Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thoughts pre opt

Do not do it you will regret it. It is painful this is the wrong forum to be asking they only are lab band cheerleaders and do not respect others opinions here you will regret it and it I cannot get a dr to confirm it but I am guessing the damage done by the band is going to cost me more than the original 17500 the surgery cost me you can email me privately and I will gladly send you my phone number and I will talk to you.

I think there is a PM system here to if you dont want to talk about it. I admit to feeling frustrated and worried.

As far as everyone's answer that all I need to do is journal and its going to show me the way. We were at the Rehab Center 24 hours a day for months. The ONLY food within a mile was Taco Bell and Golden chicken, neither my idea of healthy food. I was sitting with my dad and doing 12 hour stretches sat and sun and letting my mom have the weekend off. She was sleeping on the tile floor at her age of 82. I never would have thought I could get back up over 200 lbs again, but Iv been thru a lot.

If journaling was all I needed to set my diet for life, then Im thinking these folks probably havent been thru what I have to say its so simple to them. When all you had was those two fast food places to eat at, no diet is going to work. We were mentally and physically exhausted.

So, here I am for the second time in my life, not only over 200, but over 240. I can only go forward and not beat myself up for the past and hope I can stay on a diet, but after what Iv been thru I know its not nearly as easy as losing a bit of weight near term. Call me a worrier.

Flowers,

You say that you know journaling won’t help you. Have you tried? Sometimes it seems that it doesn’t, in my case, because all I do, again, so it seems, is write about what makes me sad or depressed, or how much I want Cookies. But I also try to see what, if anything, is beneath the fact that I want to eat. It’s like peeling the skin off an onion--once you get started, things just seem to come up.

I understand eating because you’re bored; believe me, I’ve been there. But I’m wondering if maybe there aren’t more reasons than that, like eating for comfort. I think about what will happen when I can no longer do that, and it’s for that reason that I’m trying to find out just what’s going on in my head. Actually, I’ve been on this journey for years. Sometimes, it helps to distract myself with simple things, like writing, or drinking Water, or calling someone to say I want to eat.

And while you may not have heard how the band does in five years, in my opinion, it’s better to take a chance on getting one than possibly having a heart attack, or stroke, or diabetes, or any number of obesity-related diseases

It is scary to take that plunge--I go back and forth daily on the what ifs, but I think that soulsearching has brought me this far, and I hope you find a way to reach a decision that will bring you peace. Remember, this is for you, not anyone on this site, or your mom. You will reap the benefits. I’ve had friends and family I wasn’t sure would support me, but many have, and there’s a chance your mom is just worried because she doesn’t understand how important this is to you, or how low risk lap band surgery is now.

I wish you the best, whatever you decide.

No, journaling isn't the be-all and end-all, but I find that it really can help, and I've had one heck of a life.

Well, Im glad journaling helped so many of you. Iv tried to explain why I know it wouldnt help me and if I have to face bad choices like Taco Bell and Fried chicken all day long and that Im aware of what I eat.

The same thing doesnt work for everyone, thanks for your input.

btw when I was losing the weight last time and lost the 80 lbs I told myself that this for sure was the last time, I would never put the weight back on and go thru it again. So, Im sure part of that is beating myself up for being here again. All that went out the window when my Dad almost died twice and his mind wasnt all there etc.

To those who say its better to lose the weight, I say again, my concern that it isnt better to lose if you regain it. That is even harder on your body, thats my fear, gaining it all back and more yet once again. Obviously, my promise to myself to keep it off didnt hold. Im pretty upset with myself for regaining this weight.

Im hoping that if things got bad the lapband would stop the regain, but it doesnt sound like it will from what you all are telling me.

Studies have proven that for those who are insulin resistant, you can gain 300% more than the actual calories in something like a candy bar. On the low gi diet I was eating 1200 to 1800 calories a day and losing 12 lbs or more a month. The only days I went over 1200 were my hungry days so I would bake fish. I can eat baked fish and the weight falls off me. I ate baked salmon until I cant stand it lol.

I feel like Im having to defend why journaling wouldnt work for me and not getting any real support here. Evidently, Im the only one here with an insulin issue and certain foods are going to trigger it that are so hard to say no to.

Perhaps some here could benefit by reading one of the low gi diet books and learning how to lose weight without having to starve yourself. Its been proven you can lose more, even eating more calories per day with low gi than either low fat or a low calorie diet btw. No matter who you are.

What I want to do is combine what I know about how to eat for myself and the lap band for when Im faced with bad choices.

