Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 wks post op and I am so hungry

My first fill is on Aug 13, and I am SO hungry right now. My hunger also increases before my cycle starts, so I think that is also contributing to it right now. Please tell me after my 1st fill it will get better! Right now I don't feel ANY restriction at all. Is this normal before the first fill?

I ended up waiting 6 weeks before my first fill. I found the last 2 weeks before the fill I could eat pretty much anything. After the fill I felt it immediately. I was scared of PB or getting stuck so I was really careful the first week after. Now I can stay fuller longer. Head hunger can still be my major problem. It's been about 4 weeks since the fill.

Hi there, I can't really tell you that after your first fill you won't be hungry. I was banded June 21st and had my first fill July 25th and have only lost 2 lbs. I am still VERY glad I did it. If you read the forum on fills you will be very encouraged. Many people experience hunger up until 3 or 4 fills. Just hang in there as it will happen for us too. I try to read a lot of posts as it does help with the frustration.

I feel your pain sister! I am 5 weeks post op, I lost 12 pounds pre-op and I've only lost another 3-4 pounds post op. I am back on 'regular' foods now and my appetite is back full force and it's taking every ounce of will power that I have to control myself. it's not easy. I go for my first fill on 08/13 as well and I CAN'T wait!

We need to both post after our fills so we know how the other is doing! Hang in there and have faith in the band! :thumbup: I know this tool will eventually start helping!!

I am so glad to read this thread. I was banded 3.5 weeks ago. Until I read this I thought that my band "didn't work." I still feel hungry and feel like I can eat anything and I don't feel sick. My first fill is the 20th. My question is, how do you know if you have eaten too much? I don't want to stretch my pouch.

I'm not sure, but I don't see how at this point, meaning if there is no restriction... how can stretching the pouch can even happen. That is a good question thoguh?

Maybe somebody that happened to can tell us?????

Based on the lap band book provided by the center where I had my surgery it seems that stretching of the pouch occurs most often through throwing up and PBing. Also, the nurse at my doctor's office said it's very difficult pre-fill to stretch your pouch. Based on some of the research I've done and the postings in LBT I think they want you to limit what you eat and how much you eat to allow for healing and to rest your pouch so that the band can settle into place properly.

You guys are a Godsend! Thank you! I also have those thoughts running through my head "OMG! This didn't work". It's just scary when it starts coming off really easy in the first month and then the hunger sets in. The hunger is evil and that has always been my downfall. I can live without certain foods, I just don't like feeling hungry! I will post after I get my fill next week. :)

Okay I posted before but I'll tell you what my difference is in eating and feeling fuller sooner. First fill of 4.6cc 7/11. Before fill could eat small salad with a little bread 6oz steak & small baked potato. I know that is more than one should eat. Now I would eat like at Applebee's fried chicken salad (bad me the fried part) and 2 mini chicken sandwiches. Eating only the bottom half of the bread not the top. I was FULL. And it lasted at long time. Before the fill, that would have been just a teaser. In the past 4 weeks on the doctors scale I'm down 4 pounds and that's okay with me. I'm a slow loser but I'm going in the right direction.

I am with you guys about being hungry. TOM is visiting me today and I feel hungry. I am 3 weeks post op and pretty much eating soft foods but some days I feel I can keep eating. Everything goes down good. It takes alot to keep myself on track.

Question??? What are you guys eating at 3 or 4 weeks out (before first fill)? Are you giving in to the hunger?

I am so glad to read this thread. I was banded 3.5 weeks ago. Until I read this I thought that my band "didn't work." I still feel hungry and feel like I can eat anything and I don't feel sick. My first fill is the 20th. My question is, how do you know if you have eaten too much? I don't want to stretch my pouch.

You stated my exact fears. I could eat right after surgery even though folks said they couldnt. I have never felt like there was anything I couldnt eat. My first fill is August 16th under fluro. I have this fear there is something wrong with my band because I have never felt any restriction.

Here I thought that I was the only one hungry!!!! I'm so glad that other people are with me! I was banded on July 16th and have my first fill on Aug. 29th. I just keep praying that I can make it until then. Especially now that I am a day or so away from first "cycle" post op. It was been misreable!!!! I feel like my post op restriction is getting less and less with each passing day.

I have, however, began to exercise. Just walking my rear off in the evenings so I feel like I'm doing something right. It's funny, I thought to myself that this thing is not working,but I am down 15 lbs. so something must be working!!! LOL!!! Thanks for listening to my babble! :)

Hey! I just wanted to give you a couple of answers to what I've been eating. First of all, eggs. Scrambled. A slice of toast. Also, Unjury Protein. Works great for hunger times!! I love the strawberry and vanilla. I mix strawberry with 20 oz. Water and one crystal lite lemonade pack. Kills two birds with one stone. You're getting 20 oz. protein and 20oz. water. With the vanilla, mix crystal lite orange. Really, really good! Also, sugar free instant bfast mixed with 1% milk at nite. For real food- Small,small portions of what I feed my family. ie. small bowl spg. with sauce. refried Beans with melted cheese on top. shredded chicken, 1/2 baked potato,gr. beans...etc... I WILL NOT deprive myself. If I do, I'll fail. You know how it goes. Remeber all of the past FAILED diets we've been on??? Why did it fail? Deprivation for me and of course let's not forget losing and putting it back on,but that's a whole other subject! Whew!!! I am trying to be careful about sugar and absolutely no pop. That has always been my downfall. Diet Mt.Dew,but still! That was taking the place of water in my life. Haven't had it for over three weeks now and I feel a heck of a lot better. I will also eat a T. of pbutter for a snack. It's filling! I hope that this helps. Also, really trying to avoid bread. Another downfall of mine. Just don't want to fall back into bad habis that I am trying to really break once and for all. I feel like this is my one last shot and I really can't afford to blow this one!

My first fill is on Aug 13, and I am SO hungry right now. My hunger also increases before my cycle starts, so I think that is also contributing to it right now. Please tell me after my 1st fill it will get better! Right now I don't feel ANY restriction at all. Is this normal before the first fill?

Zeama,

Completely normal for a lot of us.

Wish I could tell you it gets better with the first fill but everyone is different.

Like you I was so hungry and could eat anything before my first fill.

I too get hungrier right before my cycle.

Just keep in mind that your band is not inflated yet its just sitting in there with no fill in it.

Honestly I had no restriction after my first fill but I went back and got another fill 6 weeks after that I finally found restriction. woo hoo

It does happen but for some of us it takes 1,2,3,4 fills to feel your band.

I wish I was one of those people that never needed even there first fill. HA my aunt was like that she never had a fill and had surgery 2 years ago(grrrrr just a little jealous). But I am not that way so fills I need to get.

Just remeber to follow the band diet. protien first veggie's second then starch(carbs) and do not drink during or for and hour to 2 hours following your meal. Hard Yes I Know I still sometimes struggle with that

If you need to eat more eat protien it does make you feel fuller longer.

Good Luck

I had my surgery on July 18th... i also have never felt any restriction at all... and worry that my band has slipped.... plus i was told a week ago by my dietitian... to NEVER eat more then 1/2 a cup or it will stretch my pouch... so thats what i have been doing... i dont feel anywhere close to full off 1/2 a cup... but my stomach dont growl again after for about 4 hrs...

Edited by MyMeshelle