Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes! We're a Forum!

Welcome!!! Congrats on being on the way to getting your band!

About learning notes and chords and such, I would say go to musicards.net

This is a collection of online flashcards, that work really well.

Welcome, Susan, and thank you, Marie for the suggestion. Susan, do you read music, or are you learning to play by ear, or both? I read braille music, but you can't read and play the piano at the same time, so I learn a lot of things, probably most, by ear, though it's good to have the music to refer to if I have a question about notes or rhythm. There isn't always a sighted musician around for me to ask--my friends are usually working, I work, and when we do get together, a lot of times I've forgotten what I wanted to know.

hey serenity, no i can't read or play be ear! but i started my lessons last monday night, and he is teaching us chords and umm oh what was it called.... uh - Oh progressions. what ever that is, i did learn there are stock progressions, that was interesting. so i have some practicing to do before next monday. i have to learn the - doe ray me fa so la ti doe - and the E major progression (i believe it was called) and 4 different chords. and i still need to learn how to tune my guitar. it will all come in time i guess!

i saw my surgeon yesterday - i'm down 2 more pounds - i swear i thought i gained 2 pounds. the cheating i was doing!

i have to call my insurance company to see if they will pay and have any dieticians around here. the surgeons dietician is 500 bucks. plus the psych evaluation is $150.00. so i'm going to try to get it done thru my insurance instead.

hope you all are doing well,

take care

susan

Susan, have fun with those lessons. I'm wondering if by progression your teacher means the sequence of chords that usually go together, like an e major to a major to b7, with maybe a 2 or 6 chord thrown in for good measure. (Haha!)

Good luck with all the pre op stuff. Are you hoping to find something cheaper, or will you pay for the dietician and the psych eval?

I may have to take another one, because the one I did was before I was switched to the medical group I have now, and it may not be enough to satisfy their requirements. But I went to my first support group meeting tonight, and I really liked it. The only drawback is that there seems to be more focus on gastric bypass. I still got a lot out of it, though, so it's all good.

Hi Debbie,

The dietician and psych eval i want to try to get my insurance to pay for it. The problem is a lot doctors don't take my hmo thru medicaid. But I did call the insurance co. last night and the guy said there are diet counselors that basically do the same as a dietician (i guess they are dieticians) that are in my local hospital that are on my insurance list of doctors. So I’m waiting for the dietician counselor to call me back. And he also gave me a number for mental health to see about getting the psych eval.

I understand my surgeon offering these services with colleagues of his. But I just can't afford it. I mean, if I qualify for Medicaid – that right there tells you – I have no money. nobody takes these hmo's thru medicaid anymore. or you have to travel far and wide to find someone who does. oh, i shouldn't complain - there are people on here going to other countries for all of this. i guess i'm spoiled coming from the los Angeles area, i never had trouble finding a doctor, dentist or even jobs. i live in a less populated area now that is basically a tourist area. its a big change.

Good luck, Susan. Let us know how things go. I live in the San Fernando valley, and I fought for six months with the medical group I was with. Only after I got switched did things begin to happen. I hope things happen for you, too.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

You're so right, music does keep us sane.

I'm new here started my journey back in April 2008 need to drop over 100 lbs. In Dec my paper work will be submitted to ins. I so badly want this surgery.

I just hope I'm not turned down.

Music is a spiritual thing to me, I believe all music is a form of worship and that everyone has a song in them to bless another.

As far as gigs I play four to six times a year and get paid for it. I also volunteer to play at senior centers, CBRF's and nursing homes often. I work in mental health and play weekly there too.

Blessings

bearbelly

weight.png

Hi Bearbelly, and welcome!

First let me congratulate you on getting this far in the lap band process. I just had my psychological evaluation yesterday, but have been dealing with insurance issues since March. I was switched to another medical group and things seem to be going much better now, thank goodness!

The first time I had any idea that music could touch another person, and that I could do that, was when I played Debussy's Reverie for a friend of mine, and she told me her eyes were wet. I was in college then, but people have told me since that time that when I play it touches them. I used to be too critical of myself to let what they were saying in, but now it kind of fills me with wonder that I could do that. All this to say that, yes, music can really be a spiritual thing for the listener and the performer.

Sorry to go on so long. How has your experience been so far with the process of lap band?

What instrument do you play?

It might be interesting to start a thread on how music has affected us as performers as well as the people we play for, or teach.

Again, welcome!

Debbie