Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I started out at 270 (april last year), and the morning of my surgery I was at 242, and am currently bouncing between 225-227.

Wtg you guys.

I had my first bout of stuck. I had swallowed a piece of lunch meat, quick trying to answer the phone. I should have just spit it out. Hind sight ya know. Well it stuck so bad, I heaved, and pb'ed for like half an hour. It all came back up, more than that last bite. I've been on liquids/ mushies since. I'm not enjoying it, but it just feels like I'm swollen.

Teri

So sorry it's been forever since writing. Been reading everyone's updates and am constantly amazed at this process! WTG everyone :)!!

I was banded 9/6/08 and just hit the 50 lb mark - started at 240 and now 190. Aiming for 130, give or take.

My apnea and snoring are gone, tho I'm dealing with a real jerk of a cardiologist who thinks if people applied their passion for the band to traditional dieting then they wouldn't need surgery. To say I was furious would be an understatement. Does he seriously think there is anything I haven't tried??! Ugh - the closed minds!!

Ah well - onward and downward :)!

WTG!

teri

I was banded 9/6/08 and just hit the 50 lb mark - started at 240 and now 190. Aiming for 130, give or take.

How awesome! WTG!:rolleyes:

So sorry it's been forever since writing. Been reading everyone's updates and am constantly amazed at this process! WTG everyone :)!!

My apnea and snoring are gone, tho I'm dealing with a real jerk of a cardiologist who thinks if people applied their passion for the band to traditional dieting then they wouldn't need surgery. To say I was furious would be an understatement. Does he seriously think there is anything I haven't tried??! Ugh - the closed minds!!

Ah well - onward and downward :)!

The cardiologist - HE IS A JERK. :thumbup:

My Mom told her Cardiologist, who knows our family and our family history, about my Lap Band. He was very pleased for me. In fact he told my Mom that he is starting to refer his patients for the Lap Band.

You need to know that there are Drs who understand. Also, my personal Dr is now a believer and a band supporter. It makes me feel good to know that the next person who talks to him will get a favorable reception and the support they need.

You know, if we could do this by ourselves, we would have years ago! No one chooses this!

Anyway, Congradulations on doing so fantastic! You are doing great! :thumbup: Debbie

Thanks all :-)

Yeah I wrote him a letter and cc'd the doc who suggested him so he would know why I'm taking my business elsewhere. Thankfully my main GP is awesome - so supportive and lovely and encouraging!

This guy - why should he give a crap how I do it as long as I do it!? What an asshat!

Meanwhile - I have about an extra 5 hours in my day now that I no longer think about food, plan my day around secret binges, and eat three small meals a day. So hubby bought me a bike for the holidays! I love it - been doing about 5 miles a day. And in April I'm going to start training for the Avon breast cancer marathon. It will be my second time doing it (2007 was the first but didn't in 2008 due to surgery). Can't wait to see what it's like with about 50 fewer lbs on my body :-)!

That will be so awesome.

I have also found more money in my budget. Which is nice, since I'm spending more money on clothes now :(

I'm gonna post a new topic, because I need some advice. So if you see this in an email update, please if you have 5 minutes, pop in and help me. I'd really appreciate some advice.

teri

I'm a little frustrated. I don't know if that is the word to use or not. I have not lost weight in a month. I know that this was due to the holidays and I quickly found out that sweets went down very easy. So I'm trying to get back on track. I'm confused about the "sweet spot" though. I really thought I was "there" but I don't know here lately. I have trouble eating a lot things like bread, rice, Pasta, potatoes, etc. even chicken is hard. So you would think I'm too tight but I don't think so. I can drink with no problems at all, as long as it's not right after I eat. I'm definitely tighter in the morning. Eating things like hamburger or sausage is much easier than any other Protein. So what is my problem??? Here in the last week I feel hungry a lot. I still have the same problems eating, often PB because I went too fast or something but still feel hungry. I know I'm probably doing something wrong. I go to the doc in a week and I'm afraid to ask for another fill. Any suggestions????

Niecey

If you are feeling true hunger, then you may just need a very small fill. As long as you are able to get some solid Protein down, I think you are ok. My doctor's office actually said that chicken (breast meat) would be harder to get down. All of the other foods that you mentioned are on my doctor's possible difficulty list. I basically don't have much restriction at all and can't really eat a lot of rice or Pasta. I have found that I can eat the whole grain pasta better than plain pasta. I hope that either way, you are able to find an answer.

Here in the last week I feel hungry a lot. I still have the same problems eating, often PB because I went too fast or something but still feel hungry. I know I'm probably doing something wrong. I go to the doc in a week and I'm afraid to ask for another fill. Any suggestions????

Niecey

Nicey, PBing isn't good. My Dr and Nutritionist have always allowed Snacks. They say they would rather you have a snack than overeat at your next meal. I am allowed several small snacks a day, in case I need them. I still drink my protien drink in the mornings, but in the afternoons, an ounce of low fat cheese or some sugar free Dark chocolate :thumbup: pudding does the trick for me.

They feel that if you are TOO hungry, you know, the I AM STARVING feeling, you will eat too fast or too much.

But more important, talk to your Dr. He is there for you. This is a work in process and he is there for you!

Good Luck.. Debbie

Well things have gotten a little better. I think I just have not slowed down enough. Maybe because I wasn't taking the time to eat so very slowly. I think if I really work on it and if the eating doesn't work, walk about for a little while and come back to it in 10-15 minutes. I think the reason I'm hungry is because I really didn't eat anything. Which is probably why I resorted to sweet things because it's easier and then I feel like I've ate something. I didn't realized chicken was a difficult thing. It makes sense though. What does anyone else eat for Protein? Hamburger, sausage and filet mignon work well. Filet mignon...so much for saving money LOL.

Niecey

I am glad that you are doing better. I have heard many people say that they have to have some type of sauce on chicken and take extremely small bites to get it down. I ate a chicken breast tenderloin last night. I had a little BBQ Sauce on the side and I REALLY took my time (something that I hadn't been doing). I have been eating a LOT of baked fish. I am going to start growing gills pretty soon. lol I haven't had filet mignon in a while. That might have to be my DH's birthday dinner this week. Thanks for the idea!

Hi, all Septembers. I have been struggling also. I have only lost 1.75 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I have had trouble with sweets and crispy things, they go down so easily. I am not sure if I need a fill or just try not to get so hungry. I love sweet things.

Banded 9-29-2008

Lost 49 lbs, 90 to go!

Well I seem to be on the move again. Had a little trouble after my second fill, gained - ran into some SF Popsicles, will need to rethink them next time.

Anyway, lost all I gained plus three more. I am almost under 200, ALMOST. I think my body knows how badly I want to get under this mark.

But, I was able to begin my final phase - the after 5 month diet. I can again eat lettuce. I love lettuce, even just nibbling on it is wonderful. Looking forward to salads. Had corn the other night and all was fine also. I have found that this normal food stays with me a lot longer than what I was eating before. I still stick with tuna and chicken, but I have trouble with "dry". The other day they had a pot luck at work. I figured I would be okay with El Pollo Chicken Breast. It was so dry I almost died - yuck. I had to put some Beans on it to get it down. I will stick with my emergency food, thank you very much.

Anyway, 2 more pounds to go. Wish me luck. Might take me another month, but I will get there!!!!! Debbie

Hi, all Septembers. I have been struggling also. I have only lost 1.75 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I have had trouble with sweets and crispy things, they go down so easily. I am not sure if I need a fill or just try not to get so hungry. I love sweet things.

Banded 9-29-2008

Lost 49 lbs, 90 to go!

You are doing so well. 49 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. I know it is disappointing to only lose 1.75 pounds, but just think how much you would have gained without the band. I think the sweet things are the devil.:thumbup: I love them. I have been trying not to have them in the house. Instead, I have been hurting myself with cheddar jalepeno cheetos.:w00t: In truth, I am not sure a fill will help with those things since they are so easy to get down. I know that we are all going to have times when the weight loss slows or stops. We have to learn patience (I know, easier said than done). We are in this for the long haul.