Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crushable medications

Hello, I am scheduled for surgery 10/3 and have 2 medication questions. I currently take pristiq for depression and excedrine Migraine and I know that I'll need to find others. Any suggestions? I know for sure Pristiq isn't ok because it's extended release and not available in any other form. As far as migraine meds, I can't take imitrex so I depend on excedrine but since that'll be a no-no, I'm at a loss. I can't do nasal sprays. Thanks in advance!:rolleyes:

I take Wellburtin and I am able to crfush that up or cut it in fours. That is for depressiona and anxiety. I don't get migranes so I don't have any advice on that. But talk to you Dr. and they can help you. Good Luck

In a pre op meeting they went over my meds and then after the surgery the Dr. wrote new RX"S for either a liquid or a crushable form of the same med or a simular one. They told me to mix the med's in applesauce but I could not get it down. I mix mine in sugar free pudding . Make sure you ask you Dr.

Good Luck

Shaz:smile:

Edited by Shastalou

no where on my bottle of exc. does it say not to crush or chew did your doc, tell you not to take it

no where on my bottle of exc. does it say not to crush or chew did your doc, tell you not to take it

Aspirin and Ibuprofen products are not permitted once you have been banded. There is a danger of ulceration complications around your band.

Have you ever tried the shots of imitrex. They work good for me. You need ins for those they run about $100.00 abox for two shots.

For Migraines my doctor has given me Maxalt, it comes in a wafer form that melts under your tongue in seconds. And the Maxalt is really effective for me. If I feel a Migraine coming on, and take it, I can be rid of the migraine in an hour or so.

to everyone for your suggestions. I spoke to my PCP and he gave me prescriptions for the maxalt and wellbutrin. I thought about trying the imitrex injections but my past experiences with imitrex were pretty brutal so I'm leaving that as a last resort (plus I hate shots). All of my other meds are crushable so I'll just be eating my applesauce or sf pudding concoction daily. Lol. Thanks again!