Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

breastfeeding while banded

I'm wondereing what you all think of nursing while having a band. I spoke with my Dr. who said it was okay. He said the body produces its own glucose and my body will regulate itself. He said if my body wasn't getting enough nutrients, that my milk will dry up. But, I spoke with the nutritionist who thinks it's a bad idea. She says it takes approx. 400 calories to nurse and I would be depriving my own body of the proper nutrients. Any thoughts? I'm getting banded in 2 weeks.

You can get your calories in liquid form and drink them. Sure, "real" food is better but I see no reason why you couldn't nurse a baby. You can grow one banded, why couldn't you nurse one? If I'm not mistaken, all fill comes out of your band when you get pregnant, right? Just don't get filled again until you and the baby are done nursing.

I think the nutritionist who thinks it's a bad idea is wrong. Does she realize how easy it is to eat an extra 400 calories? Hello!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Kathy. I too am looking forward to the day when I can have another child. I plan on having NO fill in my band when I get pregnant, and then keeping it that way all through pregnancy, and also while I nurse.

I nursed my first child through the first 7 weeks and know what a wonderful bonding experience it was, and plan on doing it again with the next one.

Good luck to you, and please let us know what you find out. I really hadn't thought of the calorie question to keep milk supply up (good question!).

P.S. Good suggestions Kathy! I would think that the Isopure Protein drinks would be a wonderful low fat, high Protein addition to any nursing mother's regime (they offer 100 or 200 calories per serving too), along with Domperidone and or Mother's Milk/Tiger's Milk tea. I relactated for Dylan when he was 6 months because the formula was binding him up so badly, and I used the Domperidone to up my supply. It worked wonders!

Are you a nursing mom who is getting banded? Or someone who is just wondering about it for the future? IMO, if you're currently nursing and go for banding, you very likely will suffer a drop in milk production as you drop your intake of calories. Whether your nursing relationship could survive that is questionable, I'd think.

If you're not yet pregnant then I think you'll be perfectly fine during the nursing phase as well as pregnancy and delivery. Your body will adjust to whatever you're giving it, and while you may want additional nutrients for you, your baby will be just fine. Having your band emptied while pregnant is easily enough done and seems to be common enough practice.

I've read somewhere, I don't know if it's here or on another site, about a woman who very successfully nursed after banding. As a matter of fact, she was already nursing, got banded, she & her doc made sure all her liquids had Protein (even when on Clear Liquids, she used Isopure, which is loaded w/protein) & that she was very hydrated. I'll try & find out who it was & pm you.

O.K. I found the person. It's Burnsun, and she's posted. Do a search for "nursing" and you will find her. Also on the member list, then you can PM her. Good luck.

I worked with a nutrionist (recommendation from my la leche legue) so that I would not have a loss in milk production.

I think the nursing actually helped with my rapid loss. However it will depend a lot on how old your little one is- on what you need.

FOR ME- I needed a minumum of 150 g of carbs almost 80 - 90 g of Protein anf more fat than you could imagine (I always had trouble with the fat). I took a prenatal Vitamin (had to switch to a chewable one- there is one by the way) but eventually went to generice kids from walmart- insurance wouldn't cover them after 16 months, fish oil pills and folic acid!!! And Water and milk and Water and milk and JUICE- no aspetame or splenda and did I say water more than 12-14 glasses a day!!!

But adrian was 13 months at time of banding ( but up till 2 weeks ago I was her ONLY MILK source) . Our newly adopted girl needs all the milk she can get right now- SO I decided it was time to wean- I still let her comfort nurse once a day.

My problem was after surgery! I wouldn't take any pain meds, and the anethiaolgist was worried about the nursing (I nursed about 3 hours after surgery - I fed her right before I left for the hospital) Again I had a list of what they could and couldn't use and I could still nurse her or how long I had to wait. They stuck to our plan for the anethetics and antibiotics, I stuck to the food plan - only difference from the usually doctor's plan was the Isopure 24 hours after after surgery and more gatoraide (for the carbs) than I ever wanted. I had enough fat to cover about 24 hours as long as she kept sucking.

Now if you baby is younger than about 4 months - you may need to do other things or possible have some supplement for the little one for the first few days (you can use a supplementer and not give bottle if that is important to you!!!!)

It worked for me and we continued for almost another year in a wonderful relationship - and I tell everyone Adrian is sucking it off me!!!!

I still need to have a shake most days- to keep my Protein high enough_I can't get the 80-90 g with out it - but I also exercise enough to burn about 350-500 calories a day too. Make sure you keep stuff in you vehicle, desk and other places. Because I do occasionally have the need for ""FOOD""" fast or I get really tired! So I always have a slim fast with and without carbs- depoending on the feeling (and boy I know) I also have COS- so keeping a decent milk supply is realatively difficult for most sufferers.

But I also took all of my (then three) kids to Mexico with me for banding- because Adrian needed to nurse and I was afraid of who would bring her back if something happened. I also didn't stay in the hospital overnight. I went to the hotel around 8 pm and had som chicen broth & gatoraide per instructions!!!!

