Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pain in shoulders and chest

I was banded Friday. I feel like I need to hiccup or burp and then a horrible pain or spasm hits through my chest. I am drinking slow and small amounts at a time. It will do this even when I don't eat or drink. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to help this.

Walk!!! You are experiencing the effects of the gas the surgeon put in your body to do the surgery...my shoulder was in pain for several weeks...it does go away as your body releases the gas...walking helps get the gasses moving and releasing from your body.

I too had pain in my chest and left shoulder when I woke up from surgery. The first thing I remember is complaining that it felt like a brick was on my chest and I couldn't breath. The nurses got me up and walking right away. It took until the next day for my chest to feel completely normal and a couple more for the shoulder pain to be gone.

Try the gas-x melt in your mouth strips. I took the maximum dose each day for the first few days after surgery and yes walking really helps. Heating pads too. It will pass.

I was banded on tuesday last week, and i found that moving around, and not sitting down for too long helped, if you feel you need to burp, get up and move around, i found that helped me actually burp, as far as gas pain in the shoulders, again move, and take tylenol

Thanks I was worried I was doing something wrong. I thought gas pain should be in your stomach or lower stomach

Thanks I was worried I was doing something wrong. I thought gas pain should be in your stomach or lower stomach

If you feel pain in your shoulder or chest that's not actually where the pain itself is coming from. When they blow you up for surgery the leftover gas presses on your diaphragm. The vagus nerve behind there gets pressure on it and that radiates up to your shoulder.