Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to all the self pay people

hello, i am going to be a self pay for lap band surgery...and i was curious...do patients have to just thru as many hoops if they are self paying? such as tests, history, etc?

Your surgeon may require additional tests, data, etc but generally no.

I got mine done at the OCC in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. I had to fill out some forms and do a pre-op diet - but it was only about a month between my first contact with them and my surgery - very fast!! And affordable - and he's one of the best lap band surgeons in the world.

I have no idea what the process is like in the states, but it definitely costs at least twice as much.

Good luck!

i was banded in april 2008 and i was self pay.

my surgeon was 4 hours away from home so i was able to get all my testing done in one day instead of multiple visits. i met with the surgeon and the nutritionist during my initial consultation and the blood test, EKG and mandatory 2 hour nutrition class a week later.

i had my surgery within 30 days of my initial consultation! i did still have to follow the 2-week liquid diet prior to surgery but i didn't have to do a 6 month diet or show proof that i've tried other methods of weight loss.

Actually there's a doc in aurora co who does the surgery for I think 9500...there are competitive US surgeons.

I was self pay with Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver. I had no hoops to jump through. I made my appointment and surgery was 5 weeks later.

I was self pay with Dr. Chau in New Jersey. I had surgery three weeks after my initial consultation. I met with the Dr. & nutritionist on August 13th, had my pre-admission testing on August 19th & had surgery on September 5th. The hospital wrote on their charts that this was "cosmetic surgery" which it absolutely was not - but they required their full payment of $8000 at the pre-admission testing date. The surgeon charged $5500 for his fees (reduced for cash pay - usually $7000.) I am waiting for the anesthesiologist bill. I was told that should be about $2000. I am hoping that I don't get any other bill for the meds I enjoyed in the hospital for my 1 overnight stay :) Altogether, I was charged about $16,000. I was not placed on a liquid diet (I had a 43 BMI and was told that liquid diets are advised for those with a 50 BMI.)

I am happy with my decision although it really is a huge expense. It is the first thing I have done just for me in a long time.

Enjoy your journey.

Amanda

Surgery date: September 5, 2008

Weight Loss: 8 1/2 pounds (it has been just one week!)

Goal Loss: 100 pounds (91 1/2 to go)

I am also One of Dr. Kirshenbaums patients. I am having surgery Nov. 19th. No tests, just phone consults with Dr. K and the nutritionist. And a pre-op appointment the day before surgery. No hoops at all. Plus the 9950 price was great for me. Considering the costs of cash pays across the country. :)

Self Pay = No Hoops

3 weeks from initial consult to surgery.

Had to get some basic blood work and a preop form from my GP.

Money Talks

There are a lot less hoops if you self-pay but there are still hoops. I had to do a nutritional consult, a psych eval, an EKG, an Upper GI, a Cardiac Stress Test, labs and a physical. The physical usually includes a PAP and Mammogram but I had them done less than a year ago so they accepted those instead of demanding new ones. What tests you get depends on your pre-op symptoms. I probably didn't really need the Stress Test as it turns out.

But no 3, 6 or 12 month diet, no classes, no documentation of 2 - 5 years of weights, no having to submit a list co-morbidities and other documentation of medical necessity, etc. I could have had surgery 2-3 weeks after my first surgical consult if I'd wanted to.