Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can't Believe I'm Asking This...

yes your naked during the procedure and if that is really your biggest concern, maybe you need to reevaluate your priorities.

Now, now, tarrn13, it's not abnormal at all to feel nervous about being naked in front of strangers, even if they are medical people, especially if you have body image issues, which many overweight people have. I'm sure there's many people who've been very successful with their weight loss after lap band have had the same fears.

for me, everything happened so fast the day of my surgery that it never even crossed my mind that i would most likely be naked!

i was supposed to be the second to last surgery of the day so i was just chilling in the pre-op room... they said i had about 2 hours before it was my turn so the nurse was taking her time getting my IV's set up.

she was going to give me something for my nerves but before she could, my surgeon decided to move me up on the surgery schedule and the next thing i knew i was being wheeled into the OR... mask placed over my nose and next think i knew i was waking up in recovery!

i do know that i had on the same exact gown that i went in with because it was about 10 times bigger than it was supposed to be but we were kinda rushed lol

Sorry guys, but you will be COMPLETELY naked during the surgery...So make sure you get nice and shaved up..lolol! Its not that bad, they will give you an REALLY LARGE hospital gown before you go into surgery and they tell you that you must take everything off underneath. They will very tactfully uncover you only inside the actual surgical room right as you are about to be strapped down and sedated...Also here is another news flash, the day of the surgery, you have to meet with a whole slew of Doctors that are involved with your surgery and most of them need to see some part of your bare midriff area, also the doctor may even come in and write on your abdomen...its ok, they do this surgery all the time and theyhave see better and worse...

FYI, I hate for ANYONE to see me naked except my husband so it was a difficult thing for me too, I just swallowed my pride, got my brazillian wax on, freshly shaved my legs and underarms, got my hands, toes, and hair done and hoped for the best...

I am pretty sure my hospital gown stayed on (at leas on the top) as they put my I.V. in my arm with it on & strapped my arms down to boards that stuck out from th sides of the table while I was still awake.

I totally understand the tendency to lean toward shy. In fact, I'm new to the whole band world. I'm just getting started in the pre-op process, but this was one of my questions. I'm glad I'm not the only one...... Should I trim down there? Can I wear my under roos? Can I write in Sharpy just above my bikini line, "Eyes on the Prize Violet!"

These seem like logical questions to me.:omg_smile:

Love you believe that if you want! I can get a gown off over an IV! AND a board. :omg_smile: They really don't want you to be unhappy and so do wait as long as possible, and like I said, the parts not "in use" are draped and covered. You aren't lying there buck naked for all to see.

And I'd rather my doc see me "down there" than someone who went to cosmetology school give me a brazilian wax LOL

Trust me honey, they aren't looking at your nether regions at all. They will pull up your gown until it's under your boobs, but they laid a nice warm blankie across my lap and then laid the blue drape over that all in about 30 seconds. Don't worry about getting all neat-n-tidy...they aren't ever down there.

you all have to be kidding me! worried about brazillians and getting your nails done, ladies this not a date, as a medical professional (former labour and delivery nurse now ICU) we don't care about your how you've chosen to design your pubic hair, it's about a good safe outcome for the patient cause trust me we are not looking even though we are seeing, it's just part of our job.

I too am a healthcare professional. But I understand that people have fears. There is no reason to not ask them for fear that your going to be made fun of and knocked for asking the ridiculous. I think these are reasonable thoughts. Thats what these forums are all about. Asking random questions and getting replies from normal people like the rest.

No offense to anyone, but If you find her question silly, why not go answer someone elses questions.

Titaniff...I think the point is the question is unfounded, not silly.

I agree with you Titantiff....just because you have a fear of lying there naked (like I do) does NOT mean that all of sudden you have to go over your priorities. Seriously, do you really think we will not get the surgery just because of that?! Give me a break

I'm a future nurse. I don't ever want a patient to think I feel he or she is SILLY. HOWEVER, I also don't want a patient to think I would be less than professional in his or her care. Leering, joking, making fun of someone who is out and undressed is NOT professional. Once reassured, I would hope the patient would move on. It is not silly but it is not worth worrying about. Period.