Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas, Gas and more Gas

Hi all I had my surgery on Wednesday the 6th August. My left shoulder and neck in agony. Haven't slept at all since the op. It is trapped gas after the op. I have walked about day and night and taken gaviscon and motilium anything to get rid of the pain all to no avail. The wounds not sore at all. Can someone please give me some advice. Thanks

heating pad on next sholder help relieve is some for me, others have said ice. went out to Walmart and got one of those heat pads you throw in microwave to get hot. it gets really hot which helps me for at least a brief relief.

I am stil having some gas pains, walking helps and I have used Gas X strips and they help a lot too. I am now feeling the bruising around the incisions. It's sore now but since I'm on tylenol it helps. I have no desire for food which is strange, although I am sick of Jello LOL. The shakes aren't bad have to drink slower now which stops the gas.

I am about 20 lbs. heavier than the day of my surgery, which sucks, but the nurse said today that is not a real "true" weight, that will be taken in about 2 weeks. It's the bloating and gas and Fluid. My arms and legs look thinner and my boobs too. My stomach is just bloated out a bit, look sort of pregnant. I am going out tomorrow for the first time since I got home, been mostly sleeping and walking around the house. I hope I can wear a bra uncomfortably. See the nurses at the hospital on Thursday, and hope to get my permission to go to soft mushy foods like applesauce and cottage cheese.

Take care all

Pati

is there anything you all can suggest to help reduce the bloating? my stomach is sticking out like i'm pregnant -- it's super uncomfy, even after all the vicodin. (i'm not in any pain just...swollen. it's impossible to get any deeng amount of liquids down without making myself feel even more uncomfy. i've been walking and taking gasx as well. still: bloated. ack)

I just had surgery on Wed, the 13th...and I thought I was gonna die from the gas. I was wondering if I did a very horrible thing to myself. Today is much better...haven't had a BM yet, never thought I would be so much looking forward to one! LOL. Good to know I am not the only one out there....:)

weight.png

My surgery was on the 11th and I didn't have a bm until yesterday the 14th. I agree with you, it was very welcome. Have had some gas, but gas-x has taken care of it, Thank God. My muscles are sore now. I go back to work on Tuesday and hope everything will be all right. That is also the same day I am to start my mushie stage. A little worried about that one. Hang in there, it does get better.

I was banded on Aug 13th as well and I just started noticing the gas poops this morning. I have been having a bit of pain from the port I think usually in the mornings-I have been sleeping sitting up in bed with pillows bunched behind me. I'm going out Sunday with my husband and inlaws (she was banded in March) to see the Chicago Air and Water Show from a hotel suite. I only hope the gas slows down.

Yes, I don't think I'm getting all the Water I need, it just takes so long to drink water-I would have to be drinking all the time to even get close. As for the protein-I found this great Protein whey isolate called nectar, doesn't taste like a Protein Drink at all. I got mine online and at a local store call The Vitamin Shoppe-they had lots of flavors; Lemonade, Iced Tea, Twisted cherry which tastes like watered down gatorade.

Good Luck

lol - makes me laugh to find such free speech about burping and "pooting." Cute word; so much more feminine too. lol I'm a little relieved to see that much of the gas problems are because some are lactose intolerant. I'm not, so gas hasn't been a huge issue. I'm a little concerned though about the fact that I don't have to strain my Healthy Choice cream soups... I chew the little bits, what little of them there are. My surgery was Aug. 6 and I'm so afraid I'll find out my band slipped. I can eat an entire can of Soup with a half cup of skim milk and it fills me, but I've not experienced any of the throwing up or indications I've eaten too much. I'm using the whey Protein Powder from Wally World twice a day with soup the third meal since there are 57 grams of Protein in each whey Protein Shake. Any comments would sure be appreciated! Good luck everyone!!!

Any comments would sure be appreciated!

Welcome! I would call your surgeon to make sure that you should be eating those bits in the Soup. The whole idea behind staying on liquids is to keep your stomach from "squishing" around to digest solids. The liquids just go right through and keep your stomach from all those contractions. I wouldn't be worried about your having slipped so much as I would be worried that your post-op eating instructions are quite clear enough.

Also, watch those whey drinks. Your body cannot absorb more than about 25g of Protein in a sitting, so spread that whey out to make sure that you are actually keeping what you are drinking instead of half of it just being wasted instead of used.

Is the Whey Protein powder pretty good? I can just mix it with Soup, yogurt or pudding?

Some people have been really successful mixing the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored into those foods. I saw where someone was hooked on the strawberry Unjury mixed into her yogurt.

Personally, I've ditched most of the powders and prefer the New Whey bullets in fruit punch. I pour them into my crystal light drinks.

I am using the Whey Bullets now. ( fruit punch ) I drink them straight, since I'm having trouble getting 64 oz of liquids a day. Thought maybe mixing a powder with my food would help me get the Protein.< /p>