Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much post op???!

Hi all! I'm ashley and i am new to this! I was banded on august 20, 2008 so I am only about 10 days post op. My doc said liqiuds for two weeks like pudding Jello etc, but today i actually started eating some real food. I also am able to eat more than I thought I would. I was just wondering is there a danger to eating real food too soon? Thanks for you help!!

Guest BikiniBeachy

You definitely have to follow whatever post op plan you've been put on, even if you personally feel there is no danger. Remember, since your band is so new, you probably weren't installed with it full at all, it's not supposed to stop you from eating too much until you are at the right fill adjustment. A lot from what I've learned on this site, from those who are succesful, is that they follow a diet that is (strict) especially post-op. Your body is still adjusting, so I wouldn't worry about how you don't feel full. Don't make eating a test to see how full you are feeling. Eventually, you will get to your *sweet spot* so good LUCK, congrats and stay on liquids for those four more days just like the surgeon suggested.

There is a reason why doctors tell you to give it two weeks. Your stomach is healing, you aren't 'familiar' yet with your band which may lead to PBing, and there might be a slip.

That said, as far as eating too much goes- after my surgery, I gained approximately 10 lbs before my first fill. I've lost 50 lbs since my first fill so don't stress it right now, just try to get used to new eating habbits - get enough Protein, eat protein, veggies, and starches in that order, take small bites, chew thoroughly, and eat slowly. Also- since this one is a hard change to make, you definitely want to stop drinking liquids while you eat immediately - even if you don't feel the need to - because this is one of the hardest adjustments to make so you might as well make it as soon as possible

Good luck with your lapband!!

Thank you for the advice. I will eat what I'm supposed to! I have also being nervous and wondering about the band slipping. Is there anyway you can tell if is does? And is that likely to happen? I'm not doomed because I ate too much today right?? I can just do better for the rest of the week?

You certainly aren't doomed :rolleyes: I think if the band slipped, you would know - in theory you wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything at all without getting very sick. Just try your hardest follow doctors orders and you should be fine! :)

Hey Ashley-you could not have asked a better question as I am in the same boat as you and am having the same concerns. I was banded on Aug 21-and was fine on the pre-op diet as I had a list of what I could eat/could not eat-then when I went to my post-op visit on Fri and he cleared me for mushies and then next week regular food-I am feeling really lost-like what does that mean? So far everything I have tried has went down fine and now I feel like I have nothing stopping me from eating whatever I want-which I thought being banded was going to do for me. I know that it will require some patience-not my strong suit-but am wondering if I need to be on a self imposed diet of some sort until I am filled? Just wish I had been better prepared for this phase-I am also bummed from gaining a few pounds in the week after surgery when I was still on all liquids-how can that even be possible? Anyway....I am right there with you so don't feel like you are in this alone.

:)

I was also banded on August 21st, I have been on the full liquids since post op. No problems so far. I have had small bites of like mac and cheese and hamburger chewed up very well without any problems. I am hungry at night time in the morning I feel like the band it tighter if that makes sense. I will stick to the full liquids for the rest of the week till I see the MD. Then on to mushies. I have had no pucking episodes so far so don't even know how this feels. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your bands

Veronica

Edited by vsnowrn

What does it mean to have a fill? What causes the weight gain initially?

Cherylseekinghope

When you get a fill, they pump liquid into your lap band to make it tighter around your stomach. They do this in increments because as you lose weight, the fat around your stomach decreases and a tightened band can become loose again.

I gained weight after my surgery because my lap band was loose at the beginning. This meant that I could pretty much eat anything I wanted. On top of that, I didn’t follow my pre-op and post-op diets properly (I didn’t drink protein) and this caused my metabolism to shut down which meant everything I ate for several weeks turned right into fat.

But once I started following the doctor’s orders, I started losing and losing quickly. Right now I’m losing approximately 5 lbs a week – I know this is more than we’re supposed to lose, but I’m in exercise hyper-drive. I never realized how insanely hyper I’d be once I started losing weight – everyone has commented on how much excess energy I have now! It’s such an awesome feeling!!

