Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone extra-emotional??

I was banded June 6 and have been doing really well. I'm pleased with my healing, my weight loss, and my progression through each stage (I'm just starting the 2nd week of mushies). In the last couple of days, I found myself getting really bent out of shape for no reason at all. I've lashed out, cried, and completely lost my s**t for no real reason. Today it almost felt like I was having a panic attack. I was slicing a mango and the juice was getting all over the floor and I started bawling and couldn't continue slicing it!

Of course I have become more aware of my old eating habits and realizations that I used food for A LOT of reasons. None of these outbursts have happened because I was hungry or felt deprived. I don't get the feeling this is hormonal, but I could be wrong (I'm not near that time). Anyone else feel like this after surgery? What did you do to get past it? I was thinking of setting up an appt with the psychologist I saw to get clearance for surgery. Also, even though I am down a size and can see the difference in my body I have been feeling very "fat." Thanks for listening.

Hi luigismama, I am not yet banded, but I have seen alot of people asking similar questions and the answers are mostly explaining that our fat cells hold estrogen, so as we shed the fat, the estrogen in our bodies gets released causing this roller coaster of emotions. Hope that helped explain a little, I'm sure someone else can explain it better though. Good luck on your journey and congratulations!

My doctor told me to EXPECT some depression at about 3 weeks because of hormonal changes taking place with rapid weight loss. Sounds like what you're going thru. Hang in there... you'll be fine and back to normal very soon

Girl, welcome to my world!! :thumbup: I cried tonight watching frickin' Willie Wonka!!! wtf??? :crying: Fortunately, DH has been out of town most of the time since surgery or he would probably think I am nuts! Hopefully it will get better as I lose, get adjusted, etc. I just hope I don't go crazy before then! :blink: I hope it makes you feel better knowing you aren't the only one experiencing this. With over 300 of us banded in June, I'm sure there are plenty of us riding this roller coaster together. Good luck to you and feel free to email me if you want to talk.

Well first you just had surgery, and any major trauma to the body can cause mood swings look at what many women go through with childbirth & delivery post partum depression and such after any surgery/trauma is common.

And to top it off your probably losing weight on top of it so its a double whammy. lol.

I haven't gotten banded yet but I know after the birth of my youngest I had some of the most horrible mood swings I have ever had in my life. I had to be medicated they got so bad. I was losing weight cause I had just been diagnosed the day before his birth with sleep apnea & got the machine the day of his birth.

Recovering from a c-section, suddenly cause of the apnea treatment I felt a thousand times better so I was up and moving around way more then I did before he was born. I lost 70 pounds in the first 3 months after he was born. But the mood swings were vicious. Doc said it was because of so many things happening to my body at once.

I now looking back honestly do not how my family dealt with it. It was bad we were staying with my (now ex) husbands family at the time. One moment I was smiles and giggles the next throwing stuff across the room. lol

But it will even out.

Wow, I never thought it could be because of the surgery. I too have been very emotional, mostly very inpatient and just a down right B---h. The other night at dinner I was yelling at everyone because I thought they were eating too fast... too fast as opposed to what? The slow way I have been eating? Then they all wait around like vultures for the food they know I am no longer going to be able to finish.

Even my dogs know now that Mom is going to have leftovers (they never got any from me before)

I have not been eating for my emotions and I guess that has something to do with it also, I just never thought that there may be something physical going on also.

Nice to know we are not alone!

Hey there lugimama, yes i feel the same way but i hold it in! I was banded on june 23rd..i feel very weepy at times,lonely,sad,and fat feeling!!! Ithought it was just me!

Hi Guys. Browsing through the US site, and thank goodness I did. I was banded 25th June and I have felt totally miserable since.

I've questioned why I've done this (although I'm delighted I have) - does that make sense????? I've been arguing non-stop with my husband and shouting at the kids. I've been close to tears on a few occassions and generally feel quite low.

In saying that, I haven't weighed myself yet, but some of my clothes which were tight last week are fitting me and I am ecstatic about this.

I've had a few surgeries in the past and have always felt like this afterwards, so I know it'll pass!!!

Anyway, its great to know that other people out there cand sympathise and know where I'm coming from. Good luck with the weight loss (this time next year we'll be looking a feeling great)!! :thumbup:xx

Thanks for all your replies and support everyone! It just always feels better knowing that you're not the only one. I'll just tell hubby to hang in there with me- it'll get better! These boards are the best

I am traveling right now and I'm super emotional. My MIL made dinner tonight and there was nothing I could have since I'm on mushies. My bathing suit fell off the rack it was drying on and got dirty, so I couldn't go swimming while it was being washed. I feel super homesick and spent the day in tears for seemingly NO reason at all . . . so DH took me to go get food I can eat and he in turn hit a pole with the side of his dad's car. Yeah . . . it's been a LITTLE emotional for me, too. ;( I feel your pain!

OH yeah I was banded 6/12/08 after I got out of the hospital the next few days were ok but them. DEPRESSED! I was tearing up and feeling like I was a wet dish rag! I had mentioned it to my doctor and he said it happens!!! getting used to CHANGE and losing your old eating habits.... You feel like something is missing! YEAH FOOD! well that wha he said then it made a little more sense to me! I try to keep busy. That seem to help

I am also super down..I just feel uninterested in my life..before the surgery I was so sure and I was excited to start nursing school in Aug. well...Now Im not sure I even want to do it..Im supposed to move to WV where my DH is working and I dont want to even do that..I feel depressed ,fat,not interested in anything..and mostly not sure of myself anymore...

However...I am glad I have lost some weight so far..and my feet arent bothering me when I walk..which is awesome..

I just hope this time passes as quickly as possible for all of us..Its hard now but it will get easier..it has to .

I also feel like I am on a roller coaster... I have good and bad days... some times good and bad hours... my doctor explained to me that this is like a mourning period. We experience all the same emotions of loss... sadness, anger, etc... our bodies are going through so much I think there is no way to explain it all to our brains and accept it.