Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck and can't lose weight!

I had lap band at the end of November 2007. I did really well at first and I've lost 40 pounds. And I've gained and lost the same five pounds now since March. I can't get past this plateau. What am I missing? Suggestions?:confused2:

Can you tell us honestly about your eating habits? Are you drinking with meals? Are you on some sort of exercise plan?

Yes, we can't offer any suggestions until you tell us what kind of foods you are eating, if you're counting calories, and if you're exercising. These are all key to losing weight.

If you've been at the same place since March, perhaps you need a fill. Just a suggestion.

In about March I had to really ramp up my exercise routine. If I hadn't I would still be where I was then. I also had to really get on track with tracking my food. I thought I was being really good. I was eating good for me but I had no idea how many calories I was consuming a day. I still have trouble judging. I've been stuck for about 3 weeks but I know I quit tracking and that's my fault.

Take a good look at your routine. You may have gotten into a rut and your body has gotten used to what you have been doing to it and it's just maintaining....

On the plus side my NUT said that plateaus are a good thing because you are resetting your bodies "set point" where it used to be way up there, you're lowering it...so a few plateaus can be a positive thing.

If you tell us more about what you are eating, how you are moving, what you are doing with liquids, maybe we can be more specific.

I had lap band at the end of November 2007. I did really well at first and I've lost 40 pounds. And I've gained and lost the same five pounds now since March. I can't get past this plateau. What am I missing? Suggestions?:confused2:

What is your eating and your workouts like...

I can honestly say my diet isn't perfect, but it hasn't changed a whole lot either. Generally, I'll have coffee, then later a granola bar for Breakfast. Usually another bar for lunch and then Cereal for dinner. Other than a day or two a week when I vary from that schedule (and eat ice cream), that's usually the food I eat.

Exercise isn't as good as it used to be but it's getting better.

I think frustration stems largely from the fact that my diet and exercise did not change from February to March and since then. I've had three fills since then as well.

I generally eat about 1200 calories a day. I'm willing to listen to what anyone suggests. Perhaps my body is just used to what I'm eating or something.

Any help would be much appreciated!

From what you wrote it doesn't sound like you would be eating a nutritionally balanced diet. also 1200 calories seems high from 2 granola bars and a bowl of Cereal (though I could have my calculations wrong as I am an Aussie). Have you talked with your doctor, maybe they will have some suggestions. when I plateau (which is often) I tend to have to shock my body by changing my eating habits (eating more or less) and changing my exercise.

Good luck with everything.

I can honestly say my diet isn't perfect, but it hasn't changed a whole lot either. Generally, I'll have coffee, then later a granola bar for Breakfast. Usually another bar for lunch and then cereal for dinner. Other than a day or two a week when I vary from that schedule (and eat ice cream), that's usually the food I eat.

Exercise isn't as good as it used to be but it's getting better.

I think frustration stems largely from the fact that my diet and exercise did not change from February to March and since then. I've had three fills since then as well.

I generally eat about 1200 calories a day. I'm willing to listen to what anyone suggests. Perhaps my body is just used to what I'm eating or something.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Well I would definately suggest dropping the granola bars and get this kind of granola it is called barly naked and it is all natural.. they have some with cranberrys, some with bananna chips, peanuts, and so on.. it is really good and it comes in a bag so u can put some in a zip bag and just take it with u... U know nuts have the good fats to help u to loose weight... another thing i would recomend is that u eat more protien and less carbs...not saying to stop eating carbs but like for lunch have a cut up chicken breast and cut some cheddar cheese on top of it or what ever type of cheese u like... for lunch and for dinner eat the same or some type of meat and prehaps some green veggie w/cheese as well.. and every other day eat 1/2 or 1/4 cup of rice/patato with your meal and cut bread out all together... drink pleanty of Fluid flavor it with the crystal lite/whylers lite, or even the sugar free hawiann punch drink about 80 oz of Water at least... eat a small meal every other hour and the hour u dont eat within that hour drink at least 20oz of Water then wait another hour and eat and continue that... Now if u are not working out u need to cut out 200-400 calories out of your daily intake because u are not burning enough off to eat 1200 calories a day... but if u start walking at least 30-minutes a day then the 1200 calories is fine... but if u cut your calories for 1-week about 400 calories then the next week kick it back up u will notice u will start loosing weight again....It seems like your body is use to getting the same thing and u need to shock it and it will suprise u....

what I am not hearing is, how do you get your Protein? If you lose muscle then losing weight can get very hard.So I say make sure you are getting your protein and drink alot of water.Next change up your diet maybe 1000 calories a few days then 1200 that way your body don't have time to adjust your metabo to less calories.

My dr. suggests 75% protein-meat, string cheese, scrambled eggs, etc,

25 % fruits and veggies. That does not include cereal, and it could include one high Protein Bar. I exercise 6 days a week, using the elliptical machine, the stair master or the treadmill, as well as weight training. That is what has worked for me to lose 90 lbs.

My dr. suggests 75% protein-meat, string cheese, scrambled eggs, etc,

25 % fruits and veggies. That does not include cereal, and it could include one high Protein bar. I exercise 6 days a week, using the elliptical machine, the stair master or the treadmill, as well as weight training. That is what has worked for me to lose 90 lbs.

U go girlll thats what im talking about.... This week i am going to be brave and get on the stair master... i hope i dont fall out....lol... but i can do an hour on the elliptical with no prob... the treadmill not a prob. there... the stair master...hmmmmm we will c....

Hi all.....It's been quite a while since I've posted. I was hoping to find a lapband buddy. :lol:I had my surgery in August of 07, since then I have lost about 47-50 pounds. :angry_smile:I have been stuck since May of 08....would like to lose at least another 25-30 pounds and I think that this may help me.

Thanks bunches!!!!:cursing:

Help my feelings please!!!

I had lap band 7/3 and lost 16 #'s right off. For 2 days now I haven't lost a thing and I woke up this morning & have gained 1 pound. I want to cry. I'm trying not to get discouraged. Is this normal? I am still only getting about 600 ca daily. Should I now be exercising a lot? My doctor did not tell me when I could start exercising for I know this would help. I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if anyone else has had this to happen.

:tongue_smilie::tt1::scared2::eek::scared2::wink2::scared2::wub: