Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - Angry About Lap Band.

It all depends on what u can tolerate after the surgery. I can eat red meat (hamburger, steak) if chewed well. I also can eat a little bit of nuts again if i chew them up well. I cannot handle bread so I do not eat it although I love it. I try to eat my Protein first then my veggie. Nowhere does it say u can never again have a sweet. U can have something sweet here and there u just dont want to make it a habit or u will not lose the weight. I will occasionally have some sugar free ice cream. I have tried soda but it makes me very gassy so I stick to my diet ice tea which I handle the caffeine in that fine.

I would definitely find a surgeon in your area and attend a seminar. They are free and you usually get a chance to meet people who have had the surgery and ask them questions as well as get factual information from the surgeon.

That piece was key in getting my hubby on board with surgery and he is a tough nut to crack. He does not believe in doctors, pills, etc.

I agree with what the others are telling you about food and restrictions. Do some more research, this site is a great place to start! I am getting a realize band on Aug 5 (can't wait!) and they also have a very informative site about banding.

I hope you find what is right for you and what will work for you.

I have not closed the door on the option and that is why I am posting here. I'm been on a low carb diet for about three months [give or take] and have lost about 25 lbs. I added the weight tracker thingy to my signature to see how well I can do without the lap band. A couple of follow-up questions:

• How many doctors did you speak with choosing one?
  • Is a lap band like a diamond [forever] or do folks have them for period of time and them have them removed?
  • What is the rate of expected weight loss for men?
  • Are most members of this forum women? If so, why?
  • Will exercise cause the band to slip? [i don't want to give up my lousy golf game, throwing around the kids in the pool, or gardening]
  • Can anyone recommend doctors in the metro DC area?

Thanks for your patience.

Charles

I have not closed the door on the option and that is why I am posting here. I'm been on a low carb diet for about three months [give or take] and have lost about 25 lbs. I added the weight tracker thingy to my signature to see how well I can do without the lap band. A couple of follow-up questions:

• How many doctors did you speak with choosing one?
  • Is a lap band like a diamond [forever] or do folks have them for period of time and them have them removed?
  • What is the rate of expected weight loss for men?
  • Are most members of this forum women? If so, why?
  • Will exercise cause the band to slip? [i don't want to give up my lousy golf game, throwing around the kids in the pool, or gardening]
  • Can anyone recommend doctors in the metro DC area?

Thanks for your patience.

Charles

I wanted to address a few of your questions.

I actually had a quite easy time finding my doctor, and he was the only one I spoke with. I did extensive research about the procedure and the side effects.

The lap band itself is made to be permanent. However there are cases where it needs to be removed due to erosion.

Men tend to lose weight faster (and it seems, easier) than women do. Go to the mens lounge and ask some questions of the guys!

I believe that the majority of the members on this forum are women. I don't think that there is a specific reason for this other than the fact that there are more women than men period, and that women have a very difficult time with weight.

Most moderate exercise will NOT cause the band to slip, however with the research I have, some are told to avoid heavy lifting for a time, something to discuss with your doctor. We are very much encouraged to exercise, and frequently!

I can't help with this last one as I live in the west.

I hope this helps a bit!! Good luck!!

Charles,

I, like you, have lost a lot of weight in my life but always gained it back. I tried to "pretend" I had the band when I was on my insurance required supervised diet pre-op. Well I did fine but I knew I could lose weight I wanted something to help me keep it off. I was banded 5/28/2008 and I can tell you the "pretend band" does not hold a candle to the real thing. After fighting head hunger for a week I found that I really did well with very little food! It is such a different life for me now. I have never been able to eat as few calories as I do now and not be obsessed with wanting to eat more. For the first time in a long time I have hope for obtaining and maintaining a healthy weight. The band is my tool.

I wish you luck with your journey

I had my surgery on 5/9/08 and I've eaten most of the basic foods I ate before - only making better choices - baked, not fried, etc. Each person is different and each doctor is different. My doc had me do a 2 week liquid diet (Optifast, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popcicles and broth); then surgery and afterwards 10 days of Clear liquids (that means not even optifast!); then three weeks of full liquids (cream Soups added to the list); then mushies - grind everything up. Now I'm eating normally. I lost nearly 20 lbs before surgery and am up to about 50 now.

The idea is that you learn how to eat all over again. The head hunger is killer, but can be overcome with support. Yes, if you followed the diets we're following and eating in the right quantity then you'll lose weight - BUT ... if you're like most of us, you will be hungry all the time - miserable and ready to kill. And that's not much exageration!

I eat sweet potatos, broccoli, salad and other things that are generally not tolerated by many bandsters. Each person must try different foods and decide what works for them. I can eat shrimp one night but not the next - it's different every day.

You have to decide - diets with constant hunger or eating properly with no hunger... hmmmm easy choice for me. Do the research and read the things that are posted on this site and others. You'll figure it out. Best of luck, Barbara

Charles, my first thought is (please don't take offense)...maybe the lapband isn't for you if all you want is to continue eating the way you have that got you into trouble in the first place. We have all had to take a personal inventory of our motives and actions that has caused us to become obese. So, unless you change your way of thinking about food and Portion Control nothing is going to work for you.

It will be for me if I decide to do it. But it's not for me now.

I noticed that most of the folks that have replied to my post are either having the procedure in the near future, or had the procedure in 2008. I wonder if old-timers have anything new or different to add.

