Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I had that happen with my csection in 2002. I freaked. LOL When the incision opened on my hysterectomy in 2007, I called like hey... got a little problem. :girl_hug: Anyway, i'm glad you're ok.

Teri

Yikes, teri, did your incision actually open? That would have freaked too!!!

My incisions were glued on the surface, and this was an internal self-dissolving stitch that popped through. So, it wasn't all that traumatic, just a irritating, and I wasn't sure if I could clip it, or if I needed to go in. I was very happy I could just cut it at home.

I had a tubal ligation years ago, and they went through my naval for the surgery. About a year later, I started feeling something poking in the center of my belly button. I pulled on it, and to my surprise, I pulled out a small stitch with a knot on the end. I have no idea why it didn't dissolve or why it waited a year to pop.

Oh yes it did. I had to pack it for about 6 weeks before it healed from the inside out. Turned out I had a staph infection. So of course when my incisions got red yesterday my mind went there.

Mine were also glued on the exterior. But stitches under neath. Often times there is something with the actual thread that makes them not disolve. But nothing wrong with that. I've had it happen with my first csection, my laps (had 2 ex laps), and my shoulder surgery. I counted them up, and I've had like 10 surgeries.

Teri

I have glue also. I have six incisions, my port incision is very large. My port is below my left breast above my waist. Not good for me because my favorite position is to sleep on my left side. I tried last night - YIKES!!!!! I actually had to get up and sleep sitting up. Felt much better.

I actually called the Dr today. I was worried because of what I thought was unusual puffyness and swelling near my port. I was told it was normal and to just watch for all the bad stuff, you know fever, drainage and such. I was also worried about the amount I am not able to get down. I can only do 1/2 a popsicle at a time and only a few sips of liquid. He told me as long as I can get a shot glass, 30cc, down an hour that is fine. I feel so much better. I also took 4 walks, not counting pacing in my house, each progresively longer. That is when I feel the best.

So I made it, might be a little sore, and for the record, YOU ARE ALL RIGHT, THE PORT IS THE BIGGEST "PAIN". Huggs to all. Thanks Debbie

I am glad that you are doing ok. I know that the pain won't last forever. Just keep your eyes on the prize (skinny jeans)!

Teri, that must have been awful, especially with a new baby to care for. I'm very thankful that all my incisions seem to be healing nicely. You certainly have me beat for surgeries, and I hope not to catch up. haha

Debbie, it sounds like our ports are about in the same location. Before I go to sleep, I like to make the rounds: back, stomach, left and right side. Hopefully, you'll be able to sleep on your left side soon. I can still feel the port sometimes, but within a week, it was barely noticeable. It sounds like you're doing great with your walking. I remember the 2nd or 3rd day, I decided to have a SF Jello. I had the pre-made containers, and I couldn't believe I could get about a third of it down. I really hadn't had any trouble with liquids, so it really took me by surprise. At least you know from your doctor that you're getting enough Water even though it's not a lot.

Surgery date: Sept 10, 2008

Where: Brugge, Belgium

Who: Dr. Dillemans

From this site, looks like Belgium is doing a cracking business on foreign lapband patients. I am a Texan living in Holland and had my surgery in Brugge.

I lost 8 pounds before surgery. Now, 8 pounds directly after, but have bottomed out this week.

Comforted to read posts that say "this is a time for healing, not a time for losing," but I still want to be ON MY WAY DOWN. Will drink more Water and get on the exercise bike which has been sitting in the living room for 5 years.

It's hard not to compare yourself to the rest of the September Samurais. It's good to see all the varying paces of the weight loss. Something for everyone.

.png

get on the exercise bike which has been sitting in the living room for 5 years.

:confused: That is so me! My elliptical machine has become a part of the living room furniture. I figure it has been a coat rack for long enough!

Teri, that must have been awful, especially with a new baby to care for. I'm very thankful that all my incisions seem to be healing nicely. You certainly have me beat for surgeries, and I hope not to catch up. haha

Debbie, it sounds like our ports are about in the same location. Before I go to sleep, I like to make the rounds: back, stomach, left and right side. Hopefully, you'll be able to sleep on your left side soon. I can still feel the port sometimes, but within a week, it was barely noticeable. It sounds like you're doing great with your walking. I remember the 2nd or 3rd day, I decided to have a SF Jello. I had the pre-made containers, and I couldn't believe I could get about a third of it down. I really hadn't had any trouble with liquids, so it really took me by surprise. At least you know from your doctor that you're getting enough Water even though it's not a lot.

