Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no restriction at all???

I had my 1st fill June 4 & ever since I've been able to eat anything I want. I'm very discouraged especially after reading some can't tolerate certain things after 1 fill. I'm afraid I might stretch out my pouch since I can eat normal. I don't pig out & never really did but how do I know if I'm eating too much if I don't have restriction to warn me? I can't get another fill until July 9. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!!

It takes most people 2-3 fills before experiencing proper restriction. Remember that the band is a tool to help you control your appetite. It WILL require effort on your part, too. Just because you can eat more doesn't mean you should. Do your best to stick to your surgeon's post-op diet as this was devised for optimal results. I didn't have any noticeable restriction for my first 3 fills. Then, when I did feel a difference, it only lasted for about 3 weeks. Realize that all surgeons fill at a different rate, based on their experience. Some are more aggressive than others. Talk with your doctor and see if you can go back earlier. Most are amenable to having you return sooner if necessary. Good luck!

I know how you feel. My 1st fill was also on June 4th and I can't go back till July 9th. I don't feel much restriction right now at all. I do eat less but I still need way more restriction than I have. Although, I have had 2 instances where I didn't chew my food well and everything got stuck (very painful). I'm just trying not to get discouraged. I'm also going to call mr Dr and see if I can at least come in on July 2nd

I know how you feel. My 1st fill was also on June 4th and I can't go back till July 9th. I don't feel much restriction right now at all. I do eat less but I still need way more restriction than I have. Although, I have had 2 instances where I didn't chew my food well and everything got stuck (very painful). I'm just trying not to get discouraged. I'm also going to call mr Dr and see if I can at least come in on July 2nd

Wow, you've done great! I've only lost 10 lbs since surgery & that number will be falling if I don't get restriction soon. I cannot go earlier because I will be out of the country July 1-8 & they want to wait until I get back. :tongue:

I too had the same doubts and fears. It took 8 fills to get the restriction that everyone talks about. Don't worry, it is a process and you will get there. In the meantime, listen to your doctor, be sensible, and of course logging on to this website is a big help!:tongue:

I'm having the same issue. Luckily, I'm just making healthier choices with food. I'm also exercising so if I'm dropping weight its cuz I'm really working on it. I can eat about 8 oz per meal and I snack at least twice a day. I wasn't supposed to get another fill until July 2nd and I called my doctor and explained to her that I get hungry in between my meals and if I could get my 2nd fill sooner. She scheduled me for 6/23. We'll see how that goes.

Most everyone has been in your shoes only a few experience a lot of restriction the first fill. That is usually do to a lot of swelling.

I have 5 fills. The fifth just yesterday. I have had restriction but I could still eat more than I should if I really want to. I have to measure out my meal because if I am not paying attention I can easily eat too much. My Dr. only went from 1cc to 4cc's on my second fill but only increases it by .5 cc's after that as they want to take it slow. They say there can be a big diff in restriction by that small of an amount. I have done rather well. (36lbs is 11wks) But a lot of it is due to my Portion Control, avoiding the foods I know I should not have and exercise. It has been hard but rewarding. Not to say that the band is not helping. It is. It does keep me full and I do eat significantly less and feel satisfied. I just don't stay full as long as I should and can eat more than I mean too sometimes.

Long story short. Hang in there you will find the right fill in time. I felt no difference after the first fill as well. Just stick to what you are supposed to be eating and drink Water when you feel hungry.

OK I'm done.

i noticed no difference after my first fill either, it wasn't until my second did i get any restriction. And for some it is the third or forth.

As for stretching it out ... this is my thought ... when i eat too much now ... i feel it, i feel the food hasn't gone through and it hurts! I would say if you are getting no pain/discomfort the food is moving through and if you are not "pigging out" then i would say there is little risk of stretching the pouch.

i totally understand your frustrations ... you have spent all this money and you now want it to start working now. Don't be too rushed though ... it can take time to find your "sweet spot".

