Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Morning all. I am looking to get banded in August. Although I have only started this journey in April, I feel like it is taking forever. I know several others have had to wait much longer. I am nervous about the procedure, as I have never had any type of surgury, however am very excited about what awaits. I am excited to see what I will look like being thinner and heathier. I am excited about the many more things I can do with my wife and boys. I will keep you all posted as I go through this milestone in my life. There is really allot of support and great people on this forum and I apprecitate reading their comments.

Welcome Hazmat Guy...I'm in Virginia too.

Looks like you are well on your way. It is normal to be nervous and the closer you get to your band date the more anxious you will probably feel. But in the end you'll find that it isn't nearly as hard as you thought and it will be worth it! I wish you the best.

Hi Hazmat guy...I'm from the Richmond area.

I'm hoping for a August banding date too. I should find out for sure next week when I meet my surgeon.

(I like you screen name/avatar combo - :))

Welcome to LBT. I hope you find it is as helpful and informative as I have.

Welcome from me also. I love this forum! I am in the Richmond area, and will be banded on July 24. What part of Virginia are you from?

Good luck to you. I live in VA as well. I have my first visit with the Bariatric MD on july 2nd. Supposidly I have been approve for sugury....I hope so. Best of luck to you.

Just wanted to wish you well. I am from VA and was banded earlier this year. It has changed my life. I am fitting into clothing I never thought I would wear again, and I am almost 1/2 way to my goal. You just need to stay committed, and using this forum can be a great motivator.

Good luck.

Hey! I'm in Springfield, VA and just got approval from Kaiser to go forward. I've been referred to George Washinigton University Hospital, Dr. Juliette Lee. The bad news is that she hasn't yet done a lapband surgery. I might be her first... I've got to meet with her and decide if I'm willing to take that risk!

I'm 58, weight 226...surgery probably won't be until late August or early SEP. ...if I go through with it at all!

Welcome!!

Im in Va too, Christiansburg, sown by virginia tech.

I was banded June 3rd in Radford

Loving the Mushies!!! (insert the sarcasm here please)

It will go so fast!!!!

And the procedure is "cake" :tt2:

Good luck, check out the Virginia section of the forums, and let us know if you need anything.

Kim

What Protein supplement did you use? My Doctor wants me on liquids two weeks prior to surgury. they suggest Slim Fast but I really don't like the taste. Let me know what has worked for you. I am really looking forward to the change in my life. Best of luck.

EK,

I used Atkins shakes at my doctors instance, they provide a more complete Meal Replacement. Choclate sucked but hte vanilla and strawberry were ok.

Now I use New whey Protein Bullets New whey Protein Bullets

They give 42 grams of protein and 0 carbs 0 sugars. I drink half in the afternoon and half at bedtime as your body can only absorb so much protein at a time. I got a really good deal off e-bay that made them about a dollar cheaper then GNC.

My doc also allowed scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and sugar free/fat free pudding on the pre op diet

ALL docs are different though.

The first thing I asked the Dr. when he came in that evening to check on me was how did my liver look :tt2:

Turned out he said it was nice and small and he had plenty of room to work around with.

alot of prople also reccomend unjury UNJURY Medical Quality Protein Supplement: High Protein Supplement Uses Whey Protein Isolate. Great tasting whey protein supplements! I have not tried it but alot of people in my support group have and they really like it. Have to order from internet.

Hope this helps,

Kim

BTW, I am in Northern VA near Dulles airport.

I was curious did any of you get to see pictures of your own surgery? At my first follow-up my surgeon showed pictures of mine. When he pulled them out I was almost afraid to look, I thought I would be grossed out but it was actually pretty cool.

There were before and after pictures of my hernia repair, a picture of my liver before it was clamped up, one of the band being placed around my stomach, one with the band in place and one with my liver back in place with the band behind it.

I didn't ask about his opinon of the condition of my liver and he didn't say anything but from the pictures my liver wasn't all fatty it was pink with just a small thin patch of fat in one spot.

I'm noticing from your dates of consultation that your doctor's allowed really short consultation times before scheduling surgery. Kaiser required that I attend 2 classes and 6 months of visits with the nutritionist before they would send my name to their board for referral to the doctor. I had to have the psych eval and lose 3% of my weight as a precondition. It's been almost a year since I started the process. Now that I've been referred, I have to take a class at GWU hospital and have a meeting with the surgeon before I can be scheduled!!! I've lost and gained back that measly 6 pounds three times since I started. I do fine when I'm home, but when I travel, I lose all control--and, I travel with my job, so it's been a yoyo!

I don't know about you guys, but I've tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Optifast and most every other diet. I lose 35 or so pounds, then keep it off about a year and gain it all back one pound at a time. The only good thing I can say is that I get a new wardrobe every few years...but my closets are full of the sizes I hope to wear again one day...I'd really like to live thin for a while before I die...I'm looking forward to the lapband helping me lose enough that I will be motivated to keep it off!

Susan

Hey guys.....I am getting banded 8/18 and just trying to do some shopping for my pre-op diet, according to the diet list I am to start on 8/4. I am just curious what you guys used for your Protein shake such as slimfast if so which one.

Thanks

Chris

My doc wanted me to use Atkins shakes because they are a more complete meal replacement...

I drank 5 a day and BOY did it kick in the weight loss...

Actually thinking of going back on them a couple of days b4 my fill to get a week in on them to re.. start my loss :biggrin:

cheater I know but better then cheating the other way with a donut :)

Kim