Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting off birth control for surgery???

I went for my consultation today and the doctor told me I had to get off of birth control for a month before and a month after the surgery. Can anyone explain to me why this is ABSOLUTELY necessary and if anyone was told differnet???

If you are on a combined oral contraceptive pill maybe your doctor is concerned about risk for blood clots post operatively. Thats the only reason I can think of.

My endocrinologist also told me this, it's just to make everything regular before surgery and also being on the birth control pill increases your chance of blood clots, at first when she told me I was kind of annoyed - I've been skipping for as long as I can remember which I know isn't healthy but I figure it's one thing I won't have to worry about, now I don't mind that I'm going to have to go off it for a month before, she never said a month after so I assume it's ok after surgery but I know I"ll be taking the pill to skip like 2 days before surgery because I don't wanna be on the table and have something happen if you know what I mean (I'm paranoid like that lol)

Its just kind of frustrating because I've only been on Nuva Ring for a few months to regulate my periods b/c of PCOS and now I finally have regular periods instead of skipping for 6 months at a time and now I'll have to get off of it for 2 months and it'll completely mess it all up. I mean of course I'll do it to lessen my chances of getting blood clots and all.. but I wonder if there may be a different type of birth control that I could be on just for that time that wouldn't be a problem..

You should talk to your doctor about it. It may be the type of birth control, and not necessarily birth control itself. I'm on the pill and I didn't have to change anything. But it's always best to talk it out with your doctor.

I am on LoEstrin Fe birth control pill and was told that I have to stop taking them 6 wks prior to surgery!!

I always thought it was the risk of blood clots too - I remember having to come off the pill to have my wisdom teeth out when I was about 20 so its not something new.

I was told by my doctor that I had to get off my birth control a month before and two months after! I was worried about this for many reasons (getting pregnant or having my body be thrown out of whack) but was told by my surgeon that it would be ok if I stayed on because I was at a low risk for blood clots. Well, my other doctor came and saw me in the hospital and reamed me out. She made me stop taking them that day and told me not to take them again for two months. But when I saw her a month later she told me I could continue with my pills. I too have PCOS so I know what's it like to be told you have to stop taking the one thing that has your body functioning the way it should. But remember it's only for a short time and before you know it everything will be back to normal! So hang in there, it won't be that bad I promise! Good luck!