Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting a realize band in Oct- a couple of questions

I'm getting a Realize band in Oct. What do people mean by "lower profile"? Is the port placed lower on the body? I know the port is attached to muscle rather than being stitched in. How do you find the online support program? From what I could tell, it looks a lot like weight watchers online (what with the with an avatar.

I think that's it. If there's anything else I should know, feel free to throw it out there. :)

I believe you are referring to a lower profile port. Basically the port is thinner. It is about half to one third thinner then the regular port. The area on top of the port for receiving fills is the same size. When you see your doctor again ask if you can see the the lower profile port.

My wife and I are both being banded next week and we will be getting the lower profile port.

Its smaller but keep in mind it is much wider than the lap band low profile port and your scar where the port is will be about double the size.

You get to the website once you get the band and get a code.

What you should know most important is the average excess weight loss with the Realize band is about 30% in year 12 months, The new Lapbands are 62% in 12 months.

The average weight loss with the Realize band in 43% in 3 years, The older lapbands is 62% in 3 years.

The Realize Band is the Swedish Band designed in 1996 in a new box and renamed Realize Band.The LapBand AP is the Third Generation LapBand released in August of 2007.

The Realize Band MUST be implanted empty so there will be little to no restriction until 6-8 weeks later when you will have some very mild restriction after the first fill, the band is very soft and needs a lot of Fluid to restrict.

The LapBand AP is implanted with the first fill, you will have restriction immediately.

i have a realize band. and the restriction is not like that for everyone. i have some now with no fill. i get my first fill oct the 8th. and i have lost 25 pounds since being banded on the 26th of aug.

jason r

I have the Realize Band, and so far I couldn't be happier. I haven't been hungry since the surgery, and my doctor offers a fill in one month, not six to eight weeks. My recovery has been fantastic, and I have had very little pain.

I got to compare both bands (Lap Band and Realize Band) side by side, and there was no question in my mind that the Realize Band was the best choice for me. My doctor, whose office is qualified as a Bariatric Center of Excellence, gives the patient the choice of bands. My doctor is very pleased with the results he's had in his practice from both bands.

So far, I've lost almost 20% of my excess weight, with the majority of the loss in the last week since surgery. I haven't had a chance to spend a lot time on the Realize web site, but from what I've been able to do so far, it's been very helpful.

One of the major reasons I chose the Realize Band was the great anchoring method it uses for the port, and the size and shape of the port. I've had very little port pain, and from what I've read, that seems to be a major issue for people. Also, I loved the Realize Band's pillow system. It's much softer than Lap Band, and such I plan to keep my band for years, I felt it would be much safer to have against my stomach as a foreign object. Also, the band itself was wider, which I felt made it safer as far as potential slips. I'm certainly not trying to discout the Lap Band. I think each person needs to weigh what is important to them for the long haul, and those were a few of the reasons I felt the Realize Band was the better choice for me.

I just wanted to share some information I've found:

From the Lab Band web site (www.lapband.com): "When the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System is first placed, your surgeon usually leaves it empty or only partially inflated." (so, in other words, if your doctor places your Lap Band in empty, although rockbandster may disagree, the doctor is following the standards set by Lap Band).

From this web site, I couldn't find the weight loss information on the Lap Band web site, (Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band) : "average loss of weight first year with Lap Band is 40% to 50%."

The weight loss is given for Realize Band on this site as well, but its percentages loss is given three years out. So, not a true comparison.

From the Realize Band web site(Realize Adjustable Gastric Band Health Benefits - REALIZEBand.com), the average weight loss after one year is: "Patients in a 3-year clinical trial lost a mean of 40 percent of their excess weight at one year."

It's clear to me that weight loss with either band is similar, just as most of us have concluded. I think either go by your doctor's recommendation, if (s)he favors one over the other, and/or by your own research. I had a preference, but with all my research, I would be just as happy with either band as far as weight loss potential is measured.

Edited by kiz

Thank you for sharing that information. I am tired of feeling I have to defend myself for the choice I made of Realize vs Lapband. I guess my question is why are people who have the Lapband care and why do they continue to getting in these forms and debating the choice we made for ourselves. I am sorry but I keep seeing one person responding to the Realize band in negative tone and unless you have it how can you comment. I am VERY pleased with my Realize Band. Many are discouraged on the amount of weight they have lost but keep in mind with either band the weight loss will (or can) be slow but steady. I choose the band over RNY because I didn't want it to come off so quick that my skin would not have time to respond to what the heck was going on. As my Dr. said to me one day . . . "you banders want the band because if comes off slower but when you don't a 10 - 15lb loss a month you get upset and complain". He is correct we just have to hang in there for the long haul. Be postive and think of where you would be if you hadn't made the discussion to get band at all. This is a journey on a short road trip. Thank you for letting me vent!!!!

I'm going to be banded in 5 weeks and I will be getting a Realize band. When I met with my surgeon for the first 1on1 visit, he gave me a book by the Realize folks with his surgeon number for how to activate my account on the Realize site. I did that just tonight and DH took my measurements so I can start using the online tool to track my food intake, and stats. It was pretty cool. I don't really know much about the differences, but will take whatever my surgeon chooses to put in me. I figure he's the expert, not me.

I have the realize band. I have been banded for 2 1/2 months. I have lost 40 pounds. This is 40% of what I have to lose. Every one is different and the realize or lapband with be successful for anyone who is really ready.

As my doctor explained, the reason the realize has not gone through many changes is because it was basically "correct" in its pressure from the beginning. The lapband has gone through many changes and now has a pressure similar to the realize band. You do not fix something that isn't broke.

Regardless of what you read on here, your doctor is generally your best resource. If you follow his/her lead then you will be successful with either band. By the way, my doc recommends them equally and allowed me to choose.

Be cautious of anyone in this forum(rockbandster) who try to lessen the effectiveness of the realize band. If you do not have a realize band how can you talk about its lack of success?

Getting the band has been the best decision I have ever made!! I am sure that many folks with the lapband would agree.

I read the thread that Rockbadnster posted and the information shared does not match what my doctor and nurse stated.

My doctor and nurse from Alta Bates Hospital in Oaklnd stated the Realize Band is pre-filled with 2-cc, but that the Lap Band is not pre-filled, because the manufacture does not recommend pre-fill for the Lap Band.

My doctor states both accomplish the same task. He does not recommend one over the other and states that I need to select the band I want.:thumbup:

I am thankful for Jason's reply. I have an empty Realize Band (placed Aug 5) and I have so much restriction, I requested to for go my first fill. I thought there might be something wrong with me (slippage, erosion, etc) but knowing someone else has restriction with an empty band makes me feel better. Great software with the Realize Band, also. :thumbup: