Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Can't I???

Guest Leslie2Lose

Guest Leslie2Lose

I've been so upset since last night. I guess I need to vent...

I've started the Couch to 5 K Challenge. At first I thought to myself I'd lost it. Me Run? The only thing that made me run in my life up until this point is if something was chasing me. But, I was looking for a challenge and found out that it is something I actually enjoy. It's crazy!

Anyway - I'm on week one of the program and I was talking to someone that I work with that actually participates in 5ks and marathons. He asked what 5k I'm going to do. I just looked at him. He told me I needed an actual goal - an actual 5k to race in. I thought about it and decided he was right. What's the point in training for something I'm never going to do. He had a flyer about a 5k in November that is put on by the YMCA. Perfect!

I talked it over with my workout partner (also banded) and even e-mailed another bandster-friend (Hi Georgia!) that are also doing the C25K to see if they wanted to participate. They thought it was a good idea too. So last night I mentioned the YMCA's 5k to DH and told him I was entering. He laughed at me! :thumbup: Laughed! He told me I couldn't do that. There's no way I could finish.

I lost it! How dare he think I can't do it!! I've had his support - or thought I did up until this point. No - I couldn't jog a 5k today. I'd pass out or hurt myself trying. In four months I think it's doable. It really hurt me, not having his support. The laughter pissed me off most of all.

I may sound childish saying this, but I'm going to show him! The best way to motivate me is to tell me I can't do something. I love him, I really do - but he can be such an a$$ when he's not thinking!!

Thanks for listening to me. I've already PM'd GA, but Oooohh it got under my skin so bad I had to vent a little more.

Husbands can be so insensitive sometimes! You need to tell him. Unfortunately DH wouldn't laugh but would ask me if I wanted the ambulance with me just in case! Or he could follow me in the engine! (He's a fire captain.) And he is right, right now, no way could I do that! BUT you have a goal, it's attainable and you are now REALLY motivated (not that you weren't before but more so now!). Chalk it up to the fact that he opened his mouth and Stupid came out and then make him eat his words in November!

Of course, now that you shared, you have to keep us up to date on how it's going and let us know what happens at the 5k in November!! :thumbup:

Take care and definitely talk to him once you've calmed down a little.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Thanks Heartfire!

Oh believe me I did tell him! Of course he started back peddling real quick. I was just in shock and couldn't believe - as you put it STUPID - came out of his mouth. He couldn't believe that I got mad over him saying that.

((HUGS)) Les!

I know I've already talked to you about this a little through PM, but he obviously didn't think before speaking (or laughing in this case). I told my DH about us doing the 5k and he didn't say anything negative......BUT, a couple of weeks ago when I told him I was going to start the couch to 5k, he had the most puzzled look on his face. I could tell he was shocked.

I think what helped the most was the fact that he has seen me jogging and he has seen the progress I have made in just 2 weeks. He probably thought I would give up on it but I think we are both shocked at the fact that actually love running (or jogging rather).

Believe me, my DH says stupid stuff all the time....and not just to me! Sometimes I just cringe when he is talking to people, lol. He doesn't make a point to think things through first, lol.

Hey, something good did come out of it.....you are more motivated now than ever!! He can eat your dust when we are running that 5k, lol!!

L2L:

Men suck! Wow! I can't believe he did that to you! But as GA said...you're motivated now, so show him just what you can do! I think you'll do awesome!

Woo Hoo! Keep up the good work!

~Carol

L2L just kick him in his knee caps, you will feel better.

Seriously, I am the same way, tell me I can't do something and it will be done. But my DH knows better then to tell me "I can't' do something. He knows he will get an ear full then a swift kick in the arse (metaphorically speaking of course, maybe) then I will just go and prove him wrong.

Use that anger to your advantage------when you are running, and hit that point, that you need to quit---imagine the shock on his face, as well as the pride (cuz you know he really does love you and support you) as you cross the finish line of that 5K!!!

Many (18) years ago, the ONLY thing that got me through quitting smoking was my ex husband telling my DD that I would never be able to quit, I was addicted!!! To this day, only one of us pays $4.00 a pack----and it is NOT me!!!!

USE IT to your advantage!!! AND let him do his best to make it up to you for laughing!!

Good Luck and congrats on running!!!!

Kat

Leslie!!

Wow… sometimes the hubby does speak without thinking! Been there, done that, many more times than I care to remember.

I agree with all before who said, just use that as the tool to get you over that finish line in the end. No doubt your honey will be so proud of you, and yet you will still be able to rub it in to him too. You can say, I did it, and don’t you ever doubt me again!

That’s right too that, you opened this door and now you have to let us all in and take a front row seat. We’re gonna watch the progress and the outcome.

You can do it!!!!!

My bf is a long distance runner. He is 56. If he can do it, you can too!

He ran a marathon. He started running again 4 years ago after not running since h.s. You are only in your 30's so tell DH to go fly a kite.

I wish I could run. I am not supposed to. I jog a little bit on the treadmill and I love it. Unfortunately , I have a screwed up spine and running is bad for it. I do it anyway, and sometimes I pay for it later in the evening when my spine is really hurting.

gah! some men need to take lessons in how to respond to their wife!!

one question i do have - when is the 5K? is it really obtainable for you? i remember when i did the C25K program, i had to repeat weeks. is there a buffer zone in there for you?

if you think you can do C25K, you can... some weeks really arent easy, but they are obtainable.

best of luck to you and i look forward to reading your successful race report of your 5K!

Well, we know who's not going to be getting any for a few weeks, dont we? I second kneecapping him.

Firstly, I did a 10K fun run yesterday and finally cracked an hour for 10K. I cannot believe that it is ME doing that! If I can do it anyone can.

But when you enter your race, have a good look around you. YOu see all sizes and shapes of people and ALL ages. There's always 70 year old women, who beat me by the way! There is absolutely NO reason why you cant do it with training and whatever weight you happen to be now is actually irrelevant.

Running is all about consistency. That's all it takes. If you train, you will do it. I was blown away when I went to the gold coast recently for a race, with my sister's running group. I havent done a half yet, I keep chickening out, afraid of injury etc. Two ladies of 72 and 75 did the half in the group! And did really decent times too.

Anyone can run if they train.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Thanks everybody for all of your support!!! I wanted to kick him in the knees and the balls I was so mad. I'm better now. I think he realises this is something I really want - not just a whim. I appreciate all of you - you are my support when DH turns into an ass. Thank goodness it's only occassionally! LOL

The 5K is in November - so I think I have plenty of time. I'm thinking of repeating week one this coming week. I don't want to push too soon...I'm seeing how my body responds.

I actually think I've turned him around. He used to run a lot (ex-military, i.e. was forced to). He mentioned today on the way home from the beach he wants to start running with me and actually start going to the gym. I just sat there with my mouth hanging open...I had no response. After I got my thoughts together I told him I thought that was a great idea.

YOU are going to rock it!

WooHoo!!