Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of starting the lap band procedure. I had my first appt today. I have a BMI of 41. I managed to work my way up from a BMI of 36 without even trying over the last year, so I decided I had better do something about it before it gets worse.

The process to get insurance approval is way stream lined now. 2 appts 4 hours each and a sleep study. Thats it!! Nice, huh?

I waivered and waivered on whether to do bypass or banding. Banding seems so much safer. I am a nurse and I have seen people die from bypass; its not pretty. But then I did research on banding today and totally freaked out, what if I don't lose the weight? Then I found you guys, thank god I did! I needed to hear real stories from real people, you know what I mean.

I have my second appt tomorrow and the sleep study Saturday night, then I get to see a surgeon, so I will keep you updated! Thanks for being here.

Rena

Hi Rena Welcome to LBT, you have come to the right place to see success, there are many many successful bandsters here, there is a before and after pictures thread you can view to see first hand.

I too researched the band vs the bypass and there was no way I could do the bypass, Iam so happy with my decision to get the band. 13 months ago I was 91 pounds heavier and in a size 22, I am happy to say Iam now in a size 10 and doing things with my husband and 3 boys I have not done in years. I have my life back . I wish you the best, please keep us posted as to your progress and when you will be banded and please keep coming here to get your support and any questions you need answered here. This is a great group of caring, knowledgable & supportive people here.

Good Luck :)

Thank you so much for your reply. I am now in my first pair of size 22's. I am so glad to hear your story. I can't wait to get there! I just had to be sized for my best friends wedding and would you believe that with these big boobs and huge waist I had to order a size 26... uggghhhh! The wedding is in september, I don't have a date yet for the band, but I am hoping we have to do some serious size adjustments to the dress. (wouldn't that be nice?)

Rena

How do I get one of those tickers at the bottom of my page? I love that.

How do I find before and after pictures?

Thanks,

Rena

Welcome Rena! So glad that you are here. I see that you live in Beaverton...small world. I will be moving to Hillsboro as soon as our house sells in San Diego (my husband is already in there).

My feelings were a lot like yours. As a nurse, I vowed to never do gastric bypass...way too many horror stories. I researched banding in Nov. but talked myself out of it after reading the complications on the Inamed site. It wasn't until the end of March that I changed my mind. At 292 pounds, a BMI of 45, and bursting out of 26/28 clothes, I decided enough was enough. I am so glad I did. Good for you for finding this site before your surgery. I just found it yesterday and I am already feeling so much more support with my band.

Feel free to email or pm me. Best of luck to you.

Hi Rena,

Glad to see you found the section and how to start a thread! :)

It heartens me so to see so many nurses choosing banding over bypass. I think eventually banding will be the preferred WLS and the medical community will be the reason why. There is just no sense to going for the most invasive and damaging procedure first when there is this to try for people who are not at death's door due to obesity.

Once again, welcome to LBT!! :D

I'm glad you made the decision to go with the band. My sister-in-law and uncle had gastric bypass and my husband and I opted for the band. Our recovery has been a breeze compared to theirs. Yes, we will have to work harder to lose the weight but when you weigh all the risks, it's worth it. Just remember that the band is a tool to help us to achieve the weight loss results we are looking for. We had our bands put on 2 weeks ago and we both feel great! Good luck with your surgery and welcome to LBT.

Welcome to LBT! Please browse through all the older posts as well as the new ones and you will find tons of valuable information.

Good Luck!

Welcome Rena,

I think you will be happy with reading the posts here. These folks have lots of good information.

Welcome to LBT....all of the people here has made my choice for lapband a much easier choice and they are informative and very nice!!!! I thought about gastric bypass also, but I felt like you and after a lot of research fell this is the best way to go.

Welcome and goodluck!!!!!

Hello Rena,

I'm new too...It looks like we are starting together, just about the same size, I'm sceduled for surgery on the 26th...Maybe we can get rid of our fat clothes together :)

Good luck,

Aileena