Funny you mentioned the pre-made (is there any other kind) SF Jello. One container lasted me all day. I just finished it and my 5th walk. And the weird thing, cold is not good for me. I am doing better on room temp water and jello, yes warm jello MMMmm slides right down. It looses a lot of its bounce.

Thanks for telling me about your port. I keep looking at my tummy and thinking Good Grief is that hump always going to be there. Feeling a lot better, a whole lot better and I cannot wait until my port doesn't hurt. I miss sleeping on my side.

And I am glad I took the rest of the week off. I was STUPID to think I would just bounce back and be ready to go to work. EGADS I think we need to give ourselves a little time to heal.

Thanks so much Debbie

Wow stiches and glue, I didn't have either, just sterile strips sticking me together. All healed fine too.

Good luck to all the banders coming up for your ops late in the month. Hope your recovery is fan-tab-ulous!

Deb

You probably (not a surgeon, and definitely not your surgeon) have stitches under your skin. I'm not a good candidate for the steri strips. I actually get skin ulcers from them.

My port is just below my ribcage by about 3 fingers width. Looked like I had a third boob :D Thank God that's nearly gone. I'm wearing a size 16 w jeans today. Not much longer, as they are a little binding, but my bf wanted to see me in them. :crying: I've been in a 22W for so long, they feel good :D

teri

You probably (not a surgeon, and definitely not your surgeon) have stitches under your skin. I'm not a good candidate for the steri strips. I actually get skin ulcers from them.

My port is just below my ribcage by about 3 fingers width. Looked like I had a third boob :D Thank God that's nearly gone. I'm wearing a size 16 w jeans today. Not much longer, as they are a little binding, but my bf wanted to see me in them. :sad: I've been in a 22W for so long, they feel good :D

teri

Teri, first of all - LAUGHING HURTS! Thank you for describing your port. I FEEL NORMAL! Yesterday I got up and saw this swollen blob, my boob hang so if I had perky young ones I might have thought of that.

Congrat on the JEANS - Wow, that is an accomplishment. FANTASTIC :smile2:. I was happy when I got under 250. Something about the old fashion scales and those 50# marks.

So are you bruised too? I have ink marking on my tummy, he drew a line down the middle and I look like someone beat me up. I know, it was the Heprin, but still, good grief.

And what, the couldn't make the incissions into little heart shapes or something??? :bored: He was nice, he used an old scar for one of mine. And, I have 6, oh well............... Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. Debbie

I am home, and officially part of bandland!:bored: I want to thank every person that prayed for those of us having surgery today. I got to the hospital at 9:45a.m. They took me back to the pre-op area within 5 minutes. I got undressed (they wouldn't allow me to keep on my panties:frown:). They started my IV fluids, antibiotics, anti-nause medicine, and happy juice :smile2:. They told me that I could expect to stay back there for a while since I was my surgeon's third patient of the day. I was back there for almost 3 hours before they took me to the O R. I SORT of remember getting on the table, but that is all. The next REAL memory was in stage 1 recovery. I asked the nurse if I had a band, and if they did any type of hernia repair. I didn't have a hernia (or if I did, he didn't repair it). I didn't have any pain. I dozed in and out for a little while there. I was then taken to stage 2 recovery. That is where they brought my DH back. I was required to drink 2 cups of Water and 1 cup of apple juice before I could leave. I asked to get up to start my walking. I was able to get up without any help. I made 4 trips around the room. They called my surgeon to ask if I could have some Benedryl because the pain medicine was making me itch. He told her I could have it and go home at 5pm. All of the nurses talked about how well I was doing. I got dressed on my own. I am so shocked at how good I feel. I figure it must be some darn good drugs. I still have the motion sickness patch behind my ear. I figure I will leave it there since I am on Clear Liquids until next Thursday. I came home and changed into a night gown. I was happy to find out that my short term disablity benefits were approved through October 23! That works out for me because my son has a break from school coming up. That will keep me from having to pay for a babysitter.

I am so proud to be a Samurai!

Glad you are feeling good Slim. I am getting excited and your post helped calm my nerves.

Glad you are feeling good Slim. I am getting excited and your post helped calm my nerves.

I was really scared too. I figure as long as I stay on top of my medicine, I should be ok. I am so surprised at how well I feel. I normally wake up in tears from the pain. This time I could even tell if I had been cut.