The only big difference I see here, is that you are supposed to eat your Protein first at meals. Iv been thinking probably the diets are similar otherwise. low gi and what folks are eating here that are talking on this forum. For me its NO candy or high gi carbs or Im thrown in a loop and dont stop and then my insulin is all out of whack and the weight loss stalls out and I start regaining. There are people who weight watchers works for, and some who need low gi like me. Im a proponete of low gi eating and you dont have to count calories if you eat the foods you are supposed to. If you eat carbs, a small boiled not baked red potato, whole grain Pasta or rice and its how you cook it too, how much starch is in it.

I give up. I dont seem to feel like what I know works for me is what anyone else here even agrees with, you are counting things in a different way and the diet you all are on.

Maybe I will be on my own even if I get the lap band, because Im going back on a low gi diet and not counting calories or journaling, but I need to stay away from high gi carbs to keep it off.

south beach diet is another example of low gi, or nutrisystem. I cooked on my own, and made Protein shakes for lunch, but we had Protein Snacks in between meals, it wasnt what is being described here. a piece of laughing cow cheese and a small piece of lite meat, or a egg fried in pam with a piece or turkey bacon. or no sugar yogurt or foods like that for a snack were allowed, we didnt cut calories as much as other diets, but lost the weight if you can eat like that.

good luck to the rest of you, Im glad what you are doing is working great for you. Hopefully the lap band will work for me when I need a little extra support down the line .... and I know the time will come.

Maybe instead of a lap band board, after I get my lap band I would be better off to go back to a low gi type forum where at least I would get support on my diet and everyone wouldnt say all I need to do is journal.

I don't think any of us said it was simple! I have the same trouble with carbs (insulin spike, etc.) that you mention. That was why I decided it was imperative that I get off of most of the sugars and white carbs. It wasn't easy! I had cravings for a good month, but I also found I felt a whole heck of a lot better when I avoided most of them. I think we can all agree that French Fries and white bread don't offer much nutritionally. And, to my surprise, I found I didn't miss them all that much!

Anyhow, on to your question about the band long term. This is where the band excels. Not only are you able to keep getting adjustments as needed, forever, but bandsters tend to find that even when they stray, they don't gain it back nearly as fast as they did without the band. That 10 pounds gained over the holidays might just be one or two. Regarding band vs. bypass, studies show that after 3-5 years, the weight loss of the two groups evens out. It just takes a little longer with the band. A small price to pay for not having your insides re-routed, IMHO.

So, if you are ready and willing to make the necessary changes, and your stress level is closer to "normal", go for it! If you follow most of the rules most of the time, you'll lose most of the weight. :-)

Orea

Im not a big soda drinker, so that isnt going to bother me either, never missed it, rarely had a diet soda anyway.

I just found out the fill doctor in Dallas wouldnt take me that I was going to go to for 3 months. I have a cruise that I come back from less than 3 weeks from the 3 month date, so I might be on my own without any fills an extra 2 - 3 weeks. If I can do the rest, I figure I probably can do an extra 2 - 3 weeks without a fill. The surgery doctor doesnt like to do any fill during surgery, not even a little bit, says it could leak?

So, things are kinda coming together instruction wise. Orea15, thanks for the words that the lap band will help keep it off if I hit another bad time, thats what I needed before I could go thru this losing again.

Looking like I cant get my first fill until Oct 6th or 8th, depending on if he uses 90 days or 3 months exactly. Quite a few on this forum are using this fill doctor, most love him, one said he was abrupt with them.

I got some Vitamin Water and some Decaf coffee today, starting to set up for the post op liquid phase. No caffeine coffee for a week. Iv got 11 pages of diet typed out to get me thru the 3 months. I know they still make you meet the nutrionist to go over it at the hospital. Transferred the money to my checking account last Friday, so whatever my reservations, things are still a go.

That's great! I just saw my surgeon for per op instructions about what I have to do in the way of testing, meetings, etc. I'm on my way, too! :blink:

Everyone has had hardships in their life, it is wrong and immature to say that no one knows what you went through or has been through things like that.

Most doctors/nutritionests want you to chart your food so you might have to not be lazy and start doing that...either way you need to work with the band...it isn't a walk in the park.

That's great! I just saw my surgeon for per op instructions about what I have to do in the way of testing, meetings, etc. I'm on my way, too! :blink:

Good deal!!! I have the seminar I signed up for about a month ago, finally tomorrow. Im not sure there is that much else I can learn from it after reading online, but its finally here.

I havent gotten pre opt instructions yet, only post opt, so you can open my eyes. Are you doing a liquid diet pre opt? How long do you have to do your pre opt instructions? I wish you all the success in the world. I bet you have mixed feelings too, cant wait to lose the weight, but cant say you are looking forward to getting started with the liquids. Are you getting excited about starting?

I've lost about 40 pounds this year on my own. I was getting impatient for surgery, then I realized that I could lose at the band rate (1-2 lbs. per week average) on my own at least for a while. So I did!

I have to do 2 weeks of Optifast before my surgery. Ugh! And there are a lot of tests to have done. And I have to get a clearance from my PCP, spend some time with his dietician (already had classes with the hospital dietician), etc. I think it's going to be a busy month.

I don't think it has really all sunk in quite yet. I'm still pretty much in the "one baby step at a time" mode to get necessary things done. I'm trying not to stress out too much. This is such a big step. And I've never had surgery before.

Everyone has had hardships in their life, it is wrong and immature to say that no one knows what you went through or has been through things like that.

Most doctors/nutritionests want you to chart your food so you might have to not be lazy and start doing that...either way you need to work with the band...it isn't a walk in the park.

Arent you a sweet heart??!!! If someone says they know journalling wouldnt help them, why not take their word for it instead of telling them they are wrong and immature and lazy??

Of course Ill do whatever my doctor requires, thanks for your reply.

I don't think it has really all sunk in quite yet. I'm still pretty much in the "one baby step at a time" mode to get necessary things done. I'm trying not to stress out too much. This is such a big step. And I've never had surgery before.

I think you and I are in the same place. Thats exactly how I feel, one baby step at a time, one day at a time. Im a big coffee drinker, so just giving up caffeine for the week after surgery, I know I will have withdrawals is why Im starting it a week ahead of time (trying to make that week after surgery as easy as possible). I have two 6 packs of high Protein Vitamin shakes here to get me going on the liquid diet phase.

Congrats on losing 40 lbs already. I might be down a couple of pounds and Im walking a mile and a half every night, as hot as it is here in Texas, I have to wait until after 10 pm or so. Im going to have to diet on my own after the band is in along with you. 3 months before that doctor will do a fill is probably going to feel like a eternity. I just needed one person to say its going to be worth going thru this, thank you again.

I hope to be down a couple more lbs by the time of the surgery. Im just cutting back right now, havent started to seriously diet. Working on upping the walking to twice a day, which means waking up at the crack of dawn in this heat. If you ever want a buddy to talk to, PM me, maybe we can help each other along. thanks again.

Flowers, You have said that you can loose the weight on the different diets, but you don't want to Yo-yo. Witht he band there is not a stop date. You can have the fills adjusted up or down, but it is there forever. I to have tried a few diets but get so obsessed with food that I gain more weight. I have tried going to the gym even started doing the 5k walks every month for a while, ended up gaining weight. I have been cutting back on portion size since movning back to the states (2 months) and for the second time I have gained more weight. I see the band as a helper to try to loose some of the weight before they give me the only option of the bypass. It is not a magic piece of sylicone that will make the weight dissapear, but it is like any other diet, basically relearning how to live one day to the next and helfully each new day is healthier with a little reminder of help in our bellies. If you are ready then go for it, if you need more time, wait until it is right for you.

I think you and I are in the same place. Thats exactly how I feel, one baby step at a time, one day at a time. Im a big coffee drinker, so just giving up caffeine for the week after surgery, I know I will have withdrawals is why Im starting it a week ahead of time (trying to make that week after surgery as easy as possible). I have two 6 packs of high Protein Vitamin shakes here to get me going on the liquid diet phase.

Congrats on losing 40 lbs already. I might be down a couple of pounds and Im walking a mile and a half every night, as hot as it is here in Texas, I have to wait until after 10 pm or so. Im going to have to diet on my own after the band is in along with you. 3 months before that doctor will do a fill is probably going to feel like a eternity. I just needed one person to say its going to be worth going thru this, thank you again.

I hope to be down a couple more lbs by the time of the surgery. Im just cutting back right now, havent started to seriously diet. Working on upping the walking to twice a day, which means waking up at the crack of dawn in this heat. If you ever want a buddy to talk to, PM me, maybe we can help each other along. thanks again.

Almost every bandster I know loves their band and only wishes they had done it sooner. That's what keeps me going forward.

As a former caffeine addict who quit many times before it took, I'd recommend you start cutting back gradually now!!! It's so hard to do and that pounding withdrawal headache is so painful... This is a process it's best not to rush.

I envy your ability to walk that much. It's something I want back.

:smile:Keep in touch!

Flowers, You have said that you can loose the weight on the different diets, but you don't want to Yo-yo. Witht he band there is not a stop date. You can have the fills adjusted up or down, but it is there forever. I to have tried a few diets but get so obsessed with food that I gain more weight.

Once I start cutting back on food, I know Im going to be obsessed too. I sure can relate.

Actually, the way I found this forum site was I did a search on long term and this thread popped up on google. Kinda scared me. Maybe if you read the thread where I started on this forum, someone can better understand my long term fears.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f79/lap-band-failure-rates-40704/

OK, as somebody who has been banded 6+ years, I have to say that at least 60% of the people I know who were Banded around the time I was Banded or soon after no longer have their Bands.