Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all!

I was banded on Monday August 18th and had a few questions. I am supposed to be on Clear liquids for a week and have only had a couple popsicles and a couple servings of Jello since surgery on Monday. I have also had gatorade and watered down apple juice. I dont know if what I am feeling is severe hunger pains but it feels like a heavy rock in my stomach. When can you start adding Protein Shakes or milk? I really hate the broth so I have not had any of that yet. I have been getting so dizzy and I am sure it is because I am not eating much of anything at all.

Another question that may sound silly...How do you get that sticky stuff off of you that the bandages left behind? Not the steri strips but the big bandages they put on top of those? They REALLY irritated my skin and I have bad red itchy spots around all 5 insicions. I have tried alcohol, but that wont even get the sticky stuff off. Any suggestions?

I was banded the 18th too. As for the hunger, I don't think that is what I am feeling. I think I am actually getting full when I drink a little because the feeling gets worse. As for the dizziness, make sure you are getting some calories and, if you have a history of high blood pressure and take medicine, make sure your blood pressure is not low. I have not been able to take my blood pressure medicine since the surgery because I am eating so little and getting so little sodium.

My doc is a little different with diet, I am not on a "clear" liquid diet but a "full" liquid diet that includes Protein Drinks, skim milk, pudding, yogurt and even very runny oatmeal. I can only eat a couple ounces of any of these before I feel stuffed.

As for the adhesive, I know this is wrong but I actually sit and "scratch" it off. There is commercial adhesive remover for skin, it is kind of oily. If you have someone who can go to a pharmacy and ask for it, it might work.

I am much more sore than I would like to be but a lot of my pain is in the shoulder. I was told that I have gas trapped in my shoulder from the surgery and OMG it hurts. The stomach gets a LITTLE better every day. I am hoping to go to work for 4 hours tomorrow and full day on Monday.

Good luck to all!

Are you not allowed any Protein at all? When I was in the hospital they gave me pudding to eat. I came home and for 10 days post surgery I was allowed Protein Shakes, puddings, Jello, popsicles and crystal lite. Then after the 10 days and a trip to the dr.s for post op check I was on a mushy diet. Only allowed 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of mushy food at a meal, but it was awesome to chew again. I would call your dr. and tell him what you are feeling....see if you are allowed some Protein Drink to gain your strength back. As for the sticky stuff on the tummy, try some oil, that worked for me. I used olive oil....I smelled great! Good luck, and hope you feel better soon. :biggrin2:

I had my surgery the same day. I can have Protein shakes starting today. I am still really sore how about you? As for the bandages mine are all waterproof and will peel off in time.

Yes, I am still really sore. I was planning on going back to work today, but had to scratch that idea real quick!

I just drank half a Protein shake, we will see how it settles.

I had my surgery on the 18th too and the smell of food makes me ill. I haven't really eaten anything b/c I have no appetite. I have to force myself to drink Water or crystal light and even then, just a little makes me full. Since surgery, i've a a little Protein Shake, half of a yogurt, water, crystal light and that's it. What is weird though is that my stomach is steadily grumbling and I get hunger pains but I just don't want anything. I also had absolutely terrible gas. It felt like it was and still is a little bit, right under my ribcage and in my chest. If it weren't for the gas, I would have been completely fine....no other pains whatsoever.

Clear Liquids for a week??? I was only on clear liquids for 3 days, the full liquids were I could do Protein drinks, creamy Soups, pudding, etc. I don't know if I could of survive on clear liquids for a week. If you're feeling well I think you should talk to your doctor and ask if you can start on full liquids now. I felt dizzy when I was on clear liquids too. That's because you're not getting enough calories and protein in your body.

About the sticky stuff it should come off with just soap and Water.< /p>

Good luck to all, and I hope you feel better soon.

Each doc is different. Mine doesn't add Protein Shakes until week 2. Rather than listening to all this conflicting advice (it's interesting, just not professional LOL) call your doc and ask what to do.

Hello all!

I was banded on Monday August 18th and had a few questions. I am supposed to be on clear liquids for a week and have only had a couple popsicles and a couple servings of Jello since surgery on Monday. I have also had gatorade and watered down apple juice. I dont know if what I am feeling is severe hunger pains but it feels like a heavy rock in my stomach. When can you start adding Protein shakes or milk? I really hate the broth so I have not had any of that yet. I have been getting so dizzy and I am sure it is because I am not eating much of anything at all.

Another question that may sound silly...How do you get that sticky stuff off of you that the bandages left behind? Not the steri strips but the big bandages they put on top of those? They REALLY irritated my skin and I have bad red itchy spots around all 5 insicions. I have tried alcohol, but that wont even get the sticky stuff off. Any suggestions?

I was banded on the 18th also and was able to have Protein Shakes as soon as I got to my room. I wouldve drank them if the nurses had brought them to me but they never did. I dont have hunger pains like you are talking about, but boy is my stomach growling. I don't think I can remember my stomach growling as much as it does now.

I don't like the broth either but I have found something pretty darn good. I have drank down some vegetable beef broth and it was actually really good. Plus you get get like chicken Noodle Soup and drain the broth out of it and drink it. Give the Noodles to one of your kids or someone else. Give the Veggie broth and chicken Noodle Soup broth a try, I think you may like it.

As for the sticky stuff from the tape, I have no clue as to how to get it off. I have the same problem. It seems like the more I rub off, the more comes back.

Sticky stuff--try a little baby oil on a cotton swab and rub gently. Maybe that will help.

chicken broth -- add flavor by putting a sprig of Thyme in the hot broth and let it sit while it cools down a bit.

Whatever you add to your diet, do it slowly to see how your body reacts.

Good luck.

I had my surgery on the 18th too and the smell of food makes me ill. I haven't really eaten anything b/c I have no appetite. I have to force myself to drink Water or crystal light and even then, just a little makes me full. Since surgery, i've a a little Protein shake, half of a yogurt, Water, crystal light and that's it. What is weird though is that my stomach is steadily grumbling and I get hunger pains but I just don't want anything. I also had absolutely terrible gas. It felt like it was and still is a little bit, right under my ribcage and in my chest. If it weren't for the gas, I would have been completely fine....no other pains whatsoever.

i was banded on the 4th and i know what you mean about the gas. i was great except for that too. my tummy was a little sore but not bad at all. i did have a gas bubble in my upper stomach area where my band is that was very uncomfortable. it lasted a day or two. concerned me enough to call the dr because it was just very uncomfortable. i never experienced the shoulder pain like some people. i am two and a half weeks out and i had a stitch or two poke through and had to get them trimmed. one was irritating my port incision. no big deal though. i was on full liquids till my post op visit ten days after surgery. i was also on a clear liquid diet one week before surgery. i am now on mushies till one month out then if all is well i move on to solids. i get my first fill on the 10th. i wasn't really hungry in the beginning but am feeling hunger now. so i am eager to get my fill and hope it gives me at least a little restriction.i was told the lap band has some Fluid in it that is left in. i guess i'll find out how much then. well good luck to you all!!! it really does get better as time goes by.

I was allowed to have Protein Shakes from the get go, skim or 1% milk,broth, sf popscicles and any calorie free beverage. I was to only drink the shakes 2 oz at a time every 1-2 hours with the goal of getting 60 grams of Protein a day. Definately call you dr and ask. You need protein.