Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

needing surgery in mexico...need advice

so I am selling my truck to pay for this surgery, its leaving me about 7500.00 total for everything, thats the surgery, and airfare from oregon, my first choice was Dr. Ortiz, but he is asking 8000.00 for the surgery, plus i would have to shell out airfare, and i dont have any extra pennies let alone several hundred..so i need a plan B. I found one place Tijuana, Mexico Gastric Sleeve but no one seems to have mentioned them, they are affordable, but i would like personal comparisons and references on them, also Dr. Kuri seems very good, and popular on here...but his site lists no price. I am scared to death about getting one of these horror "hack jobs" ive heard/read about, but i need this done, and im starting to get sick at the thought i cant afford a good surgeon. I know most of you will say "do research" but i want your honest to god opinion about these dr's because im literally going for broke to get this done, and I dont have medical ins. right now to fix the mess (if there is one) Ideally, I would like to have 200.00 or so left over to save for my first fill, so please, inandate me with all of your opinions, PM if you would like (and I am not ignorant, if you are a "patient coordinator" flamer and you tell me about how great one dr. is, i will not be nice about it, only REAL people from this forum, no fanboys)

thanks everybody, i need advice...if this is even a good idea or not, and which dr. if it is a good idea....I am 5'10, 385 lbs (though no one ever would think i weighed that much, i have a wide frame, and alot of muscle) i am 28, and have been obese for about 10 years.

thanks!!

Dr. Kuri is where im going. He is also in Tijuana and his price is $7500 minus airfare. If u send in your info on his site...you will get several emails from Fran Steward Within the next 2 days.

It has a whole bunch of inportant stuff on it such as(price package,hospital,hotel,preop,etc). Im having my surgery later this month and I couldn't have picked a better doctor.

Btw..Fran also send an email with the phone numbers of Dr. Kuri's patients. You can speak to the one-on-one for youself.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi, I too was self-pay with no money to spare!!! I did go to Dr. Ortiz and am happy with my decision. The price is $7950, BUT if you are OK with a semi-private recovery room (which they don't really advertise) (and you'll most-likely be asleep thru recovery anyways-I was) it is $7700. That'll save u $250! Or if you can find someone else that wants surgery too, then you get a multi-discount with a private room for $7500 each. My sister almost came to do it with me, but didn't in the end. They do have payment plans that can maybe help you. Your flight would be to San Diego, so it is cheaper than flying into Mexico, so think about that too. Let me know if you have anymore questions, and Good luck whatever you decide!

:crying:

I used Dr. Rodriquez in Juarez and was extremely pleased. I had mine done July 25. My husband went with me and he was very impressed with the facilities and the people. I was on a floor with just American's and we were able to use our cell phones (did not get any extra charges on my bill). The cost was 7 thousand plus airfare. They pick you up in El Paso. If you are interested contact me and I will be glad to give you the name of my facilitator I used. In fact she had the surgery done years ago by Dr. Rod. and her husband just had it done at the end of July by Dr. Rod. Good luck

my husband and I never felt unsafe while in Juarez. Of course you stay at the hospital the whole time. It is in a very nice neighborhood. Some places send you to a hotel for a couple of days but that was not the case in Juarez. I read all the "scare" info you sent out earlier and then did my own checking and calling around. We were under no danger and never felt that way the whole time we were there.

my husband and I never felt unsafe while in Juarez. Of course you stay at the hospital the whole time. It is in a very nice neighborhood. Some places send you to a hotel for a couple of days but that was not the case in Juarez. I read all the "scare" info you sent out earlier and then did my own checking and calling around. We were under no danger and never felt that way the whole time we were there.

Who sent out scare info? And do tell, just where did you read this info that was "sent" out? Who was it sent to?

For Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez, how much was it and do they have payment plans? Can you finance through them or is there another company you can finance with? I have family in El Paso so that would probably be the easiest for me. How can I go about researching the dr.s stats? Feel free to PM me with information!

I just want to start by saying: I have no personal knowledge of Juarez; however, I watched the movie, Bordertown (with Jennifer Lopez); which, was based on true events and that took place in Juarez. Like I said, I have never been to Juarez, and I do not know how big it is, but the movie was an eye-opener! Also I read in one of these posts that a popular Lap Band surgeon in Juarez was gunned down and killed. I'm not trying to discourage anyone form going there, but I would like to encourage all to be very careful no matter where they decide to go, please!

I noticed you were banded in Tijuana. They have been in the news for some time (since 1997) for killings and kidnappings. Yesterday they were in the news for kidnapping of an American women and her daughter (I believe). I never saw anything about a "Important Lap Band Doctor" being killed nor did I find any such thing on the internet. Does not mean it did not happen. All I am saying is were you were at is as dangerous or more so than Juarez. In fact, if you go to some places in Arkansas right now it is dangerous (if any of you have seen it on the news...West Helena, Arkansas). When people started posting things on lapband talk right before my surgery I contacted my facilitator and contact numbers given on alert sights. I was told to use precautions like don't go walking the streets at night or in certain neighborhoods. Heck I got that warning when I went to New York City for vacation. In Juarez we stayed in the hospital Angeles the whole time and it was in a good part of town. Even driving to and from the airport into Juarez we felt safe.

Do your own research and contact people....that is what I did. Doing research and asking questions does not cost anything and you are not bound to a certain doctor just because you check into the facilities or the surroundings.

That is EXACTLY why I prefaced my statement with, "I have no personal knowledge of Juarez"... and also restated that I have never been there, and to be careful and do your research for anywhere. I will also add (which, I have in other posts) that I did not go out walking the streets of Tijuana after dark or alone either. I did feel comfortable during the day though, and I wouldn't go as far as saying (or not saying) that Tijuana is more dangerous then Juarez. As for the Dr. from Juarez, I read about his death on a post here on Lapbandtalk, so I can neither confirm or deny that as fact. As I said (and I'm not making it up, nor do I have anything to gain-you can rent the DVD), Bordertown is based on true events, which, happened in Juarez with more than 5000 girls/women being raped and killed and found places there. Much of it was covered up-this is real and scary, and yes some of that may happen in Tijuana, and even Arkansas. However I wouldn't put all of my faith and trust into a facilitator, whom is gaining money from getting my business, as they may assure you that it is safe. The main point is to just be careful and use caution always when in a new place (or anywhere). :thumbup:

Hello,

I just got back from TJ mexico. I couldn't have been happier. My cost was 6500.00 plus air fare. My Doc was Dr. Francisco M. Contreras Guarista. Everythting was wonderful. My husband, daughter and myself flew into San Deigo. The driver was waiting for use. We got over the boarder in no time. (Like Minutes) Dr Contreras was waiting for us at the Hospital. He went to the admissions desk got all my paper work ready. We then went ttot my room then had test done. The Doctor was with me almost the whole time. After surgery he came to my room twice that night. The morning he personally in his car drove us to the hotel. WOW.... what a hotel. It was nice. He then came back that night to check on me. The next morning he came back again checked me out... temp, bP and any questiios I had. This was evertime I saw him. The day I was to leave he walked us to our driver. Kissed me on the cheek and said I would be hearing from him. All I have to say about the Whole mexico thing is WOW...... all that worry for nothing.

Hi all,

i was banded by Dr Ortiz on Aug 19, my experience was very good, me and my husband flew into San Diego, we hade the driver weithing there for us and another 6 adults from all over us and cananda, he took us over the border in no time no stopping at all since we ate on the plane he took us to the hotel beautiful Lucerna where we hade the whole afternoon to relax by the pool have a nice romantic dinner in the hotels restaurant, we went for a walk arond , took a cab and went to revolution ave and did a little shopping got some presents for our kids , the next morning the drivr picked us up at 7 am took as to the H i did my pre op stuff and after about few hours i was in the OR room , came out after 2 h i was walking around i spended the night in the H few of the others wanted to go to the hotel to spend the night that was ok too but since i have a privies open heart surgery i eanted to be safe then sorry :tt2:) so i stayed the morning after at 7 the driver took the rest of us to the hotel and everythng eas beautifull its been a week i lost 10 lb i'm so so happy i feel healthy. I thank God for giving me the priviledge to meet dr Otriz and his staff very nice people , i rather pay a little extra and kno i will be safe not take any chances because after all money come and go we stay so i would not be cheap when it comes to me or my family in any condition. if i hade to do it again i would o it in a heart beat belive me. i hope it helps for anybody that is so so sacred as i was. but i am happy with my desicin. take care and god bless u all in making u desicion.

Another happy Dr Ortiz bandster here, X 3 as my daughter and husband were also banded by him. Any questions about the experience I will be happy to answer.