Charles

How many doctors did you speak with choosing one?

Two

Is a lap band like a diamond [forever] or do folks have them for period of time and them have them removed?

It is meant to be forever, but there may come a time when it needs to be repaired or replaced. It is still pretty new in the US (approved in 2001) and fellow bandsters, correct me if I am wrong but has been around in other countries since 1995.

What is the rate of expected weight loss for men?

It wholly depends on the dedication of the person, man or woman.

Are most members of this forum women? If so, why?

I think most are but there are quite a few men too...don't know why. There are a lot of banded men coming in an out of my surgeons office though.

Will exercise cause the band to slip? [i don't want to give up my lousy golf game, throwing around the kids in the pool, or gardening]

No, exercise will not cause your band to slip, you would be able to do it all

Can anyone recommend doctors in the metro DC area?

I am in Northern Virginia and my surgeon is in Reston, VA-Dr. Eric Pinnar.

Edited by Jodi_620

This is bogus information. 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies, 2 weeks solid. Fills at 6 week. I drink caffeine without a problem. As far as the diet goes, I eat everything just less of it. That includes fruits, vegies, meat, breads, rice, potatoes. Did you get this information from an actual surgeon? If so you may want a new one.

:glare::):angry::huh2:First of all, not sure where you got that info...but you should do some more research! no- you can not "train" yourself to follow the diet needed after band, b/c if that were true... none of us would be over weight! if i were you id attend a seminar, with a real surgeon and get the answers you need. Yes, after the band you have to follow a strict diet, but its not for life! after so long you can eat pretty much whatever you want, just a lot less of it. my band date is right around the corner, and i know for once that this is exactly what im supposed to be doing! good luck to you and i hope you find out the REAL facts before assuming this isnt for you!

Charles,

I started researching the band in January 2008. As a former Diet Coke addict, I got to the part where it said no carbonated beverages ever again in my research (though I know now that a few people do have carbonation post-banding), and I simply clicked off all the websites and decided the band wasn't for me. I was not ready to face giving up my Diet Coke. I would have gone on a starvation diet before doing that! LOL! And we all know it would have been yet another failed attempt.

When I clicked off those websites, though, and stopped researching the band, it certainly didn't make me "angry." It made me realize that I just wasn't ready to give up Diet Coke.

In March, it started to get really hot here and I REALLY wanted to wear shorts and a tank top, but I really needed to lose weight to feel comfortable in those types of clothes. So, I decided to give up Diet Coke and that's it. No diet change. No exercise change. Just give up carbonation and "see" if I could do it . . . and I told myself it WAS NOT in preparation for the band, but I knew at the time that if I could give up Diet Coke, then I would start researching the band more thoroughly.

I gave up Diet Coke on my own terms and in my own time and it was VERY easy. I haven't had it since March and I have ZERO desire to have it again.

I got my band on June 4, 2008, and it is the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I have lost 40 pounds . . . and guess what? I just ate a bowl of Pasta from a Lean Cuisine, chicken in Peanut Sauce. No problems.

I haven't fully explored what I can and can't eat because I've only had one fill and it was last week, so I'm taking it slow. But prior to my fill, I was able to eat ANYthing, within moderation, and provided it was chewed very well. I even eat tortillas and bread on occasion.

I stick to a low calorie diet, mostly Protein, but I do eat carbs. I can eat potatoes. Funny, breads and pastas are actually "easier" for me to eat than chicken . . . but I still eat my chicken first.

I do hope you continue to do research and not let one article with misleading information get you down. Like hundreds of people here, I absolutely love my band and my only regret is not getting it sooner.

I will post follow-up/related questions on another thread.

Charles

How many doctors did you speak with choosing one? TWO

Is a lap band like a diamond [forever] or do folks have them for period of time and them have them removed? They are intended to be permanent, but can be removed.

Will exercise cause the band to slip? [i don't want to give up my lousy golf game, throwing around the kids in the pool, or gardening] No.

Can anyone recommend doctors in the metro DC area?

I recommend Dr. Robert Pinnar in Reston, VA

Dr. Pinnar (and many other doctors) require patients to undergo a pre-surgical psychological evaluation. This might be a good tool for you to use in determining if lapband is the right thing for you. Dr. Pinnar also has a support group that you can attend as a prospective patient and talk to other patients.

You're right and you're wrong.

The lap band DOES force you to follow a set of eating rules that lead to healthier eating and greater weight loss.

The set of eating rules CAN be called a "diet," and if you would follow the rules of this "diet" without a lap band, you would lose weight. But, like any other "diet" you would have a 95% chance of failure. You might be able to stick to it for a few weeks or months, but sooner or later, there's a 95% chance you'll fail.

The difference is that the lap band forces you to comply - which ultimately means that you DO comply. Not just for a few weeks or a few months like on another diet, but forever. That is why the success rate to take off the weight and keep it off is 80%, as compared to 5% doing it "on your own" without surgery.

I'm also angry about the lap band. I'm angry that I need to have it while so many lucky skinny people don't have this problem. But I DO have this problem, and anger won't fix it. I wish I didn't need surgery to fix it, but I feel I have no choice. I have truly given 100% effort over the last 4.5 years, and I've succeeded and failed so many times I'm just work out from the fight - and just as fat as ever. With health complications that go with it. I need to do this for my health, I need to do this for myself.

Hope this helps answer your question. :thumbup: