Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 get Lapband or any WLS...?

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.

• Yes, they have the right to if they want it.
    • No, it's a waste of money and not worth it.
    • I don't know and I don't care.
    • No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!

This is not an offensive poll. It is just asking your opinion.

. I am sure you can find a doctor to take your money and do the surgery when you do not meet the BMI standard.

I'm not offended. You'd be surprised though. At a BMI of 30, no co-morbidities and a clearly spelled out exception for WLS on my insurance policy, 3 of 4 surgeons accepted me as soon as they knew I was self pay.

Interestingly, it was Dr Kuri in TJ who wouldn't band me.

That was my thinking too. Its the maintenance stage that I think my band for.

On the 60 minutes program that I mentioned above, they spoke to a weight watchers leader, a lady who'd lost like 100lb and kept it off. She was mouthing off about how WLS is too extreme and you just need to eat less and move more. Its exactly the advice I always give on here, only difference here everyone has a lapband to help them. Statistically it is PROVEN that WW, Jenny Craig, none of it works if you've more than 50lb to lose, its only about 1% of people who actually lose weight and keep it off. It is a senseless, endless losing battle, you wont win it. Everyone can eat less and move more for long enough to lose some weight, hardly anyone can keep it going long enough to maintain that loss.

I didn't see the 60 minutes episode when it was on Jacqui, but I just looked it up and watched it now. Very interesting!

If any one else is interested go to Sixty Minutes - Home and click on the Medical Marvel video. It goes for about 12 and a half minutes (beware of those wonderful Aussie accents :thumbs_up:)

Froggi- I am soo glad that you posted this poll. I have a BMI of 36 and have made the decision to be banded. As of late however I have been doubting myself. Asking if I REALLY need this. After reading this thread tonight and seeing how people have been in my shoes I DO need this. I can really relate to Jachut when she says she had no energy, she felt lethargic, and truely uncomfortable in herself. I have always yo-yo'd, since I can remember I have been a little overweight. The last time I lost almost 80lbs in a totally unhealthy way, I starved myself. I know that I could lose it again but I don't want to live like that and I shouldn't have to just because I don't have a higher BMI. I also know that I would gain it back :thumbs_up:. I don't want to do this for the rest of my life, I am too young and I have young children to take care of. I too deserve a healthy fulfilling life. I hate the way I feel and it effects everyone in my life...unfortunalely. I have been reluctant to lose the weight this time in fear of letting myself down when I gain it back.

Long story short... Thank you all so very much for your words. It has truly helped me in this time of doubt. Maybe this is a normal feeling before hand?

Cheers, Jill

We all know the complications of being "overweight". If you have an elevated BMI, why shouldn't you be able to have weight loss surgery? Hopefully we can lose the weight before the effects of obesity permanently damages our bodies. :thumbs_up:

I can honestly tell you that WLS cured my mom's diabetes.

It's true that all of those diet programs are nonsense. I should know, I think I tried them all and seriously consider them part of the reason I made it to 300 pounds. They teach the pattern of yo-yo dieting that gets us to this point. If I find that I've gained 10 pounds over the holidays, maybe I'd consider weight watchers to get the weight off. But as for a whole life change, they just don't cut it.

I think it's great for people to be able to get the surgery before following the "path of destruction" that many of us have followed. Many experts feel that the yo-yo dieting and constant weight loss and gain is actually damaging to our bodies. Having the surgery sooner can only be beneficial as far as I can tell.

I wish I could have had it done sooner. I would like to have gotten those years back where I was too embarrassed to go dancing with friends, or go to the beach. I missed a lot in my early twenties that I can't get back now. There's no point in wasting a minute of your life if you don't have to.

So let me give you some context...

I logged into the chat room two days after surgery. I was in a lot of pain from my port site and had a fever and was scared. I did not call the doctor because I did the day before since I had a fever and did not want to bother him unnecessarily.

