Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the exercise section of this forum. I just wanted to put it out there and say that I am giong to start the Couch to 5K tonight. I've been trying to psych myself up for it all day. Got a couple co-workers in on it and I'm trying to be excited about.

I have been on a plateau for about 2 months now and I desperately want to lose these last 15 pounds. I've decide to fake it til I make it! LOL I want to be one of those people who loves to exercise and gets upset when they miss it.

I'll be running on a treadmill until the weather improves. After that I have a very hilly yard and I like to walk/run around it when the weather is nice.

Any suggestions?

Welcome Suzanne!! The couch to 5k is great. You can google podrunner for some music to go with it. It really helped me. I am down to those last stubborn pounds and it is so difficult. I just finished reading The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. She is in her 40's and was overweight and now looks great. I love her philosophy on diet. She says that it is 80% nutrition, 10% genetics, and 10% exercise. That said, I am really working hard on getting control of my eating. I don't want my exercise to be for nothing because I am eating wrong foods. Remember that you need extra Protein and good, healthy carbs to have enough energy for lots of exercise! Can't wait to hear your progress!!

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the exercise section of this forum. I just wanted to put it out there and say that I am giong to start the Couch to 5K tonight. I've been trying to psych myself up for it all day. Got a couple co-workers in on it and I'm trying to be excited about.

I have been on a plateau for about 2 months now and I desperately want to lose these last 15 pounds. I've decide to fake it til I make it! LOL I want to be one of those people who loves to exercise and gets upset when they miss it.

I'll be running on a treadmill until the weather improves. After that I have a very hilly yard and I like to walk/run around it when the weather is nice.

Any suggestions?

Welcome Suzanne! It's good that you have buddies that are doing it with you. My only advice to you is to start SLOW. Don't worry about speed right now...just focus on getting through the runs and building up your endurance. Good luck on first run tonight! Let us know how it goes.

Okay....I gave in and weighed today. I was doing sooooo good only weighing on Mondays...but I couldn't help myself. I lost 3 lbs since Monday. I guess my body is repaying me for last weeks one little pound loss, lol. I'm sooooo glad I am losing again!!!

Georgia Girl and RenewedHope - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to get DH to do it too. He prefers randomness so may not do well with a structured program.

Georgia Girl - congrats on moving the scale!

Suzanne...it is soooo much easier when your spouse in on board! Althought my hubby doesn't run, he is FINALLY on board with me about food and losing weight. He's lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks and has been going to the gym with me. I'm sooo proud of him. Not to mention it makes it a lot easier for me to stick to my diet when we are doing it together. Good luck!

Renewed...how are you feeling today?

Kathy..Hope you are having a great time! I miss your posts...

Hey Guys! I did it, I did the first day! It wasn't too bad and I feel better mentally today, so I'm really glad I did it. I hope I can make a habit of it.

I'm signing up for the Komen 5k walk for the cure in May. I'm going to use that as motivation and plan to run it with a timer this year!

Thanks for the encouragement, it really helped!

Thanks. I just got myself an iPod Shuffle so I can use the Podcasts too. I'm actually excited about this and mentally feel so much better already!

Suzanne~ WTG! You will love the podcasts, they were really helpful to get through the program!

I'm so excited for you!

Now my news... ran for 30 min. today at 4.8 the entire time! Usually I bounce up to 4.8 for a few minutes, but spend most of the run between 4.7 and 4.6.

I need to run for 30 min. two more times and then I can say I'm done with the program.

Way to go Suzanne! I think the first few weeks are really difficult and then you start to believe you can do it.

I'm finally back up to week 6 after a few setbacks. I came down with a couple bad colds, then experienced knee trouble, then finally got started again. I started at the beginning and got up to week 4 again before starting knee troubles again. :biggrin: I have a PT session scheduled, but in the mean time, I'm giving myself two days between runs and doing the ice/rest/stretch in between.

Anyway--I did the 20 minute run the other day and managed to do it without stopping! Yeah! I did week 6 day one today and felt lousy the whole time (tired, unmotivated, not injured), but I did it. I travelled the local 5k course (literally a mile from home) that I'm going to run in April. It's a bit farther than my workouts haven taken me so far (usually about 2.5 miles--I'm slow.)

It's really hard to believe that I'm going to RUN this thing in a matter of weeks!