Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old Goat ? Hoping to find other Old Goats to take this L.B. Journey with Me.

Will take a good look at the New Balance 768. Walking a lot is a little hard for me right now, strained a lower leg tendon real bad a little over a year ago out in the AZ Mountains. But walking is starting to come back. I do swim 5 days a week and do little with the weights.

Progress

First step. Got the call to set my appointments with the Psychologist the 2nd and 4th weeks of Sept. that along with my appointment with the Dietitian the 3rd week Sept. I am on my way. Aye

Second step wait six weeks wait.

Third step – Attend a Weight Loss Support Group Meeting.

Forth step – grumble, shuffle feet, grumble, wait.

The 1st Seminar that I attended all the Lap Benders telling us their stores recommended that we try and loose weight before the Surgery that it would make it a lot easier on us. So not to just set and wait 6 Weeks think I’ll try and shrink the old liver.

One more time the old Will Power Over the food should be able to remove 15 or 20 lbs before the cut if it even happens this year.

:)

Welcome to the forum.

I no longer need to take any medicine for diabetes and I no longer have to use a cpap machine.

The best thing is that I can keep up with the grandchildren.

Hi Joe that’s such great news to hear of your success over Diabetes. That is the Carrot LB surgery offers possible reversal of my Diabetes. That put me over the top to have it done Thanks. Still not sure what makes it work? But then who cares if it works.

OG, I had my surgery February 26th. I was on 6 Rx meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglicerides, also used a CPAP for the past 6 years. Knees were killing me and I could hardly walk without a cane. I was 5'6, 265lbs. In 5 months I am down to 210 lbs, only on one medicaiton now for blood pressure (hope to be off of it by the end of the year), diabetes is under control (last A1LC was 5.2), and CPAP is stored away in the closet. I walk more than 20 miles every week and exercise with weights at the gym 3 days a week. I am down from a 46 waist size in my britches to a 40 and they are getting loose now. Only regret is I wish I would have done this LB sooner.

I wish you all the best on your journey with the LB. Keep posting and let us know where you are in the process.

This old goat here feels almost like a kid again.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks so much for sharing where you have been and your progress made to date. Sure hope to keep in touch with all you guy's, that are getting me so excited to get this done.

My Dietitian called and was able to move my date up to the 4th week in Aug. On the move :lol:

Got a question for you Guy's. Exercise By The Book I have noticed from reading this forum that a lot of the most successful LB state "I do it by the Book". What would be the recommended exercise lets say for a 55 years and up Male. I'm not a 25-35 year old Jock any more.

Thats an easy one, just start walking, the more you do the better off you will be! I am now 2weeks post op, have dropped 30 lbs, I walk every day at least 3 miles and here is the most exciting part for me, my blood sugar for the past 4-5 days has been <100. That is the lowest it has been since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost 5 years ago by a long shot. This is just great stuff!!!!!!

Hi BigRick - Man I’ve held off posting you giving you time to heal. Wow only two weeks after Surgery, down 30 lbs, Walking 3 Miles per day, Blood Sugar at or below 100 that’s Greaaaaaaaat. At that rate three Months from now you will be off all Medication back to walking “what is it 9 Miles” over rough terrene and at your Goal. You will have to change your user Name to SkinnyRick.

Input from you Guy’s says Walk – Walk – Walk. I did start working on that 3 weeks ago only up to ½ Mile per Day but then a little over a Year ago I was in a Walking Boot for over 5 Months for the strained Tendon. I can go farther but the leg will not, sure my current Weight has a lot to do with it. But I will make it happen.

Trying to set a Goal for myself should it be 4 Miles per Day 7 Days a week.

Would that be a good doing it Buy the Book?

:)

I agree with bigrick, walking is the best for those of us who are not young jocks. In fact walking is good for everyone at any age. OG you are doing great, off to a good start. Take it slow at first like you are doing now and don't push yourself too hard. Four miles a day is a great goal, but just take it easy at first, a little at a time. Once you get banded and the weight starts coming off, you will be surprised how far you will be able to walk.

Yeah, I think that walking is even more important for weight loss than diet.

Big Rick, how GREAT to hear that you're making great progress! I've been offline for awhile - last time I was here, you were having difficulties getting your sugars where you wanted them. Now, a couple weeks later, you're all about the exercise, with great sugars and great weight loss... CONGRATS!

Yeah, for the first week or so I was definitely struggling with things harder than I thought I would have to. Then all of a sudden I sort of turned the corner and now I feel great! It is getting a little harder to resist eating to much as I wont get my first fill for another few weeks but I am absolutely on my way and very excited about it all!

OG- Walking has been my main excercise. I do some resistance work and try to get on the recumbant bike, but walking is number one. I'd love to be able to hit it harder like I did in my twenties and thirties, but with my RA, that's not going to happen.

Good luck in jumping through the hoops....

Bruce

Hi Brewa - Sure looks like the Band got you on the path of recovery. 101 lbs to date. Also looks like you got the head part right, still got that part of it to learn from the psychologist.

One thing I'm pretty sure of with the input and advice of you guys it will happen for Me.

Guys like my new photo starting to play around with the forum?

Fenton I read your response to ronnfia I was impressed hope you would help me should I falter.

Well guys I am taking your advice kicked it up a notch this week from 1/2 mile to .7 tents mi not much but a start.

Now don't forget I'm still not banded, feel like a fully loaded freight train going down the track just watching all those Pretty little perfumed bullet trains speeding by.

Yup, I really do feel like a new man. Lot's of benefits to shedding a third of me. My mission is not complete however, I need to get back with it soon to lose the last few pounds. A couple vacations and busy at work have been my excuse for getting out of my routine.

Good luck with your walking. After a while, I acually looked forward to my walk.

Bruce

I tell you what has helped me keep motivated with my walking and exercise. It is being able to see the calories I burn during every workout. I purchased a Polar Heart Rate Monitor (Model F55). It's was very easy to set up and it calculates everything for you automatically based on the information you enter and a self-test that is run on your resting heart rate.

As an example of yesterdays workout. I did 30 minutes of weight training and 1 hour 10 minutes of cardio (tredmill & eliptical) at the fitness center. Total workout time, 1 hour 40 minutes, total calories burned 930, 50% fat. Max heart rate 138 and average heart rate for the workout was 122. It is amazing to see some of these weekly totals running between 5,000 and 6,000 calories. Sure keeps me motivated.