Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychiatric Medication

(OMG - I just wrote a lovely response about therapy and lost the whole &^*&( thing when a spider emerged from my keyboard and I "dealt with him") :crying:

Bottom line - because no way am I going to re-type that essay -

KEEP (or find) a therapist or whatever counselor you feel comfortable with.

If you are feeling some of the euphoria of positive change like I am (I have bipolar disease with some childhood trauma effects thrown in)

you'll benefit with a skilled counselor. :wink2:

Another suggestion is to keep a journal.

It's a good venting exercise, help sort out the emotions and maybe you'll look at it in the future for . . . whatever. :thumbup:

Sunwyse, Hi. I was banded about 8 months ago, and it is true that I am moodier than ever, but I feel as though the depression I felt reight after surgery has lifted. I think it is common because when I go to get my fills they have me answer a questionnaire and there are 4 or 5 questions on moods and depression on there. I do not currently see a therapist, but at the suggestion of fellow bandsters will look into finding one soon because I definately think that helps. I also need to start attending the support groups that my surgeon/hospital have. I am lucky that my sister had the band done 2 months ago so we are great support for one another. I sure saw her depression and moodiness after the surgery!!! That is getting better, she is on effexor and she may have upped her dose. I consider my getting the band a life changing event. It is similar to me to when I quit drinking alcohol and using drugs 15 yrs. ago. I was ready to be this happy, straight, RICH, and without depression. My mother simply told me..."I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you weren't a whole lot of fun to be around BEFORE you started drinking!!!" (My mother doesn't mess around, she says what she wants to!) I was shocked and thought thanks a lot mom! But she was absolutely right. Just because I was sober did not make me happy rich or not depressed. I just did everything minus the hangover! I guess my point is just that I have to learn to accept and love myself the way I am. Everyday I will have to learn it again. Good luck learning to love yourself today! bbanded

I know this was addressed under the "Lapband Strugglers" thread, but I wanted to start a discussion about anyone's experience wih their past/present psych meds. How do you feel your experience with weight loss (before or after the lapband) has tied in? How to you deal with the side effects (if you have them)?

I've taken a few different medications with different results. Paxil and Trazadone worked for a time but I gained about a pound a month while I was on that combo. The doctors warned me about that. That was especially frustrating because I purposefully increased my activity level to compensate, and the emotional blunting with Paxil was dramatic. Prozac didn't have the gaining side effect, but not the mood elevating side effect either!

Finally, Wellbutrin, which I took for 3 years, was my most successful med. I was in an emotional place where I was motivated to be more active and, at the same time, it allowed me to at least maintain my weight.

How's everyone else doing with theirs? Finding the right med can be such a harrowing journey, I wanted to put forth a place in this forum to reach out for help and validation.

Also, please note that I am not purporting that psych meds that cause weight gain are some kind of blanket excuse for struggling with weight loss. I regret I have to make that explicit. Psych meds are one factor that can make it tougher for some than others, and this is a place to discuss those experiences.

I have been on Cymbalta (90 mg.)for about 1 1/2 years and I have struggled with weight gain, but also take trazadone at night too. This did't help my weight!

Hi. Not banded yet. Going to be as soon as possible though. I have severe rapid cycling mixed state bipolar. without meds I go really crazy. I worry that some of my meds will be to big to pass through. How has anyone dealt with this? I don't know if they can be crushed. it is geodon, abilify, ambien and klonopin. those are pretty small and shouldn't be a problem. the kicker is the wellbutrin - it is huge. does it come in liquid? I heard that it may come in shot form? anybody heard of this? I need to know because with three kids to take care of i cannot risk being off on my meds. This is the whole reason i can't do bypass. any suggestions? does weight affect dosage?

Hi. Not banded yet. Going to be as soon as possible though. I have severe rapid cycling mixed state bipolar. without meds I go really crazy. I worry that some of my meds will be to big to pass through. How has anyone dealt with this? I don't know if they can be crushed. it is geodon, abilify, ambien and klonopin. those are pretty small and shouldn't be a problem. the kicker is the wellbutrin - it is huge. does it come in liquid? I heard that it may come in shot form? anybody heard of this? I need to know because with three kids to take care of i cannot risk being off on my meds. This is the whole reason i can't do bypass. any suggestions? does weight affect dosage?

I've never been too tight to take my medication, if I am then there's a problem! I currently am unfilled but prior to that I was still taking the same cocktail of drugs every day. Sometimes you may feel tighter in the morning and a warm cup of tea prior to your meds may help but I don't see why it would be a problem. I have a thyroid pill I have to take on an empty stomach with just Water first thing and that has never been a problem either. Take care Nancy.:thumbup:

I don't know about weight/dosage I guess it depends on the drug so you'll have to ask your doctor(s) about that. My daughter did have RNY and the amount of pills she takes is even grander than mine and her antidepressants had to be adjusted due to the malabsorption.

Edited by Nanook
additional comment

Hi Zoomomma--I'm remembering back when I was taking the Wellbutrin and I think you're going to be ok. I had to take some chunky anti-biotics right after surgery and I was able to do that alright. Just like Nanook said, warm beverages like tea can be relaxing and helpful!

If you are going to crush the Wellbutrin, double check with your dr. or your pharmacist would know too. I know that the extended release Wellbutrin is compromised if crushed, so that's no good. But, if you're on the older Wellbutrin it might be fine.

Hi, I'm new to this site... considering Lap Band Surgery self-pay using some retirement money, been heavy (85 lbs overweight) the last 12 years.. I take Prozac 80 mg and BuSpar 60 mg for anxiety and depression, mainly anxiety, I wanted to know if anyone would be rejected for surgery due to being on the psych meds, I'm stable and am hoping it is not an issue in getting the surgery...feel like I have to let them know what I take regardless... any comments? Thanks!

Maxxy...

I don't think it should keep you from being approved as depression is a physical condition and I've heard many spout that depression and anxiety would go away once banded. Not always the case but supposedly people think it does happen. I know during the psych eval they seem more concerned if you have had suicidal attempts in your past, things in that nature but otherwise it shouldn't affect you. I take meds for anxiety and depression myself as do a lot of people on this forum. Good luck, Nancy.:lol:

many psych meds actually physically slow down your metabolism. (lithium, etc...) that's why many people gain weight.

in addition, many mellow you out so much that they kill your motivation. many cause apathy, sleepiness, etc...(many antidepressants).

even worse, many cause changes in appetite and sugar cravings.

I got to a point before I was banded where I no longer needed an antidepressant, and was on a steady minimal dose of mood stabilizer.

work closely with your drs.

I have both anxiety and depression. My Mom has commented that my mood has seemed better since my surgery last month, but I feel like I've been more easily annoyed by others. I think this might be hormonal. I'm on Cymbalta which is one of the few meds that I can take without crazy side effects. My anxiety mostly comes out at night, so I take Klonopin then. I was also diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few months ago and am on meds for that. In the past month I have had this weird anxiety when I'm changing lanes while driving and pulling out of parking spots. My psychiatrist said that this could be due to my thyroid...weird! My depression definitely gets worses in the winter with SAD, so I try to get as much sunlight as possible. i can start exercising without restriction this coming week and that always helps my mood too!

I have both anxiety and depression. My Mom has commented that my mood has seemed better since my surgery last month, but I feel like I've been more easily annoyed by others. I think this might be hormonal. I'm on Cymbalta which is one of the few meds that I can take without crazy side effects. My anxiety mostly comes out at night, so I take Klonopin then. I was also diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few months ago and am on meds for that. In the past month I have had this weird anxiety when I'm changing lanes while driving and pulling out of parking spots. My psychiatrist said that this could be due to my thyroid...weird! My depression definitely gets worses in the winter with SAD, so I try to get as much sunlight as possible. i can start exercising without restriction this coming week and that always helps my mood too!

travelinsnorkel,

you sound very similar to me. I also have some driving anxiety but never heard a connection between that and the thyroid, my thyroid is underactive also and I'm on meds for that too.

I also suffer much more with depression during the winter months and up where I live February is a killer and luckily they give a week off then so many head south.

I also am on Klonapin but usually just a night unless I'm really anxious and Cymbalta for depression. I was down in the DC/Md area over Thanksgiving and know the traffic there is much more stressful and feel sorry for you as I grew up there and it's only gotten worse! I know some people are able to go off their meds but for me thick or thin I need them and am much better on than off! There's still a stigma associated with depression and any sort of mental illness and makes some people want to go off their meds prematurely if they should at all. It's not a weakness of character and I wish people would understand it better. Take care Nancy.:cursing:

Hi Nanook, my shrink said the thyroid being off could definitely contribute. Cymbalta helps with my anxiety too. Everything else, Lexapro, Effexor, etc made me more anxious or wigged out. MD and DC are definitely stressful to drive in, but never had a problem before. I'm hoping it will go away soon!

Hi Nanook, my shrink said the thyroid being off could definitely contribute. Cymbalta helps with my anxiety too. Everything else, Lexapro, Effexor, etc made me more anxious or wigged out. MD and DC are definitely stressful to drive in, but never had a problem before. I'm hoping it will go away soon!

I've been on meds for the past 20 years after my last baby was born. I didn't develop anxiety related to driving until I started working in DC and living in Montgomery Village and taking a bus every day. I think the act of not driving in that traffic made it easier for me to develop the anxiety. It also runs in my family and my siblings have it also but we're not all driving phobic like I am. I went a whole year without even driving so I'm much better but still the thought of driving in MD again scares me. Where I live now there is really no public transportation so you have to drive everywhere but there's always something I avoid. I did find it interesting about the thyroid I'll have to look more into that thanks. MY eldest daughter gets ticks every times she switches lanes on the highway here. I hope things get better for your also! Take care Nancy.:cursing:

How did you get off of effexor? It is very hard to go off and I would like to try cymbalta if it works as good. I take 150 time release of effexor and klonopin at night after so very many years of life I know I need something, but the withdrawals of effexor scare me so bad. Did u have a hard time changing?