Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really starting to worry

Sorry about all my posts. If I am annoying you all I can stop. I promise! :lol:

Is anyone else really paranoid about their liver? What if they get in there and can't do the surgery? I am self-pay so this is a one time shot.

I am following my pre-op diet. I even started it early. But what if it isn't enough? I want this surgery more than anything in the world. I even emailed my dr.'s office today to ask about fruit. They said fruit should be okay but after reading comments on my other post I am going to cut fruit out too.

Can you tell I am freaking out completely?:mad::eek::crying::scared2:

Yes, I am. I am sticking to my pre liquid diet to the letter but I still wonder is it enough to shrink my liver. Can you lose weight and not shrink your liver? :confused:I just have to trust the 2 weeks is enough to do it. I'm not self pay but I really want to have this done on my Sept 16th date it seems like it took so long to get here. I haven't read too many post about liver not shrinking enough to have the surgery so I am hoping it isn't the norm. Good Luck

I followed my pre-op diet to the letter, which allowed one small fruit/day, and it was a pretty liberal died compared to others I've seen. I had my surgery today, and my surgeon said my liver was in great shape.

I followed my pre-op diet to the letter, which allowed one small fruit/day, and it was a pretty liberal died compared to others I've seen. I had my surgery today, and my surgeon said my liver was in great shape.

You have definitely taken some of my "freaking out" away. I just want this so badly.

Yes, I am. I am sticking to my pre liquid diet to the letter but I still wonder is it enough to shrink my liver. Can you lose weight and not shrink your liver? :confused:I just have to trust the 2 weeks is enough to do it. I'm not self pay but I really want to have this done on my Sept 16th date it seems like it took so long to get here. I haven't read too many post about liver not shrinking enough to have the surgery so I am hoping it isn't the norm. Good Luck

The unknown is so scary. I wish there was some way we could feel our liver on the outside to see if it was shrinking. LOL

The unknown is so scary. I wish there was some way we could feel our liver on the outside to see if it was shrinking. LOL

First, I'm glad my post made you feel better!

Secondly, hearing that my liver looked so good from my doctor made me smile. I also wished along the way I could take a peek at my liver to see how it was doing. :crying:

Mustlove, I know at least one banster who has said she lost weight on her own diet rather than the doctor's and didn't get a liver shrink, but was banded a few weeks later. She followed her doctor's prescribed diet the second time, and that did the trick.

I won't be banded until near the end of the month but my surgeon's nurse said I could start my pre-op diet early. I, too, have been worried about my liver. I am following the diet very closely and praying that mine looks good when I get in there too.

My diet is all liquid (high Protein and low sugar juice) and I get to eat a Smart One, Healthy Choice, etc. meal for supper. I figure a month of doing that should have my liver in shape.

Still worried too.

Some doctors don't require a pre-op diet at all so it must not be that big of a deal. A friend of mind didn't lose anything on her pre-op and everything was fine. Later she asked the surgeon if he had ever not done a surgery because of the liver and he said no.

I don't want to take any chances though and plan on doing my liquid diet. Though my surgeon seems to be the strictest and it is a 10 day "clear" liquid diet. Protein shakes are okay but no caffene or any solid food at all.... I can feel the headache coming on already!

try not to worry..i know easier said than done.

if you want to shrink the liver its best to follow doctors orders. For me although i did a pre op diet...i didn't have to do one. It was my choice....i wanted my liver to be in the best shape and to reduce in size so that surgery was made easier and so that i had less time under anesthetic. there was another woman in with me having teh op and she didnt do a pre op diet watso ever but still had the surgery done.

as long as u stick to your pre op diets it will be fine....for me i was on 3 Protein shakes a day...but i was finding that i was getting hungry so i swapped one of the Protein Shakes for a lean Protein meal. which included skinned chicken and some leafy green veg. and it worked very well for me.

but again stick to what ur docs have said

xxxx

Sorry about all my posts. If I am annoying you all I can stop. I promise! :smile2:

Is anyone else really paranoid about their liver? What if they get in there and can't do the surgery? I am self-pay so this is a one time shot.

I am following my pre-op diet. I even started it early. But what if it isn't enough? I want this surgery more than anything in the world. I even emailed my dr.'s office today to ask about fruit. They said fruit should be okay but after reading comments on my other post I am going to cut fruit out too.

Can you tell I am freaking out completely?:thumbup::eek::tt2::scared2:

hi! i was banded feb 2008,

i have a family member in the medical field who of course gave me all the scenarios that can happen,freaking me out completely,but i went ahead,followed the doctors orders prior to and lost 20 lbs before surgery,and as of last fill i have lost a total 44 lbs.

on schedule with the 1 - 2lb a week,and i'm very happy,rather lose it slow than fast like the gastric,

i certainly realize the bad eating habits and how fast i ate

i still have to stop myself and its all reprogramming and taking on good healthy habits.

good luck!:tt2:

I think it just depends on what they see on your pre-surgery ultrasound. With mine they said I have a fatty liver. I was only 200 lbs then and lost 8 lbs with the liver shrinking diet. Then again that's alot for me as I am under 5 ft. tall.

