Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who got thru losing a lot of weight without much saggy skin?

I am absolutely for anti-aging treatment products. With my genes, it's 50/50. I'll either end up looking like a bulldog when I'm 50 or I'll look 50 when I'm almost 90. SO...I've started early. I totally avoid the sun...I burn too bad anyway. And I always use anti-aging serums and moisturizers. I think I'm doing pretty good so far. No fine lines, no crows feet...(knock on wood) :)

I'm sorry to report that am in desperate need of PS. I've lost 125lbs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I'm 33, fair skin, lots of stretch marks and been over weight my whole life. I've never had kids but I am an apple shape - carrying most of my weight in my mid-section. Having been over weight my whole life, I wasn't expecting to not have any saggy skin but I will admit, I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift are my top priority now.<o:p></o:p>

Even though I look just as bad naked as I did at 300lbs - I FEEL better and you can't really tell in clothes. My clothing choices are limited though (long tops, no tank tops, gramma pants with a high waist, etc) <o:p></o:p>

My arms and inner thighs aren't looking too great but for now I can deal. Those are the 2 areas I wasn't expecting to be so bad. <o:p></o:p>

Saggy skin is not something to be afraid of - it's the price we have to pay for the damage we've done to our bodies. Just be realistic. There are a lot of factors that come into play.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Check out the Plastic Surgery Forum. Lots of brave people have shared their stories and pictures.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Candle-- you are raising the most absolutely important point here and I think we need to make sure we say that for other people who are pre-surg who look at this thread in the future. We don't want to scare them away from having the band. I actually heard someone who is about 250lbs overweight say that they would not do any WLS or lose a lot because she has nice skin (she really does too!) and she wouldn't want to have loose skin. I'm very worried for her. She is a wonderful woman and is developing serious health problems. I knew when I got the band that loose skin might happen and I was willing to face that possibility in order to get my life back. I have talked with several people who have loose skin and not 1 of them regrets having the band or bypass. They feel so much better. They are healthier. And they look better. Of course, I don't want it -- but if it is a consequence of my weight loss -- so be it. I'll get some surg for what ever makes sense and if there is loose skin that I can't fix--then I'll be so happy and grateful to have my health, strength and energy back that I'll be just fine.

Well---yes. When I said "my fat was older" I really meant that the skin around the remaining 50lbs has been stretched for a long time. I began gaining weight 25 years ago. I have been at least 50lbs overweight all that time. Then about 5 years ago I started gaining another 50. So the 50 I lost had been there about 5 years and I don't see wrinkles. But that original 50 has been there for about 25 years so I'm wondering what will happen.

double post by accident...see below

Edited by Kimmie K

Certainly my reason for creating this post was not to discourage people from getting the band if there was a risk of them having loose skin. That would be ridiculous. The only reason I ask questions here is to get opinions from people that are already experiencing the "band lifestyle" and to hear how each person that responds to my questions is personally affected by having the band.

The purpose of this post was to locate some of the people that have cases that are normal, out of the norm or to locate a few people that "got lucky" by losing a considerable amount of weight and are happy enough with the outcome that they don't feel PS is necessary for them. It's all about gathering statistical information. After all, knowledge is power. If people were more aware that possibilities are endless regarding this surgery it would allow them to take the "band path" with a little more of an open mind and not be so scared just because they're only aware of the outcome experienced by a few people...that's partly what forums are for right...support and knowledge?

I've been dry skin brushing for about a year. It's common in Europe, not so much here. I got the idea from Teresa Tapp, whose exercise videos T-Tapp, I do. She sells the dry skin brushes for about 10 dollars on her website. It takes me about 5 minutes a day. Whether this will help with sagging and loose skin or not, I am not sure. For the small amount of money and time invested, I am willing to give it a shot! I figure anything that doesn't hurt might help:smile2:

Here's something to ponder: **Pilates!**

2 months after I was banded I walked into a local pilates studio and pre-paid for 4 lessons per week for the next 6 months. (Jan- June 2008) It cost me an arm and leg -- literally! It is expensive, but worth it to me to tone my body into a long and lean ballerina figure. Everyone is shocked and amazed at my body now. I am not only thinner (due to band) but toned and strong (pilates). I also believed it has prevented me from eventually needing to seek out a plastic surgeon to deal with loose skin. Granted, I have lost 47 lbs so far and started out as a lower BMI (36.5) so that is a factor too, however I have been able to tone as I lose weight... not just melt like a candle.

I also believe that cardio makes me hungrier. Pre-banding I ran 3 marathons and just ate more after each 2+ hour training run, despite trying weight watchers simultaneously. I am done with cardio as I now see how well my body responds to pilates. Much more strong than cardio.

The biggest change with pilates is how much my core is strengthened, and thereby my *posture*. I look 10 lbs thinner just by standing up with a strong and lean posture. It's amazing.

Now, I attend a pilates studio which is about $30 for a small class session or $80 for a private trainer session. It's worth the expense to me, however it could be replaced by a dedicated user of Pilates DVDs and a Magic Circle DVD. Magic circle is versatile pilates prop.

Pilates DVD:

http://www.gaiam.com/category/<wbr>fitness-center/pilates-dance/<wbr>media-books.do?page=all&gcid=<wbr>S18376x028&keyword=pilates%<wbr>20dvd [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Pilates-Collection-Sculpting-Accelerated/dp/B000KCUBH0]http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-<wbr>Pilates-Collection-Sculpting-<wbr>Accelerated/dp/B000KCUBH0[/ame]

Magic Circle:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JWLZAI]http://www.amazon.com/gp/<wbr>product/B000JWLZAI[/ame]

My theory is that loose skin won't kill me but 100 pounds of fat will! So I'll go for the loose skin any day.

FYI- There is a bandster here who lost 200 pounds and did 200 crunches and 20 guy push ups every day during her entire weight loss and did not need plastic surgery. I think her name is Chris.

So I am walking and doing upper body weights too and think it may be helping. But I'm gonna lose the weight and then worry about skin.

I should be so lucky as to have lost 120 pounds and get to complain about my loose skin!:whatchutalkingabout

Sadie

Having loose skin after weight loss surgery is one of my biggerst concerns. I mean what's the point of losing weight if when you take your clothes off you look like bread dough.

I went on this site a while ago. Im not sure how helpful it will be but here's the link.

The Myth of Loose Skin

Alot of the people that get the band are to get healthy not become a super model. As much as I would love to be a super model with perfect skin and such... I won't be.

So the point of losing the weight is to get healthy, live longer, have more time with your family, enjoy life, I cant think of better reasons.

I have read different articles lately that say sometimes you don't have a choice but to get the skin removed because it causes health issues and yeast infections on the skin. You can end up with sores do to the over lapping skin also that are very painful.. I hope not to have any of those issues, but there is always the possibility. I will worry about getting healthy and losing the weight,, then deal with the reprocussions after if there are any..

isn't life grand??