Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused with how much food i should be eating...

Im 19 days post op and im on pureed food... i feel like i can eat a cup or more of food til i feel full.... should i be eating less or waiting to feel satisfied? My dietitian told me this "Since the size of the pouch created by the band is initially 1/8-1/4 of a cup and then only progresses to 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup, this limits calories to about 500-600 per day during the Pureed diet (Step III) and 750-900 Calories per day during the Soft diet (Step IV). I am actually amazed that patient's can eat this much, considering the volume an average 250 Calorie meal takes" There is no way i would be satisfied off 1/8-1/4 of a cup... I thought right now i would be able to eat more since i havent had any fills yet... and later i would eat less... but according to him that isnt true??? :confused2: I dont wanna strech my pouch!!

I"ve actually wondered the same thing myself, I am 3 weeks post op today and I can easily eat a cup of food until i'm satisfied. My nutritionist never gave me any guidelines on exactly how much to eat when i've asked, all she says is "you'll know when you've had enough", well my enough is about 1 cup right now and I dont know if that's too much. I go for my first fill 8/14 so i'm sure i'll probably eat less after that?????

I am 6 weeks post-op and could eat at least a cup of soft foods. My nutritionist gave me no info on this. I tried to eat no more than a cup at a time but if after a while I was still hungry, I ate more. After fill, I did eat less but that is now creeping up again. I may eat a little more than some others but it seems that this is pretty normal from what I have read.

Losing weight right now is not the priority. You need to let your band heal. I have been told about 2 cups of food, my sister was told a cup, others have been told 1/2. You need to find where you start getting that slight feeling of being full and stop. Get up and walk away, if after 15-20 minutes you are still hungry then eat some more. Always eat your Protein first and eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. I have been very lucky and not much bothers me, I don't drink pop, because of the carbonation, I don't suck threw a straw, because of the excess air, I don't eat bread, because it is empty calories. Mind you it is not because I can't do these things I have made a choice not to. I have not ever had any problem with Pasta or bread. Others can't tolerate even a little bit. Everyone is different and you will find what works for you. If you are questioning your stomach size please talk to your doctor, they are the ones who know best what size you are and how much you should be able to hold.

Good Luck

Losing weight right now is not the priority. You need to let your band heal. I have been told about 2 cups of food, my sister was told a cup, others have been told 1/2. You need to find where you start getting that slight feeling of being full and stop. Get up and walk away, if after 15-20 minutes you are still hungry then eat some more. Always eat your Protein first and eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. I have been very lucky and not much bothers me, I don't drink pop, because of the carbonation, I don't suck threw a straw, because of the excess air, I don't eat bread, because it is empty calories. Mind you it is not because I can't do these things I have made a choice not to. I have not ever had any problem with Pasta or bread. Others can't tolerate even a little bit. Everyone is different and you will find what works for you. If you are questioning your stomach size please talk to your doctor, they are the ones who know best what size you are and how much you should be able to hold.

Good Luck

Ya im not even worried about the weightloss at this point... i am losing weight... Im asking about how much i should be eating cuz i dont want to be doing anything to damange my pouch... i paid $18,000 for my surgery... I dont eat bread or carbonation either because i was told not to... My main concern is that im not eating too much... I dont want to make my band slip... I havent felt "full" since before surgery...

Seriously, I want to cry tears of joy right now!

I am having the same problem!! Not only am I relieved to see other people with the same issues, but hopefully I can get an answer.

I was banded about 3 weeks ago and have reached the point that I am eating soft foods (fish, Beans, soft veggies, etc.) While I do find that I am not hungry between meals, which is great and all, it seems like I eat a lot to reach the point of feeling full. My nutritionist outlined what to eat, which I am following, but the only advice on amounts that was given was to start with 1/4 of a cup (as opposed to jumping right to 1 cup) and to eat only to the point of feeling satisfied. Well, I can easily eat a cup or more of food before I feel satisfied. I don't eat until I am over full and I don't have any pain. Plus I have not yet had anything feel stuck or whatever. But I am worried that the volume of food is too much and I am going to stretch my pouch.

I guess tomorrow I'll call the nutritionist and see what she says, but I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, or it just wasn't working for me (like I'm the exception and I will fail), or whatever.

If I get an answer tomorrow, I'll post it and let you know. Anyway, thank you so much for posting because at the very least I am relieved to feel that I am not just a pig who is screwing this up right from the start! :w00t: