Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 get Lapband or any WLS...?

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.

• Yes, they have the right to if they want it.
    • No, it's a waste of money and not worth it.
    • I don't know and I don't care.
    • No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!

At 220 I felt like the fattest person around, but told myself I would never have surgery.

At 280 I WAS the fattest person around, thought about surgery, but told myself I could do it on my own.

At 330 I wanted the surgery, but my PCP told me to just exercise.

At 380 I started having heart palpitations and thought I would suffer a heart attack in the next 5 years if I didn't have the surgery.

Surgery to me is the VERY last option, I mean, beyond dieting, beyond going to a fat camp (which, btw is much cheaper), beyond hypnosis, counseling, etc... I mean, I tried EVERYTHING.

I see some people who are at 200 and they get WLS and sure, I think they took the easy way out without trying anything. I wouldn't have ever had surgery at that weight. People have the right to do what they want, I don't disagree. I DO disagree, however, with surgeon's not fully enforcing other completely viable and less invasive options before surgery... instead, they're out to make a buck and are treating it like plastic surgery.

As far as calling WLS the easy way out.... I agree it's not EASY, it's not just like magic... but comparatively to the options, it is easier, you can't disagree with that... that's why we all got it. We needed something to make the will power, the desire, everything, easier.

I think a lot of it has to do with social surroundings as well. My family, although all big, were not very in favor of the surgery until I got it. Not having any interaction with many who had had the surgery probably formed their opinions as something unknown.

Actually, be honest, Froggie. You did say it in a chat room to me and others, so just be accountable for that. Owning things one creates is a great lesson to learn. :biggrin2: Take it from this old bat that has 20 years on you. I wish I had learned it in my early 20's.

Is that really necessary? Its exactly this kind of passive aggressive nonsense that riled me so much that I was moved to start another thread retaliating and look where THAT ended up.

I was wrong to start that thread but there is NOTHING more anoying than someone using that sweet tone with you whilst throwing down the gauntlet in a veiled way, particularly when they're trying to show you up in public.

Anyway, so what? She may have said it, thought about it and then wanted to explore it further in order to understand it better. I dont see that she has to be accountable for anything. But thanks for calling it all to our attention.

Do we really have to only stick to a list of politically correct topics around here in order to avoid argument? Can we really not accept that some people have opinions and they may not even be particularly nice ones, we can argue about them, debate them, even get hot under the collar. But must we continue to do this I'm smiling while I sink the knife stuff? THAT's what makes it get personal, not disagreement in general.

There was no reason to say that other than to try to embarrass the OP.

Edited by Jachut

Fooey!!! I had a long post written out and my screen refreshed on me while I was hitting backspace and DARN IT, FOOEY...FOOEY!!!!

My long post, now cut short:

Mrs. FlipFlops - would you do it at 220 now if you could go back, knowing now what you know about the band?

I know I would! I waited because my ex didn't want me to do it, and I conceded.

Now, 6 years later, I'm just beginning my journey to normal.

Is that really necessary? Its exactly this kind of passive aggressive nonsense that riled me so much that I was moved to start another thread retaliating and look where THAT ended up.

I was wrong to start that thread but there is NOTHING more anoying than someone using that sweet tone with you whilst throwing down the gauntlet in a veiled way, particularly when they're trying to show you up in public.

Anyway, so what? She may have said it, thought about it and then wanted to explore it further in order to understand it better. I dont see that she has to be accountable for anything. But thanks for calling it all to our attention.

Do we really have to only stick to a list of politically correct topics around here in order to avoid argument? Can we really not accept that some people have opinions and they may not even be particularly nice ones, we can argue about them, debate them, even get hot under the collar. But must we continue to do this I'm smiling while I sink the knife stuff? THAT's what makes it get personal, not disagreement in general.

I love your way with words Jacqui, you're incredible. I'm glad someone else agrees that we should be allowed to have opinions, that's what this poll/thread was about. Not downgrading people.

im healthy but over 400 lbs and my insurance is being butts about it.

Sorry you are having insurance issues, Froggi, but hang in there! Things always have a way of working out. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

I see some people who are at 200 and they get WLS and sure, I think they took the easy way out without trying anything. I wouldn't have ever had surgery at that weight. People have the right to do what they want, I don't disagree. I DO disagree, however, with surgeon's not fully enforcing other completely viable and less invasive options before surgery... instead, they're out to make a buck and are treating it like plastic surgery.

This is an interesting point to ponder.

firstly, I'd tried all those things at a BMI of 35. I must have done weight watchers 20 times in my life, I've been on Lite n Easy at least 10, done Jenny Craig, even did Gloria Marshall back in the 80's. Have had countless gym memberships and I think I've started a new diet every single Monday of my entire life. I've tried hypnosis, bought things to sniff off the internet, done it all. I just didnt happen to make it to 300lb before my patience ran out.

But its the plastic surgery thing I'd like to examine. I find this one fascinating. So what if people treat it like plastic surgery? A lapband surgery is a hell of a lot less complicated and dangerous than a Tummy Tuck. Why do we accept people sticking bags of silicone in their chest but think that to have a lapband when you're merely overweight, not unhealthy is way too extreme. What is the difference?

How is installing a device and vowing to eat healthy and exercise for the rest of your life "extreme" or "inappropriate" just becuase you've a BMI of 35 but deciding to have lip and breast augmentation is OK? Especially when the lapband also solves a potential health problem at the while and prevents greater obesity in the future

Why is it wrong to think about the lapband in a cosmetic surgery light?

I actually feel the opposite way round on this one. I was quite comfortable that my decision to have lapband surgery was at least 50% cosmetic because I wanted to look better due to the fact that it was a relatively easy, quick to recover from surgery that would also improve my health greatly and prevent future problems. I've talked about PS, thought about it a bit but the truth is I probably wont do it because I feel that that is a surgery based ONLY on vanity (in my case) and I really cant justify shunting family funds towards it when I only have a little bit of an easily hidden problem. Nor would I undertake the risk of surgery for the size problem I have. To me, in my situation, PS would be a far more gratuitous, unecessary and irresponsible surgery than the lapband was.

I know it may be wrong of me but this is the R&R board. I have been hearing more and more stories of people just barely over 200 or under 200 getting lapband...do you think this is normal or needed etc. Let me know YOUR opinion.

The results are private in the poll...feel free to be truthful.

Voicing your opinion is allowed too.

And I am talking people completely healthy and average height or more.

My bad - I thought you were talking about pple who had either 200+ lbs to lose vs those who had 200- to lose - heck just got back from vegas tired - and by reading the last few post this has gotten quite heated discussion...

I guess I need to slow down - yep I do know a girl who went to Mexico - has 30 lbs to lose - got the surgery and hasn't really lost cuz she drinks - no she didn't need it - but she had the $$$ and it's hers to waste anyway she wants. I don't care...

It was smart of you to put this in the rant's and rave section cuz I find it sort of prejudicial - I know pple who have lost 250 lbs with the help of their tool the band - and no I didn't need to lose 200 lbs to get to a healthy weight - so do I take it that you think pple who have 175 - 150 - 125 - 100 or even 75 lbs don't deserve the band - I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread - but do find a little reverse prejudiced in title of this tread

It is all relative imho - 100 lbs for me maybe your 200 lbs - who is anyone here to judge or decide anothers future based on a stupid # of pounds that need to be lost - if you weigh 500 lbs and lose 200 - you are still most likely morbidly obese by anyones standards - but you are doing better at 300 than 500.

Each and everyone of us is different - and will decide what's best for us

For me it's to get to a healthy weight for my age, height - stature etc - to be more active - to get off my blood pressure meds - cpap machine and being able to move - walk - live period to have a quality of life that I didn't have 100 lbs ago..

Fat is fat no matter if it's 100, 200 , 300 etc - who is to say who deserves the surgery and doesn't -

Obesity Understand, Awareness & sensitivity training is needed and this rant - rave is a good example of why it's needed

Edited by IndioGirl55
miss read title of thread...

At 180 pounds, it was obvious to me that I had a problem with weight and food. If I had know about the lapband then, you can most certainly bet that I would have done everything in my power to get it done then. Why wait until one has gained so much weight that they begin having health problems to be able to get banded?

With that being said, I would like to remind everyone that just because this is R&R, that does not mean we can ignore the rule of attack the idea and not the person. Too many threads have been going that route lately. I have seen it done a couple of times in this thread. Please remain on topic and attack the idea, not the person.

I think the OP is probably a bit stressed at the fact that she's still a bit in limbo about her insurance coverage of the surgery and seeing so many others who are getting approved or having the money to self pay and being at a weight to start at, for example 200 lbs or less, probably may seem a bit unfair to her or even crazy.

Ok, let's clear up another POSSIBLE misconception. Just because some people are self-pay, that does not mean they have "the money to self pay". Most have gotten loans or financed the operation. We didn't just whip out money laden wallets. It means that they, like me, wanted help but didn't qualify for one reason or another...or their insurance policy excludes WLS.

The point is, fat is fat regardless of the amount. If you are fat, you are unhealthy. You are stressing your organs and shortening you life span. Why should I or anyone be denied the surgery just because we don't weight 300 or 400 pounds? We are still unhealthy if our BMI is above 30. I have tried every diet in the book with no success. My weight has been an issue for 15+ years. I even worked out with a personal trainer for a year and a half and lost nothing in pounds...though I had gone down one dress size!

I am short at 5'1" and though I "only" have 72 pounds to lose, I wear a size 18/20. Sorry, but that is quite a large size on a short person with a small frame. This is my choice, my money, my life so why does it matter that I, or others who are less than 200 pounds, want this surgery? Why are we not worthy of this surgery? Why is our need for health and happiness any less than that of others?

Calm down, I never said self pay was easy! Sometimes it's a struggle to pay the co-pays and I never would have paid out of pocket personally, I have enough worries with putting 2 girls through college! That's your choice! Nanook.:)

I love your way with words Jacqui, you're incredible. I'm glad someone else agrees that we should be allowed to have opinions, that's what this poll/thread was about. Not downgrading people.

This is really getting out of hand. The bottom line is though that truth is truth and it bothers me when people try and back peddal. It is a lot more respectable to just own things in my opinion...and that is all it is, an opinion. There are multiple people that have posted on here saying they have heard it directly from the OP in chat conversations that she has a definite side in this debate. The point to my earlier post was that she tried to say she didn't have an opinion one way or another. THAT was what I took issue with and I mistakenly called her on it.

You actually made my current point in your comment above. If one is going to throw down the gauntlet then be prepared to back it up. While this poll was a more passive aggressive way of throwing it down it was most definitely thrown earlier this weekend in a chat room.

That said, you are right. It was not nice of me to do it in a public forum, I will give you that. I should have taken it off line. I am sorry about that part of it Froggie. I should not have publicly embarrassed you. Once again, that was wrong. I am accountable for it and once again, I apologize.

Kristin

P.S. As far as your retaliation thread goes, I have not seen it so I guess I should consider myself blessed, eh? :)

what retaliation thread.

what retaliation thread.

Not yours...Jacqui's. I didn't see it. Listen, truce. I really am sorry it got this heated. Please forgive me.

Indigo I never said people not my size shouldn't be able to have surgery.

I said and I don't know how many times I have to repeat this...I dont understand why they do...and people answered that of course.

I am not against it, my mother is. My mother gave me the idea for this thread/poll.

If someone feels they have to get surgery to help control weight...so be it. Like I said I just don't understand it.

I am over 400 lbs 406 to be exact and I started at 419...on this 6 month diet etc. I have had people tell me at 420 lbs that I should just diet and exercise and why are you getting surgery.

So I am not judging anyone about their decisions...all I simply have said the wholeeeeeeeee time is WHY. I never said they shouldn't.

So I really don't understand why I am being attacked(least seems like it).

I posted this for opinions as to WHY people do it.

Not yours...Jacqui's. I didn't see it. Listen, truce. I really am sorry it got this heated. Please forgive me.

I never was mad at you hun or did I mean to sound like I was judging, I was just trying to figure out in my mind why you would have surgery. And now I know why. I never wanted to cause so much grief, I just wanted to know why the lower BMI's felt the need to have surgery. Sorry.