I also some people say "it's only so the surgery is easier for the dr. so they can lift your liver" and that the diet isn't really necessary. That doesn't sit well with me because I think that if thry have you there on an operating table wouldn't you want them to make it as easy for them as possible? The more complicated it gets the riskier the surgery. The more complicated - the longer you're on that table. The longer you are on that table, the thougher the recovery. So it all comes back to affecting you!

Thats just my opinion. If they were concerned that the 2 weeks would not be enough, they would alsk for longer. As long as you follow the diet they way they say, you should be able to use the fat from your liver durning the, to put it mildly-controlled starvation.

Good luck!

I've been feeling concerned too. It seems like my WL has stalled since being on the pre-op diet!?

I'm having 2-3 Atkins shakes (blended with ice and a spoonful on ff/sf pudding mix)

1-2 meals of lean meat (7% fat or less) and green veggies.

1 cup of fruit

(I've had a tiny bit of FF italian salad dressing on my greens)

I started really noticing an increase in urinating yesterday, so hopefully it's working!

Sorry about all my posts. If I am annoying you all I can stop. I promise! :teeth_smile:

Can you tell I am freaking out completely?:thumbs_up::eek::shades_smile::scared2:

You are not paranoid, and you can NEVER post too much. I just figured out, we joined this group for support and that is why we are here for you! We are all going down the same road together, it is a long and scary journey. I think most of us are afraid of that "damn" liver. We have heard so much about the stupid thing. I heard even 10 pounds can shink your liver significiently! You are going to be okay, I promise. We can make it together.

I am afraid too, but I decided that I am going to take control of my health and my heart. I spoke to the Nutritionist because of my heart problem. I told her about my self imposed preop diet. I drink 2 to 3 glucerna or boost diabetic drinks a day and a high protien low carb meal a day. She told me this is fine, keep doing it. Weekends are hard, but I feel if I drink another glucerna or have some protien I am still doing great.

See - we all want little livers. I think the reason is because they need to lift it to get to your stomach. Smaller liver, easier for the Dr. Easier for the Dr, easier for you after.

And if you have read from some of the others, they did fine in surgery. YOU will too.

After all, you are a September Samurai, and September Samurai's kick butt!

You are not paranoid, and you can NEVER post too much. I just figured out, we joined this group for support and that is why we are here for you! We are all going down the same road together, it is a long and scary journey. I think most of us are afraid of that "damn" liver. We have heard so much about the stupid thing. I heard even 10 pounds can shink your liver significiently! You are going to be okay, I promise. We can make it together.

I am afraid too, but I decided that I am going to take control of my health and my heart. I spoke to the Nutritionist because of my heart problem. I told her about my self imposed preop diet. I drink 2 to 3 glucerna or boost diabetic drinks a day and a high protien low carb meal a day. She told me this is fine, keep doing it. Weekends are hard, but I feel if I drink another glucerna or have some protien I am still doing great.

See - we all want little livers. I think the reason is because they need to lift it to get to your stomach. Smaller liver, easier for the Dr. Easier for the Dr, easier for you after.

And if you have read from some of the others, they did fine in surgery. YOU will too.

After all, you are a September Samurai, and September Samurai's kick butt!

Thanks Debbie! I swear this board is my saving grace. Without all of you I think I would go crazy.

I have been following my pre-op diet. I started a week early. I feel pretty good about that. I made an appt. to see my primary care physician on Tuesday. I am going to talk to her about my "liverophobia". Maybe she can do an ultrasound or push on it or something to put my mind more at ease. LOL I am also hoping she can give me something for the anxiety I am feeling.

Who knew doing something so right could make you so crazy?!?!?:thumbup:

Thanks Debbie! I swear this board is my saving grace. Without all of you I think I would go crazy.

I have been following my pre-op diet. I started a week early. I feel pretty good about that. I made an appt. to see my primary care physician on Tuesday. I am going to talk to her about my "liverophobia". Maybe she can do an ultrasound or push on it or something to put my mind more at ease. LOL I am also hoping she can give me something for the anxiety I am feeling.

Who knew doing something so right could make you so crazy?!?!?:thumbup:

Michelle, thank god you just said that! I got something for my anxiety, just took one and feeling much much better :thumbup::wink: Yeah I better go to bed soon. Anyway with the EKG and all the crap and worry that the surgery would be cancelled so when they offered I took it. I don't like drugs, but you know jumping out of your skin is not good either. Let me know if she can feel to see if your liver has shrunk. I would start poking myself but I am afraid I will cause something else to go wrong.:thumbup: But truely I totally understand. During our seminar they told us how important it was to shrink the liver, obviously other Doctors are saying the exact same thing. If I could slip one of those tiny little pills through the screen for you I would, but just know I care. Huggs Debbie

Maybe we can we can start a sub group for all the

"crazy liverophobia ladies"

How much you want to bet we have a million members??? :lol:

I too am paranoid about my live, but I have been following my diet RELIGIOUSLY and I have not even been eating my allotted amounts of carbs (meager as they are) because of fear of my liver being too big.