Time and time again i read in these forums people worried that this might happen or that might happen ... in reality there are a minimal amount that this happens too. Of course none of us want to be that minority however I don't think it is worthy of too much concern or worry. If you follow the instructions of your surgeon, you treat your band nicely, listen to niggles and pains ... then there is little more we can do.

We are all so individual with the band, put the same band in a 100 people and you get 100 different experiences. Use others experiences as a guide, not an absolute on how it should work for you.

All the best for your fill on the 9th!

hugs

Wow, you've done great! I've only lost 10 lbs since surgery & that number will be falling if I don't get restriction soon. I cannot go earlier because I will be out of the country July 1-8 & they want to wait until I get back. :tongue:

Be glad your doctor won't fill until you get back. How would you like to spend a vacation or trip in a foreign country looking for an emergency for an unfill?! Seriously, you never know if your 2nd fill will be the one that makes a difference or not, and you'd hate to do it right before going out of the country. I had no noticeable difference after my first fill, a slight restriction for a few days after #2, no difference at all after #3, and I've noticed a huge difference after #4. I'm debating about whether I'll get another fill now or not. I actually gained .5 pounds between 3 and 4--during the month, but I still went down another pant size. Be true to yourself and follow the plan as much as you can, exercise and drink all of your Water. Don't worry that this need immediate response. We're all naturally hoping for quick results, but that might not happen. Celebrate the Non-scale Victories and do your best. Eventually, it will all make a difference. This is not like Gastric Bypass in which you have a certain window of opportunity to lose weight. If you're losing and you have no restriction, you're losing because of your hard work. The band isn't working for you yet. There may be a few months with very little weight loss...don't give up! It will happen. Give it time. I figure if I can lose 60 or 70 pounds in a year, I'll be a happy woman.

Be sure to talk to your surgeon and nutritionist for support if you get frustrated. I found my support group to be very helpful through my frustrations. I'm finally losing now....it can happen and it will. It just takes time. Good luck and have a safe trip! :lol:

I go for my second fill on the 23 of this month and am afraid to tell the doctor that I can eat as much as I could before the band. I know he is a very blundt person and I am just hoping that the band didn't slip. Honestly, it doesn't feel like it's even there lately. I eat too fast, all the wrong foods again. I know what I should be doing, but can't seem to get myself back in control. Not sure what I should do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kinder136 I find the biggest help for me is to log everything I put in my mouth on Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate. You don't realize how much you are eating unless you weigh it and write it down. Those calories come on fast and my doctor wants me to stay under 1000 calories a day because I can't exercise right now because of back problems. I also feel like I am more responsible for what I eat when I have to put it down on paper. Try it for a few days and see if it helps......Good Luck!

If you eat small amounts of food (my doc says 4oz by WEIGHT) when you have your meals, and you chew, chew, chew... then you shouldn't be worried about stretching. If you are waiting to realize you are full, then the possibility exists that you can stretch it (I said CAN, not WILL; everyone is different).

Have you called the doc and let them know you don't feel you have any restriction?

I go to the doctor on the 23rd of this month to get a fill. I really need to be mindful about how I chew and to take small bites. I am hoping that I haven't caused any damage to myself. I will let him know how I feel and thanks for the advice. :)

kidder as is stated previously in this thread most people do not find any difference after their first fill. Be honest with your Dr. they will fill the band more you will probably note a difference then. The best thing you can do is measure your portions and eat no more than that. If you are still hungry give it a few minutes and you will probably find your hunger is gone. I was told that it takes 20 mins for the satisfied message to get from your stomach to your brain.

Even though you can eat more. Don't. Stick with the choices and portion sizes recommended by your doctor. It is hard but worth it.

Fills are a progression. If you fill to quickly, you'll get sick a lot and lose to fast. That's not the point with the band. You must have time to transition to your new eating habits. Old habits don't change overnight. Neither do your eating habits. Be patient. It's all for a good reason. I just had my third fill last Friday, and it's the first time I've really felt good restriction. Despite that, I still lost 57 pounds. I changed my eating habits. Hang in there. It will all work out.