaign just didn't go well.

I'm not going to touch the comments on segregation.

For jodi and readystady go: maybe you should try to be more open to what your moms have to say. They are smarter, (like you said) older, and wiser and have the truth.

Old doesn't mean right.

My grandmother still throws around the "N" word and won't watch movies with interracial couples. The lady who raised my mom. My Mom is better and more open minded, but she is clouded by the way she was raised.

I am smart enough to know that I can love them, respect them, and know that they are 100 percent wrong.

Edited by ReadySteadyGo
I can't type when I'm shocked.