Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you take pain meds?

I spent one night in the hospital and needed constant I.V. pain meds while there.

My Dr. gave me liquid vicodin to take home & I needed every single drop of it. I took it as often as it was directed on the bottle. My first week post-op was very painful!

If your Dr. gave it to you, take it as long as you need to!!!

Take the meds! It is Waaaaaayyyyyyyy easier to keep the pain eased up by taking the meds regularly than it is to try to get rid of it again once you slack up. I learned this from injuries in the past and let me tell you...take the meds.

I had my surgery Aug 26 and took the liquid Vicodin regularly up until today- I took my 3 tsp at 6 am and then again at 2 pm before going to the grocery store (don't worry I didn't drive, my parents took me). I am going to take it before bed as I have been having a hard time sleeping. If the pain is bad, take the pain meds. If they didn't expect me to maybe need it, they wouldn't have given me such a big bottle. My Vicodin says 3 tsp every 2 hours.

I had surgery on May 27th.... after the IV came out the day after surgery, I didn't take any pain meds... wasn't hardly sore at all... I hate meds anyway, but my husband, mom and dad and I were all banded at the same time and none of us needed to take any pain meds.... everyone is different.... I only took pain meds or 3 days after my c-section 6 years ago too....

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/27/08

335+/292/175

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico self-pay

My MD prescribed liquid Oxycodone, yes the good stuff. I took the whole bottle and then got a refill cause I was still sore and having pain. Don't be concerned with getting addicted, I think I took the med for a total of 6 days on and off. It was easier for me to move around after taking the meds. I would advise you that if you arehaving pain take the meds. I was banded on August 21st.

Veronica

Hi Maribelle,

Sorry to hear that you are having pain problems. I took the liquid Loratab that Dr. Curry gave me every 4 hours beginning just after surgery on Tues. until I slowly got better with my pain and everntually ran out of it. I also started taking Aleve as soon as I got home from the surgery and am continuing to take it every 12 hours. My pain has been tolerable so I am not limited in my activity except not lifting over 20 lbs. as our pre-op instructions. I do experience some sharp pains at times, when I move certain ways... like bending over or twisting. These pains occur occasionally where my left side puncture site is but mainly where my biggest puncture site is, in the middle upper abdomen.

I remember asking Dr. Curry how people did with pain post-op and he said everyone is different... some people don't use their prescription meds at all and some people need 2 refills. I suggest if you are continuing to feel pain that keeps you from normal activity I would take my meds scheduled every 4 hours and Aleve every 12 hours and then gradually stop the 4 hour med as you can tolerate... that is what worked for me and is what Jeff (the nurse anesthesist) recommended to me.

I wish you the best and hope that this difficult time passes quickly for you.

I must be weird...I didn't really need the pain meds much! I was given a sip in the hospital the first night, then took 1/2 dose of the pain med I was given the 2nd night and that was it. I never touched them again, didn't even need tylenol.

I haven't been in much pain since I first woke up in the recovery room. I was lucky not to get gas pains or nausea either. I just have a dull ache once in awhile from the port incision. Not a hurt, more like I did too many sit ups...just a tinge to remind me it's there.

Good luck to you all who need meds, there's no shame in taking them. That's why they gave them to you. If you need them, by all means take them! :)

They gave me pain meds every 4 hours in the hospital. I had a script for a liquid pain medication when I got home. I took it religiously every 6 hours the first 3 days after I got home. Then I took it just in the morning and at night. Ending with just at the night the last day or two to help me sleep in case I turned funny in my sleep. By the time the full week was up I wasn't on them anymore. I'm not a big medicine taker. It's a big deal for me to take an aspirin. :thumbdown:

Thanks for all of the replies! They made me feel better about doing what I needed to do to stay relaxed and comfortable. I ended up feeling a lot better on my fourth day post op and have only used a few Aleve since then. I was actually not worried about addiction but more about Constipation as pain meds are known for causing that. Like I said, I usually have a high pain tolerance, but when I pulled this muscle, my doctor said a stitch was pulling on a muscle and OUCH! not fun. But it did get better quicker than I expected. Yay! Thank you all for reminding me to do what I had to do.