Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Suzanne... Have you tried running until you can't go any further (not to collapsing distance, just pushing distance)? If not, give it a go. At this point, you might be surprised at how long you can run. If its not too much farther, then I suggest just keep adding a few minutes each week until you can do the full 5k. MacMadam's advice on interval training is excellent, and what I'm doing now to increase my speed. But I would also suggest you push yourself on the length of time first to get to that full 5k distance.

My first 5k run took me a total of 44 min to complete, and I did run the full distance. I have now built up to be able to run a full hour without walking, and my speed is improving a lot. I'm running my 2nd 5k on Sunday and hope to break 40min or better (it's a lot hillyer than I'm used too!!).

Good luck and congrats on your C25k graduation!!

Ok, I'm a bit nervouse and a bit excited... tomorrow is my 2nd 5k race!!! I picked up the race kit today, and the shirt is really nice! It's a dri-fit long sleeve, female fitted (DH's is for a man!), and in a nice light blue which matches my running jacket.

Now if the weather will just cooperate. Its supposed to be sunny but cool, which I like.

I'm hoping to break 40 min on the race time, but it is hilly, and I haven't run a huge amount lately since having strep, so I won't beat myself up if I don't. As Whosya says, any race is great just for the experience!

Kathy~ Good luck on the 5K!

I will try to start walking tomorrow and see how far I can get. This back thing is worse than I thought it was! Today I just wanted to take off running, but I am still having quite a bit of pain.

Today I learned that I cant run at noon down here. It's currently 85F with a heat index of 91. Either that or I cant run the day after a whole day of marathon shopping at an outlet mall. LOL Im not totally sure what factors all went into me not running well today. I'll just say that I did not do well. See Whosya (if you're around...) Im not beating myself up about it. Just mentioning that I didnt do well. I'll plan to walk again tomorrow NIGHT and run on Tuesday night. Im extending week 4 since Im not doing as well with the first 3 min interval (lung-wise) and I want to feel stronger on the 5 min intervals b4 moving on.

ttys,

Carol

Well I did it! I didn't break 40min, but was close. I see my official time tomorrow when they post the chip times, but it was around 41:20 or something like that. My Nike+ didn't work for some reason, so I don't have it on that one.

It was very hilly, and the last hill was huge!!! It almost killed me, but I did it.

DH took a photo of me at the finish line, so I'll post it later.

Ok,I picked up the race kit today, and the shirt is really nice! It's a dri-fit long sleeve, female fitted (DH's is for a man!), and in a nice light blue which matches my running jacket.

I'm jealous!

Today I learned that I cant run at noon down here. It's currently 85F with a heat index of 91.

Yike! Don't run when it's that hot. You could get heat stroke!

Kathy~ WTG! That is a great time on a hilly course.

WOO HOOOOOO Kathy! u did it and on a hilly course too. so that will explain the "slower" time. LOL yeah right...as if that was slow. YOU freakin RAN 5K!!! Imagine yourself a year ago Kathy. Feel better now? Hope so :smile2:

Mac, thanks for the reminder. walking in the heat is do-able, running isnt. But i needed to prove to myself that i could try. I'll keep at it in the evenings till late fall. MAYBE the mornings if i can get up that early.

take care all, ttys

carol

Kathy - Congrats! That's awesome!

Well I'm officially a C25K graduate. I did it! I honestly wasn't sure if I would stick with it the entire 9 weeks, but here I am and I'm so happy about it.

Sat DH and I ran that track near my house. It was soooo much harder than the treadmill. It was super windy too which I'm sure didn't help. I made it the full 30 mins, but I was going really slow the last 5-10 mins. My pedometer says I went 2.5 miles and again, that includes 10 mins of warmup/cool down. DH could walk past me while I was "jogging".:smile2: Anyway, I kept at it and I finished the 30 mins.

Later that day we played baseball with my nephew and yesterday DH and I played tennis with my 21 year old DD and her fiance of the same age. Whew! I can barely walk today. I'm soooo sore, but in a very good way.

I plan to run Tue, Thur, and Sat this week and Sat will be on the track. May 9 is just around the corner and I don't feel ready for it. :smile:

Well I'm officially a C25K graduate. I did it!

SuzanneG! Congrats! That's Awesome! I've been running on my own for a few weeks, but just started the C25K last week, and i'm already noticing a difference! Soon i'll be a Graduate, also! ((I wonder if they give out Diplomas for this? :smile2:))

You'll do great in May!!!

Tkl

Thanks Tkl. I will say that even though I'm slow, this program has made a huge difference in my body. I went down a size from 8 to 6 even though I only lost a couple of pounds since then. I can see a drastic difference in my legs and even my stomach!

We do need a diploma. Somebody who's good at that sort of thing should make one and post it where we can get it. LOL

Congrats on starting the program! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Tkl. I will say that even though I'm slow, this program has made a huge difference in my body. I went down a size from 8 to 6 even though I only lost a couple of pounds since then. I can see a drastic difference in my legs and even my stomach!

We do need a diploma. Somebody who's good at that sort of thing should make one and post it where we can get it. LOL

Congrats on starting the program! Keep us posted on your progress.

That's great on the size change! I'm hoping for that kind of result, also. I've already gone form a size 22 to a size 14, with only 46 lbs lost, so i'm pretty sure its the running/walking/exercising that's doing it. I'd like to be in a size 12 by full summer! But we'll see. My first wedding dress in 1980 was a size 14, so i'm already way ahead of anything that i thought i'd accomplish with this surgery!

I need to find a 5K in my area now, so that i have that time frame goal to reach! I'll start looking today!

Tkl

Thanks everyone! You guys are such a great support! I'm posting my finish line photo... I'm in blue.

When I went to work today, I had so many people come by to congratulate me... I didn't tell them, but a colleague of mine also ran and she told them all. Everyone was so supportive, it felt really good.

Suzanne... WTG! You're an official graduate! I love the certificate idea... who's creative that can do that? Any takers?

Tkl... welcome and congrats on your progress so far! I started at a tight size 26 and am now down to a loose 16. I hope to get down to size 12, but I've only got about 20 lbs or so left, so I'm not sure if I will. Big bones and lots of muscle (thanks to running!), but anything now is just icing on the cake. I've accomplished all the health benefits that I set out to do.

JWood... thanks!

Carol... LOL, you're overheating and I'm in the snow! Is there a happy middle ground? It feels like winter again today. I'm so looking forward to running outside for awhile, until the real heat of July & Aug.

Whosya... congrats on winning our 2week Nike+ again!

post-220980-13813138278015_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kathybad