Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age 21, Obese, Lapband, Childbirth????

My daughter is 21 5ft 7 about 290 lbs.

I just got off the phone with her...I am a bandster myelf 317 start 276 current 185 goal..I hope to inspire some friends and maybe my daughter one day once I have reached my goal weight. I havent been under 200 pounds in over 35 years I'm 54 yrs old now.

I have briefely talked with my daughter about banding, she mentioned that she heard that you can't have children after being banded. Does anyone have Knowledge about this.

At 21 yrs old I would think she would be better off being banded and losing weight..before she even considered having surgery considering the complications from childbirth and being morbidly obese.

I'm not sure she is emotionally ready for the eating changes that occur from Lap Band.

Any thoughts on any of this.

Thankyou,

Ken:smile:

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I have heard and read that you can have children w/ the band. I have not been banded yet, but have started this journey. I also plan on children someday and that's one of the main reasons I was leaning more toward the band vs bypass. I think they just loosen it up a bit. Try putting "pregnancy" in the search field on this website and it may bring up some threads.

You can absolutely have a baby after lap band! Many women (like myself) want lap band because it helps with fertility and improved pregnancy outcomes! Also if more nutrition is needed during pregnancy she can get an unfill. I do know it is important to wait 12-24 months after WLS so that your weight stabilizes for the healthiest pregnancy possible!:Angel_anim:

She can certainly have children after the Band!! After losing weight she will be in better health and it may even help her chances of conceiving (if she's currently having problems).

Most surgeons want you to wait to have children after being banded. My surgeon said at least a year, my insurance recommends 2 years. But I've heard where women become pregnant 6 months after getting banded. You can also go to the Pregnant And Banded board here for more support/answers.

And as much as you may want this for her, she has to want it MORE for herself. If she's not ready to make those lifestyle changes now she's better waiting until she is.

Sounds like she's got a great support team though! Good Luck!

I initially found out about the band because I had my tubes tied in 1996 and now with my new husband we would like to have another child. I wanted the reversal but I am 40 pounds too heavy for the surgery they told me to get lapband since insurance paid for it. So here I am omw to a healthy me so I can have a reversal and a new baby :Angel_anim:

I must be crazy though since mine are teens now.. adding a baby is goind to be an adventure haha

This is a GREAT option for her!!! I specifically chose the band because I am not finished having children. I have a 20 month old daughter and would like to get pregnant again sometime next year. The benefit of the band during pregnancy is that they unfill it to give you the ability to eat enough for a healthy pregnancy/baby.

With my daughter, I went through fertility treatments and then had a very complicated pregnancy. She was eventually born at 30 weeks and weighed only 2 1/2lbs. She is healthy and strong(praise God) but I decided that I wouldn't have another baby until I was at a healthier weight.

The issues that I had during my pregnancy didn't neccessarily come from being obese, but it didn't help and may have worsened the problems I was having. There will be no taking chances for me when it comes to the health and well being of my children. So I will have another once my weight is under better control.

from everything that I have read it actually increases her chances of getting pregnant as her weight becomes more of a healthy one. It will also make her pregnancy and delivery much better if she is not so heavy, and as for the waiting, she is so young she has plenty of time. Good luck with your band and one day being a grandparent.