Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking for one??

Hi all, Banded 6 months ago and was doing well but have become lazy recently.

I work until about 6pm and people in work don't know about the band so I usually just eat something small and wait to get home for dinner.< /p>

I was doing really well but then my partner and I broke up(he left me for a younger woman - I'm 25:eek:) and I moved out.

Even so I was still good and cooked dinner in the evenings. I have a daughter but she eats dinner in creche so in the evenings it's just myself I have to feed and I have fallen out of the habot of cooking. It just seems like such an effort for just me.

I have been craving salty things (which is a change for me as I was always a sweet tooth) and find I usually just eat rubbish now in the evenings.

Any ideas for some quick, healthy recipies bearing in mind that I am now broke (paying rent, creche etc alone now) so no expensive options please :thumbdown:.

I also know I need a good kick up the backside as I have fallen back into the "comfort eating" trap even though I am still losing weight it has slowed down and I feel tired and sluggish.

Help!!!

One of my standbys is canned fish; tuna/herring/sardines and a bag of frozen veg.

It takes seconds to microwave some veg, and open a can.

Another quick thing, is to hardboil some eggs at the start of the week, then leave them in the fridge. I can just grab a handful of salad mix and put a sliced egg on top.

Another thing that I do is have a cooking day once every few weeks, I roast some chicken pieces, cook a roast, make some rice and veg. then I make little portions and used freezer bags. That way I can take a bag from the freezer in the morning, and by the time I get home from work, it goes on the plate and and in the microwave for 2 minutes. Bonus, there is only one plate and one fork to be washed.

I was going to suggest some of the same things as Michee.

I'd also like to add things such as casseroles, stews, roasting a mix of root veggies, etc. All of those can be done ahead of time and portioned, then frozen for individual meals. Another thing you could do would be to make a pot of spaghetti sauce, again freezing in portions, then you cook up a bit of noodles, add a salad and you've got a nice little meal. Of course I'm not sure what you can and can't tolerate so you need to take that into consideration.

You'd also be able to save a little money by buying a bigger portion (family size) of something and making it into a dish for smaller meals later. Instead of buying just a small portion (single size) of something to eat once.

I'd definitely advise a cooking day on one of your days off. It would be so much easier for you.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes!

You can buy a stack of those aluminum T.V. dinner trays. Cook as usual and then make up trays of pre-measured food. cover it and freeze it. Then you have ready meals. You can just heat them in the oven, or pop the food out and heat in the microwave.

If you don't have time to cook, make Beans or lentils in the crock pot while you are at work. Stews and thick Soups are good too. I love lamb and lentil stew! Then you can eat right when you get home and avoid snacking.

I have bought turkey and roast beef at the deli, and just have a couple slices of that with a vegetable at night when my hubby is away on business. No cooking necessary, and it's easy to eat.

I am also lazy after a 13 hour work day and my new favorite is refried Beans, some 2% lowfat cheese and a bit of taco sauce, enchalada sauce or salsa to give it a little zest. If you are feeling very lazy, order Pinto Beans from taco bell. I think the whole thing has about 6 grams of fat. What ever kind of red sause they put on the beans there is to die for. I usually ask for 2 or 3 sides of the red sauce which I take home and add to my little dish of beans for the next two days. MMmmmmmm. I have purchaced just about every taco sauce on store shelves trying to find a duplicate, but to no avail, so I usually get the pintos once a week and use sauce for two more dinners :mellow:

Also, Bell and Evans makes frozen fully cooked chicken breasts. They are so juicy, taste fresh and take only 2-3 min in the microwave. I am a very picky meat eater and have never been a fan of frozen reheated meats. They are sort of pricy, $6.99 per package and only three per package, but really what is $7/3...pretty cheap dinner if you ask me. They are a little hard to find, but so worth it. :thumbup:

Edited by ktb224

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have pointed out I'm in Ireland so no Taco Bell here :thumbup:

I went to the supermarket yesterday and stocked up. I went home and baked some potatoes (always handy), made a beef stew which is in portions in the freezer and some pork curry.

Also got loads of fruit and veg and prepared it to have for snack attacks and got a few ready meals too (just in case I'm having a lazy day!)

Thanks again. I hope to see all this cooking pay off on the scales!

I noticed that you were in Ireland! Oh! You could bake up or roast some chickens and then separate them up into portions, again to freeze for later. Sounds like you've got a good start to the new week! I think once you get going you'll start thinking of different things you like or want to try.

I think it will translate to the scales. I notice a big difference in the scale when I'm eating well. Even if the calorie load is the same. If it's good foods, lean meats, veggies and fruit vs. the high carb, high calorie, lack of veggies and fruit, then I definitely see a difference in how hungry I am and how the scale moves. I just got banded so this is of course before banding. I'm still on liquids and can't wait to get back to the fresh veggies and fruit we get from the farm!

Someday I'm going to get over there! I want to visit so bad!!! Someday....