Adrian also went when I got my one & only fill. If i were to get pregnant. I would personally try to keep my fill If I am not vomiting (however this would be different than with Adrian- that was 10 months of pucking!! DH thought bullimic pucked less than me). I would also try to keep weight gain to the baby- but keep the carbs and Protein high through good stuff, (My opinion and hoping it waits till I am at goal to happen if god knock twice in this lifetime)

Jane -

Thank you so much for all of the information! I was a puker too while PG with Dylan. 7 times in the morning was nothing for me.

I actually had to get a guarantee from my OB that he would prescribe me some Phenergen when we start trying again because I threw up so much. And as we all know, that's not a good thing with the band.

I am going to copy and paste the info in this thread, with your permission. I want to make sure that I do the nursing thing right next time around.

I had many complications and could only nurse Dylan to 7 weeks the first time around, but would've liked to go longer. Those problems have been corrected, so next time around I'd like to try to go to 1 year, using Adiri nursers when I can't be here (when hubby watches baby while I make a quick run to the store or something).

Anyway....thanks again for the info. I really want to make a go of it next time around, and am gathering any and all info. that will be pertanent to my situation now that I'm a bandster.

Have a fantastical kind of day! ~Kelly

Thank you everyone for the wonderful replies. I am currently nursing my 10 week old Catalyna. I am definetly going to contact the lactation consultant to see what she thinks. I bought some ensure today. How much gatorade were you drinking a day. I am mainly worried about the first few days after surgery. From what I've read, it is hard to keep virtually any liquids in- due to feeling full. I'll be 12 weeks post at time of surgery. I hope I can keep nursing---I nursed my son for nine months. Everyone keeps telling me to postpone my surgery or just give her formula. There is NO way I can do that. Of course they are all a size 5 and never nursed. Once again thank you for all of the input, if you think of anything else please let me know.

Smart move to talk to the lactation consultant. Does Catalyna take a bottle at all? I'd imagine you may need to do some pumping and supplementing her for the fisrt few days after surgery, just to make sure you don't lose your milk supply and she stays nourished. The biggest problmes I see ahead of you are surgery day and the first night. If she can be bottle fed and you pump during that time, I'm sure you can work in regular feedings after that without too much problem. Get the pillows ready for shielding your belly. Nursing while laying down is perfect but there was no way I could have laid on my port side and nursed. The other side, yes, but not the port side. Kudos for moving forward. You will work to get through and you will both be fine. Let us know how it goes, all the gory details and all!

I'm so excited for you that you are going to try to continue to nurse through surgery! Major props to you!

I would seriously consider getting some Domperidone. I had to order mine online but it REALLY helped in getting my milk supply going, and keeping it sustained while pumping religiously and relatcting for my son.

Good luck, and if you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

What is Domperidome? I was hoping it is a wonderful wine. Probally no such luck huh-LOL. Cat does take a bottle. I've been giving her 1 to 2 a day of formula. Just in case all doesn't work out- she'll be prepared. She loves the bottle and the formula. She has a fit if I take her away to burp her. Must be some good stuff. My biggest fear with quitting nursing is that she'll have problems with ear infections later in life. I hear most bottle fed babies end up with ear problems (ie. needing tubes). Life is quite a bit easier with bottles during the day though. I love to nurse at night- it's just sooo easy- especially since she is still getting up every 2-3 hrs. yuck

I never considered how it may hurt holding her to nurse for a while. Maybe the boppy will work. How long does it take for the tenderness at port area to go away? Do you have any cravings after surgery?

I am not a lc- but the biggest thing is keeping hydrated. I drank three small Isopure things about 25 mg Protein 3 times a day!! then 3-4 gatoraide bottles and all the Water I can get in all day the day after surgery till day 7. Somewhere in there I added more isopure- but I was starving.

Biggest is making sure the pain medicine is compatable so no pumping and dumping unless absoulutely necessary!

For all of your information- you only need about 300 extra calories to be pregnant- but 400-500 extra a day to breast feed depending on child age. Also it is much easier after 6-8 weeks to have a change in schedule than before- because milk already well established and the little ones have less problem with nipple confusion. Again what I know from three adopted breast fed children and almost 2 years with my biological one- I think she would have nursed till college if I let her!

The biggest craving I had after surgery was calories. I felt like I was swooning, not dizzy or about to fall over, just muddled, not clear-headed. I knew I needed calories. I think Isopure is a clear protien powder you can mix with Gatorade to get some protien in. That would be very helpful. Water, Water, water, too, for lactating.

You might need to put the boppy on top of a pillow across your lap for support, and to keep her high, off your belly. Then you might need another pillow under your arm supporting her head, whichever side she's on. You will work it out and it will be fine.

Nursing is best, that's for sure so if you can suffer through and not lose your milk supply you will be able to nurse her through for months and months. If Kelly can relactate at 6 months (well done, BTW!) you can do this.

Do you have a good breast pump? Look into spending $50-75 for a month's rental if not. Electric. Double. Even if she doesn't drink the milk you pump, you will be keeping your supply up.

It was 2 weeks before I quit being REALLY sore in the port area. That's me, though. After that it was tender but got better every day.

I think the med kelly is talking about is an herbal supplement. I took something that started with an "F", I'll have to think...got it at GNC. It helps boost your milk supply. It's in a capsule, so I'd worry about being able to take it newly banded...hmmm. That's where your lactation consultant will come in really handy.

You can do this! I have great confidence you will do well!!!