After logging into chat, I asked a couple of general post surgery questions. Instead of getting answers I needed to settle my fears, I was greeted in a confrontational way from the original poster of this poll with something to the effect of "I don't understand why anyone under 200 lbs would ever have this surgery." It was really not what I was hoping to get from a support site. I was in pain and again, instead of getting needed answers I was put in a position of having to defend myself for getting the surgery in the first place. I went for support and a helping hand and instead, did not get any answers, just higher blood pressure. It was hurtful. And the chat room is not "Rants and Raves". When someone logs into chat they sometimes need help then and there instead of waiting for an appropriate thread to be answered. So, there is the context.

That said, I am sorry about the "drive by". I just think everyone is entitled to a better quality of life. For me personally, I am a lifetime member of Jenny Craig, have been a Weight Watchers member multiple times, Nurtisystem, you name it. Most recently, the only thing that worked some was a drug/physician assisted program in which I was taking Phentermine on a regular basis. In that case, although I did get 20 of the 70 pounds off that I needed to lose, I gained it all back after I came off the drug since it conflicted with my asthma medications. I also gained an additional five+ pounds and was up to 203.

That is why I got banded...that and because I have many pre-diabetic symptoms including gestational diabetes 4 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter.

I guess my point with all of this is the fact that maybe we all need to be a bit more sensitive to one another since our plights are all the same. We should be "banding together" no pun intended.:biggrin2:

Froggie, peace to you my friend. That is where I was coming from though and it does not make my "drive by" okay. That was insensitive of me and for that I truly apologize. I feel you should know what triggered it and again, I was wrong, and I am sorry.

Kristin

krissy, everyone is entitled his/her opinion. As are you - I'm kind of curious however why it is you feel this way. It seems slightly unfair to kind of do a bit of a "drive-by" post. More feedback would have been helpful to the conversation.

I personally find nothing offensive in the least. It's a simple question and I highly doubt it was meant in any way to come off as such.

My personal opinion is that, to each his/her own. If you can pay for it and your doctor agrees to do it, then do it.

I myself would not go out of my way to spend all that money and pain if I only needed to lose 30-40 lbs. Of course that's just me. If someone else would, then I say - great for that person.

No one questions if you are ugly enough for plastic surgery. If you can pay for it and willing to take the risk then you should be able to get it. Insurance should cover anyone who's health is being effected by the excess weight. To set a weight as a cut off point is crazy. Every individual needs to be evaluated by a doctor!

I hope you guys aren't getting mad...no one said I was against smaller people getting it, it's just a poll lol

Actually, be honest, Froggie. You did say it in a chat room to me and others, so just be accountable for that. Owning things one creates is a great lesson to learn. :biggrin2: Take it from this old bat that has 20 years on you. I wish I had learned it in my early 20's.

Actually I am being honest....plus the room we were in was a lounge not a support group...also everyone has opinions and I didn't attack you in the room I just said i Didn't understand...simple as that.

Be offended if you may but that's stupid.

to be honest, i can easily see how someone would be offended by the poll and some of the statements here.

i think anyone who needs help losing weight should have the option of WLS.

This should be an issue between the patient, their primary physician and the LB surgeon only. What the rest of the world thinks is really not important or necessary.

This should be an issue between the patient, their primary physician and the LB surgeon only. What the rest of the world thinks is really not important or necessary.

Amen to that!:wink_smile:

I can see how some of the lower BMI people could be offended by this thread but really....no one has said anything I would consider to be particularly offensive. Although, it seems to me that there will always be someone who thinks wls is a bad idea for anyone - BMI of 30 or 50. Whoever said it is between the patient and their doctor is right. I certainly don't feel as if my decision to get the band was between anyone but my doc and I. Fortunatley, I am one of the very lucky ones who has lots of support from all of my family and friends.

Krissy I don't think you did anything wrong. You felt offened and said something, you didn't say why but I perfectly understood without the explanation. The way the question was phrased made it seem that there is something wrong with having WLS under 200lbs which could upset someone who had it done.