Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You can find it at the a beauty supply store (one that caters to umm..women of color-see why this forum exists? lol) Or an African vendor. The raw butter has a very nutty smell it is thick and yellow. Sometimes a vendor will sell it mixed with an oil to scent it but the unscented is ok. I just put on a scented lotion afterwards. Hope this link help!:):thumbup:

Buy Bulk Wholesale 100% Pure and Unrefined African Shea Butter: The African Store.

We have a new beauty supply store just up the street from me, so I will check there. If they don't have it, I will use your link. Thanks.

Through this band removal process, my mother had me using a heating pad following my an ice pack :eek:and Mederma on my new incisions. I can tell you that I see a world of difference :thumbup:between the new and old scars and the feel of the old scars. Specifically, the old scar (port placement scar) was the thickest, even after the removal, it is not as thick anymore, just darkest. The new scars are no longer thick, nor are any of them dark. :mellow: If I so choose, I should be able to easily wear a 2 piece and not look bullet ridden!:thumbup:

Best regards!

Hope this information can help, as it is a relevant woman of color issue!

I had wondered about Mederma. It just costs so much for such a small tube. I am going to go ahead and buy the shea butter and Mederma and hope for the best.

and this post couln't have been spoken about on any other site that wasn't entitled'women of color'? I thought white was a color?

It is more of a woman of color issue, as stated earlier so this would be the best place to view it. Although there are many other groups that keloid, it is generally an African American trait. Sometimes it is frustrating trying to put in keywords in the sites search engine in order to find the information that you want. Because of this, once again, it is easier to find things with a common thread in one place, once again, the whole purpose of sub forums. And yes white is a color, so welcome, since you have obviously subscribed. My only suggestions is to use the Serenity Prayer the way that I do. Many people think and focus of the change part (accept the things I cannot change, change the things I can) however, for me this is not the important part. Because we spend so much time thinking about change, by the time we realize it is either something we can change or not change, we have wasted valuable time and effort. To me, this most important part of the Serenity Prayer is "and the wisdom to know the difference". If you have the wisdom to know the difference from the offset, lots of time would be saved. All of that to say, if you are going to post, bring something different and stop complaining about something that is not going to change. This is a forum that not only has members, but members who feel it is necessary, despite your disapproval. Please, and I say this in the kindest way possible without malice or discontent, have the wisdom to know the difference. Once again, welcome to the WOC forum Patty. :sad_smile:

On the subject of scarring and keloids...

I saw a recommendation for Kelo-Cote scar gel for keloids. I found it on EBay for a very reasonable price and tried it. Now, I'm not the best at putting it on morning and night as they suggest, but I am definately noticing a change in the keloids I have from my abdominal surgery over a year ago. The smallest one at the top (looks like it was right where a staple broke the skin) is softer now, and the larger scar (runs about 3 - 4 inches, top to bottom down the middle of my tummy right below my belly button) is a little softer. I've been using the gel about a month...and as I said, I've not been as regular as I should.

I do recommend it - so far, I'm seeing results and I have hope, which I didn't have BEFORE finding the gel.

I too, love the Serenity Prayer, saninbham - my dear mother introduced me to it, and I need it every single day.

Thanks a bunch for having this forum where I can get my questions answered by women like me and pass along helpful tips for women like me!:eek:

and this post couln't have been spoken about on any other site that wasn't entitled'women of color'? I thought white was a color?

I think we should all get back to what we are her for and stop giving this person attention. Somewhere a village is missing an idiot.:eek: (Sorry, I tried ration)

april apple thanks for the link. I'm definatley am going to try the Shea butter. I've been told that you have to find a product where the Shea is at least listed as the first 4 ingredients, or it's not as effective. And many of the prodcuts that I have seen at the local places, contain all types of chemicals.

I also have an appt w/ my surgeon to see if it is necessary to have it cauterized. I've had this scar for a year, so I know I'm past the ovet the counter stage right now.

Edited by theninside
typo

Hi ladies, hope you don't mind my stopping in. I searched keloids and found this thread. I have a major problem with keloiding. All my surgery scars keloided. However, I am two years out. Do you think the shea butter or mederma would help reduce them any this far out?

I also had breast reduction surgery years ago, and the incisions on the sides of my breast keloided pretty bad as well. I have always been bothered by them and would love to be able to find a way to make them less noticeable.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

One of the reasons I love this forum is because I can get information from those who have gone before me, and if I have a problem as a black woman I can ask questions and get answers from someone who understands. I had scars from my hysterectomy but they've pretty much disappeared; still it's nice to know that if I need something to help with the scars from my banding, there's something I can use. Thank you all.

It is nice to have a place to go where people like me get it. I'm blind, and once in a while I need to get away from the sighted people in my life! :-) lol

Hi ladies, hope you don't mind my stopping in. I searched keloids and found this thread. I have a major problem with keloiding. All my surgery scars keloided. However, I am two years out. Do you think the shea butter or mederma would help reduce them any this far out?

I also had breast reduction surgery years ago, and the incisions on the sides of my breast keloided pretty bad as well. I have always been bothered by them and would love to be able to find a way to make them less noticeable.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Hey Susan, I haven't tried either one, but I have heard that the Merderma does help with old scars. I just bought myself some, so I will let you know how it goes.

Hi ladies,I am new to the site. I was banded on Oct 20,2008.I am in the full liquid(thick) liquid phase and I think it's worst in some ways than the Clear Liquids. i must admit I have done very well with meeting my Fluid and Protein intake. I was determined to do this even before surgery. I am very proud of myself because my family have cooked and eaten all the foods i like and it was a little hard not eating any. I've done a lot of praying for strength. I can't wait to get to real food so I can be able to sit with my family,eat a little food but feel full and satisfied. I have lost 11 pounds already and I am so excited. To be able to see the wt loss keeps me encouraged and determined. I am restricted to only walking for exercise right now,but I am going to join the YMCA in a couple of weeks. Hope that I can beof help to someone and we can encourage each other through this journey.:rolleyes2:

Dianne

Hi Dianne

I was banded on Oct 29, and am on Clear liquids. I am finding it very hard to get the amount of fluids And Protein needed. I know I need to try harder, but since I am not feeling hungry or real thristy I forget. How do you you do it?

Anne

Hi Anne,

I found some whey Protein Powder at Walmart that is pretty good. You can mix it with Water or milk and it gives you 50gms of protein!!!. I also ordered some Unjury Protein packets (unflavored) and it mixes well with any liquids and each packet is 20gms. You can check out their wesite at Unjury.com and they send it to you quickly. I also drink K20 water by kelloggs. Also walmart and GNC have what people call protein bullets. They are small containers of protein in amounts from 27-45 gms. Some people just drink them but I mixed them in water or someother drink. They are sweet. As for Fluid intake,I basically have something sitting by me and sip all day. And I mean it took all day in the beginning. Hope this was helpful and good luck.

Dianne

Edited by dmbrn