Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi all im on day 2 of pre op diet which consists of 4 pints of milk a oxo drink and a bowl of jelly a day and im finding it starting to get harder i only have to be on it for another 4 days so why am i finding it so hard:sad:im determined not to cheat but its harder going than i thought it would be

You can do it. Go outside, clean out your closet, write down your feelings, watch movies, remind yourself that you are worth this. Hang in there I am thinking positive thoughts!!!!!! If they have sugar free popsicles where you are ( or make your own)--that's what got me through!

I am on day 8 of my 2 week liquid diet. Its hard, you will not get anyone to deny that. Many thoughts enter your head, my most common one is why did my doctor subject me to this. As you read througout this site, many people were not put on liquid diets. Regardless, ours did and its for the best. If the surgery is a little easier for the surgeon, then its got to be much better for us. Hang in there, I find not being home works best for me. Bored at home is what made me eat more. Go out, see friends or family or go catch a movie. Step away from the refridgerator!

Hi. We know where you are coming from. I am on day 13 of my 23 day pre-op diet. It is hard when I am home - like 3 day weekends. I do have to keep busy. When I feel like eating, I come on here and read people's comments, questions, and words of support. I also will clean a cupboard, a closet, etc. Leaving home is a good idea too. Anything to get your mind off of food. Hang in there.

Let me be a horrible warning. My doc put me on a sever 3-week preop diet. I did not follow his instructions; but I did lose 15 pounds. I didn't realize he had me doing it to shrink my liver which, because I did not follow his guidelines, was too fatty the first time he tried to place the band. So I came to in recovery on 8/11 with no band. Back on the diet (his way this time) for another 18 days and finally, 32 pounds down, my band was placed on 8/29. NOW I'm on liquids for another 2 weeks. I'm not going to lie and say it's a breeze, but I learned my lesson. I just try to distract myself when I get too hungry because I learned the hard way I need to do what my surgeon says!

Hang in there. It will get easier!

Hey everyone,

I'm post op four days and doing okay. My doctor never put me on liquids during the pre op diet phase. I was on Atkins (meat, cheese, egg and veggies) for two weeks. Same thing, to shrink liver for laproscopic band placement. I never heard of just liquids before the operation until I read some posts here. I lost ten lbs, but he was able to do it. Band is on, I'm on strick liquid diet until wed, and I graduate to mashed potates, yogurt and pudding. Keep up the good work, we will all be so cute/ handsome when we are done. Healthy too!

CJ in Florida

Dr. Webb's patient

Let me be a horrible warning. My doc put me on a sever 3-week preop diet. I did not follow his instructions; but I did lose 15 pounds. I didn't realize he had me doing it to shrink my liver which, because I did not follow his guidelines, was too fatty the first time he tried to place the band. So I came to in recovery on 8/11 with no band. Back on the diet (his way this time) for another 18 days and finally, 32 pounds down, my band was placed on 8/29. NOW I'm on liquids for another 2 weeks. I'm not going to lie and say it's a breeze, but I learned my lesson. I just try to distract myself when I get too hungry because I learned the hard way I need to do what my surgeon says!

Hang in there. It will get easier!

I started getting scared. I only had 10-15 pounds to loose but a few weeks ago I had gained 2 pounds. I kicked myself in the butt for the self destructive behaviour and I am on a strict diet, liquid for 2 meals and 1 light protien and veggie meal. I can't wait until tomorrow, they had better have a scale, I have my Stress EKG, Echo Cardiogram and all my remaining tests. I know I have lost. What keeps me going, fear of opening me up and saying SORRY LIVER IS TOO BIG. I have fatty liver so I am freaked out. Anyway I think I am going to surpass his requirement, all the better in the end.

How do you know you had a fatty liver? They didn't tell me...I guess I just assumed that at 405 pounds they "knew" it. I didn't realize how important it was so you are WAY ahead of the game! I KNOW you will do marvelously!

My Doctor had put me on Cholestrol Meds. They check your liver function. Well, it seems my liver tests raised up - a lot. My Doc told me I had fatty liver and it could cause problems and that I needed to loose weight. I didn't of course. So we waited and he checked them again. Still elavated. I had to cut down on the Cholestrol Meds, but still bad liver tests. Finally he told me I might have to go off the Meds, I thought he said to so I did. Well when my next liver test came back crappy he said well I guess you will need to go off the meds. You should have seen his face when I told him I already had. This was right after I had spoken to him about the band. So now I checked out Fatty Liver and found out what the real name is and how bad it is. And yes, it can kill your liver, which you can't live without.

So when the Surgeon spoke at the Seminar about shrinking the liver, I knew I was in deep do do. Anyway here is the defination. I don't drink so it freaks me out, I have seen an alcholic liver.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) refers to a wide spectrum of liver disease ranging from simple fatty liver (steatosis), to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), to cirrhosis (irreversible, advanced scarring of the liver). All of the stages of NAFLD have in common the accumulation of fat (fatty infiltration) in the liver cells (hepatocytes). In NASH, the fat accumulation is associated with varying degrees of inflammation (hepatitis) and scarring (fibrosis) of the liver.

The term nonalcoholic is used because NAFLD and NASH occur in individuals who do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol. Yet, in many respects, the histological picture of NAFLD (when we look at a biopsy piece of liver under the microscope) is similar to what can be seen in liver disease that is due to excessive intake of alcohol. As we shall see, however, the clinical circumstances in NAFLD and NASH are very different from those in alcoholic liver disease (ALD).

Wow thanks for the info. I just have a fatty liver so I guess mine was caught at stage 1. Anyway, it's not so fatty now! :thumbup:

Nice to be getting healthier already, isn't it?

I am on day 6 of the Atkins Induction diet. It is mostly lean meat, fish, eggs ( all you want) and cheese plus some veggies and No fruit or carbs. So far so good I have to do this for 2 more weeks then I am on shakes for 2 weeks ( oh joy!).

Right now I am doing a shake for Breakfast, and then lean meat for lunch and a small salad and lean meat for dinner.< /p>

Does anyone have any good shakes they can recommend. I have tried Slim Fast Creamy vanilla and I don't care for them!

Thanks and Good luck to everyone!!

Wow! It looks like there are a few different "liver shrinking" diets. I opted to do this pre-op diet to shrink my liver and make the actual surgery easier for my doctor. I started today. However the diet suggested by the doctor was a low-fat diet. It is lean meats & veggies, low fat and low carb. We gotta do it folks! we must ensure that we are in good health and the surgery goes smooth.

Hi Becky. I'm Becky too. I just completed day 13 of my 23 day pre-op diet. I am drinking a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and then 6 to 8 oz. of Protein (chicken, fish), unlimited green vegetables, and 1 cup of fruit for dinner.... doctor's orders. I drink Atkins Advantage shakes. I think they are good. I like the chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. I tried the chocolate mocha and it was OK, but I like the chocolate better. I ordered chocolate caramel mocha but they haven't come yet. They are not quite as easy to find as Slim Fast and they don't seem to go on sale as often, if ever.... but I've been drinking them for almost 2 weeks now and still like them. You might not, but you could try them. Good luck to you!!!!!