Cheryl... are you banded? If you are, you should know what a fill is... but if you are not... a fill is when they inject saline through a port that "fills" up the ring inside your band to restrict the opening into the larger part of your stomach... you want restriction as then your new pouch will get full and you will feel full more quickly and off of less food, which will therefore cause you to eat less and lose weight. However, as I have learned over the course of the past few months after being banded and successfully losing over 40 pounds so far, even at a perfect fill "sweet spot" level, it still takes an incredible amount of will power and smart choices when it comes to eating... you can till stuff yourself, eat way too much and cause issues around the band.... or eat the wrong types of foods that give you calories, but not a lot of nutrition.... it's a learning process for everyone and everyone responds differently to the band and needs to learn how it works best for them.... for anyone who thought that just getting a band would solve the weight issue miraculously (and believe me I have met those that do believe that), are far from correct and will most likely suffer emotional issues along the way and may not be successful with the band.... the most important thing about any weight loss surgery or eating plan is to educate yourself about nutrition, needed daily nutrients, proper ways to eat, and deal with the emotional issues behind your past lifelong habits of eating that led to obesity. Good luck to all of you... the band is a wonderful tool... take care of it and yourself!

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/27/08

335+/292/175

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico - self-pay

I had my surgery on July 24. My doctor told me for the first 6 weeks after my surgery, weight loss is not what your aiming for. This is your time to let your stomach heal. It takes 6 weeks on average for your scar to heal around your stomach. He also said that after I'm able to start to eat real food again, to eat until I'm full. Sometimes it seems like quite alot of food. I do keep a journal about what I'm eating. This helps me keep track. Sometimes just writing it down, makes you realize more what exactly you've put in your mouth. Then other times I eat and it just gets to where it doesn't intrest me anymore. Like the food is blahh.:thumbdown: So I stop. I am very happy with my continued or stable weight loss. I lost 13 pounds on my all liquid diet, 2 weeks prior to surgery. And another 9 pounds the week after. About 10 days after my surgery I lost my restriction feeling.:wink2: But I've managed to hold on only fluctuating up and down by 1/2--2 pounds. They also said that if you gain some weight back that's normal, because your healing. But I'm really glad that I havn't. It is devasting to see the scale move the other way.

kcmomx3--who was your doctor? I live just a few miles away, in Independence.

oh you guys are so lucky i have been dying to eat real food but I have to stay on liquids untill July 9th which is really starting to get on my nerves I got banded Aug 21st and I want food I have not broken from my diet much(alchohol) but I have turned alot of things they should not be a liquid into a liquid like Soups I just blend them up add Water and there goes my liquid I can drink alot though like 1 cup of Soup could everyone else also do this? Also after surgery I was loseing a lb a day now I have stayed at my current weight is this normal should i still be loesing any one know?

I had my surgery on July 24. My doctor told me for the first 6 weeks after my surgery, weight loss is not what your aiming for. This is your time to let your stomach heal. It takes 6 weeks on average for your scar to heal around your stomach. He also said that after I'm able to start to eat real food again, to eat until I'm full. Sometimes it seems like quite alot of food. I do keep a journal about what I'm eating. This helps me keep track. Sometimes just writing it down, makes you realize more what exactly you've put in your mouth. Then other times I eat and it just gets to where it doesn't intrest me anymore. Like the food is blahh.:thumbdown: So I stop. I am very happy with my continued or stable weight loss. I lost 13 pounds on my all liquid diet, 2 weeks prior to surgery. And another 9 pounds the week after. About 10 days after my surgery I lost my restriction feeling.:biggrin: But I've managed to hold on only fluctuating up and down by 1/2--2 pounds. They also said that if you gain some weight back that's normal, because your healing. But I'm really glad that I havn't. It is devasting to see the scale move the other way.

kcmomx3--who was your doctor? I live just a few miles away, in Independence.

Linksmom-thanks for the encouraging words-think i might just go crazy over-analyzing this post op period. My surgeon was Dr. Stephen Malley at Menorah Medical Center in Overland Park, KS-any chance he did yours also? Sounds like we have similar paths-mine was done on 8/21-I am 10 days out today-I lost 14 pre-op, then nothing that week after which really threw me into this funk as I was a rule follower. He has cleared me for softer foods and next week whatever I want-just can't wrap my mind around what that food should be. (still do Protein shakes or not? I just am so afraid to eat most anything as i KNOW it will cause me to gain which seems like a step backward. Ya know? I told you I was over-analyzing! Love to know what works for you-I would love that blah feeling about food-that is my whole goal in this process for food to be just a blah subject for me-so hoping I get there! Thanks again for the kind words.

Lori (kcmomx3):wink2: