Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lower left belly pain.

I'm 7 days out from my surgery date, and I'm still having severe pain in my lower left side of my belly. Directly next to the belly button. I can't move, sitting standing, every little movement hurts. I've been having severe muscle cramps on that side as well. I've spoken to my MD and he said that they could have hit a nerve when they sewed the port into my stomach wall. I can only walk to the bathroom slowly squat down and walk back to my chair.

I don't have a feaver, my surgicle sites are healing great and don't really hurt, and I can drink fluids just fine, and I've hand pleanty of BM's. I've been averaging 77 oz of fluids a day, and I've been getting 55 grams of Protein. I don't understand where this extreamly painful crap is coming from. I would understand if the pain was at the port site, but it is not.

I don't know what to do, and my MD is not being very helpful. Also she does not want to give me another refil of pain meds. She said this type of pain is very unusual. Well I'm having it, and it has not improved at all in a week!!

Believe me, I know how you feel. I was banded 5/12, and I too had severe pain...although, different than you, mine was at my port site, that happens to be to the left of my belly button...

Also, my DR was not much help, and even though I asked for no additional meds, I was treated like I was just looking for pain medicine or something...believe me I was very offended...

I don't think that anyone can say what is a normal amount of pain, so I would recomend that you keep asking your dr, you can never be too careful with your health...

Like you, I was hurting all the time, getting up and down, going to the bathroom, everything just hurt.

It seems awful to say this but my pain lasted for over a month...and I truly did not feel that was normal...but after contacting my dr, I just decided to deal with it, and did the best I could...and guess what???

Two days ago my pain just sort of went away! Wonders of wonders! And this morning I actually rolled over on my left side and was able to sleep without pain.

I've been a few days now with only a couple of tylenol, and I am feeling much better...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I hope that your pain does not last a month, I hope this gives you hope that it will subside - and I hope it happens sooner for you than it did for me, but it will ease up...

Good luck to you!:P

Hi - I had a very similar pain and still have not idea what it is from. It hurt really bad after surgery but has almost gone away. It still comes back from time to time like today. But nothing like what you are feeling now. I asked my Dr. about it because my port is on the right side and the pain in on the left. So the only thing I can think is if the poked something while doing the procedure or I pulled some type of muscle??? No idea. If it is a nerve like you dr. mentioned did he say it would go away? I am in the same boat. However, if it is the same thing it will get better and hopefully soon. Good luck and don't overdue it.

My port is right above my belly button but my pain is across my entire waistband. The bad pain lasted about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks but felt a little better every day. I have noticed that it hurt less as I was able to move around more, sitting idle too long then getting up was painful. I am 2 1/2 weeks out now and the pain is much better the port site is only a little sore to the touch and I have this all over discomfort across my belly...kinda feels like the pain of a sunburn without the fever.

Edited by Jodi_620

Thank you for your kind words. I'm now 9 days out from surgery, and even though the pain is still severe, I'm able to walk around a little more.

My MD didn't give me any real prognosis about the pain, other than give it time.

I had the same problem with my lower, left abdomen. They hit a nerve, and the pain would shoot up next to my belly button. I could not sleep. I would wake up and stack pillows up on the couch to sleep. That is the only thing that helped for the first couple of weeks. I went to the nurse. She said that the shot they give you to keep your blood from clotting can cause pain, because they gave it on the same side as the surgery. She said to put wet heat on it...like a hot, wet towel, and take Tylenol. I don't have the nerve pain anymore, but I still have some aching in my abdomen where everything is trying to heal from that shot. She said it takes 4-6 weeks for that to go away. Bless your heart!!!!! I could barely move. My husband had it on the same day. He was bouncing around and acting just fine. I hope this post helps you!

MayLou

Let me tell ya! I came to tears when I read this thread because I had my surgery on 7/2 and I felt like such a loser. My left abdomen/belly button area pulls/burns when I walk. I'm trying to push through it but it HURTS. It's really the only problem I've had. I had gas pains, but since I fully expected those I could handle them. I walked and took lots of Gas X strips and it helps. I occasionally have gas pains in my left shoulder and under my left rib cage, but it's bearable. What's not bearable is my stomach. I have a large indention on my left incision where the port is. It hurts so bad it puts me to tears. I called my surgeons office and spoke with the nurse, while crying, and the Dr. refused to give me any more pain meds. I was so offended; they treated me like a drug addict. I've only taken pain meds one other time in my life for kidney stones. UGH... Motrin and Tylenol it is.

Thanks for letting me know that other people have this pain. I felt like everyone else has bounced back and are back to their normal lives. It'll be awhile for me.

hi, this is just a suggestion, but it might be helpful to see a physical therapist if the pain persists. i did for my shoulder pain and found out a rib was displaced -probably during the procedure - severe pain that the dr. did not know the cause of. my regular dr. referred me to the PT to have it checked out.

the PT told me she gets a lot of post-surgery people from all kinds of procedures for misc. pain that is due to pulled muscles, scar tissue adhesion (i'm not sure what that is), pinched nerves, etc. from the surgery itself.

i too had to get more roxicet (pain meds) and the dr. was hesitant to do it - told me to take motrin which i can't take. so she gave me 1/2 a prescription and that did the trick. it seemed like 24 hours more on the medication made all the difference for me. i understand why they hesitate - it's addicting - but still - how can we get addicted to it if we can't get it? access to the meds for a couple of weeks after surgery sems reasonable to me if needed.

hope you are feeling better! this is my 4th week annniversary today and other than a small rash, i'm feeling great. it really gets better! i'm looking forward to working with my band now that i feel well and my first fill is coming next week!

I know it is difficult. It is going to take some time. In order to use the restroom, I had to wait and let the urine just come out. I could not use the muscles. My surgeon did prescribe one more fill of Lortab. I think you should call again about the pain, and explain that you just need it to help sleep and until the pain starts going away. I get my first fill next week, and my left side is still achy. The ripping or burning feeling is gone. The nurse explained that when they perform the surgery, your legs are actually up and not in the best position. The liver retractor can cause pain. The fact that the shot was on the same side of my surgery worsened my pain. The shot left a bruise about 3 inches in diameter. Anyway, you aren't alone. I would try to call again for pain medication this week. Nothing else would work for me. Gradually, the nerve pain will go away. You will be happy and almost normal before too long. You will just be losing weight!!!! Good luck and let me know what the doc says about it.

Kris

The pain has started to go away. I've just now returned to work on a part time basis, but I can only sit in the computer chair for 45 min. before the pain becomes too much. My Dr. told me to work the muscles out no matter how much it hurts. I'm not sure how much that will really help. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Let me tell ya! I came to tears when I read this thread because I had my surgery on 7/2 and I felt like such a loser. My left abdomen/belly button area pulls/burns when I walk. I'm trying to push through it but it HURTS. It's really the only problem I've had. I had gas pains, but since I fully expected those I could handle them. I walked and took lots of Gas X strips and it helps. I occasionally have gas pains in my left shoulder and under my left rib cage, but it's bearable. What's not bearable is my stomach. I have a large indention on my left incision where the port is. It hurts so bad it puts me to tears. I called my surgeons office and spoke with the nurse, while crying, and the Dr. refused to give me any more pain meds. I was so offended; they treated me like a drug addict. I've only taken pain meds one other time in my life for kidney stones. UGH... Motrin and Tylenol it is.

Thanks for letting me know that other people have this pain. I felt like everyone else has bounced back and are back to their normal lives. It'll be awhile for me.

I was so glad to read your post. I'm sorry you've had pain but you are the first person to describe exactly what I have had! I had my surgery on 6/24 and still have that burning/pulling pain, sometimes makes me want to cry. I went back to my surgeon, he checked it out and said everything was fine and it was normal. He did prescribe more pain medication for me but so far the only thing that really helps is tight undergarments! I have a camisole by Spanx that really helps, at least it holds everything in place so I can walk etc. Anyway, I felt like you that it seems everyone else just bounced back so quickly. I do keep hearing that the pain does go away eventually, hopefully soon! Good luck to you and keep me posted on how you are doing!

Amy

I had surgery friday the 11th and today is Sunday...how long will the soreness last...?????

Edited by deanntucker

The first couple of days were the worst and it does get better each day. Hopefully you don't experience the "port" pain that some of us have. A lot of people it seems have not had any problem with that, some of us unfortunately have and apparently it just takes time. I'm going on 3 weeks post op and still have it, although it does seems to be getting a little better each day. Good luck with everything and congrats on your new beginnings! Amy

Hi Amy! Thanks for your response. I can tell you that the pain is slowly but surely getting a little better each day. Some days are worse than others. There's still no way I can go to work yet (I've been approved for 4-6 weeks for recovery), but I can atleast walk now. It seems to now be worse when I sit down for an extended amount of time. How are you feeling now?

Amanda

Hi Amy! Thanks for your response. I can tell you that the pain is slowly but surely getting a little better each day. Some days are worse than others. There's still no way I can go to work yet (I've been approved for 4-6 weeks for recovery), but I can atleast walk now. It seems to now be worse when I sit down for an extended amount of time. How are you feeling now?

Amanda

Hi Amanda! I'm glad you are feeling better. That is great that you have 4-6 weeks off, I took 2 weeks vacation time, I could have used a little more time. That was what was so hard, I heard that some people go back to work in 3-5 days and there was no way I could. I still have pain. Today I didn't wear my Spanx camisole underneath my clothes and I am hurting tonight. It helps so much to have pressure or something tight around me to hold it in place, it's when it moves that it hurts most. I am just hoping it goes away soon, tomorrow will be 3 weeks for me since surgery. I am supposed to get my first fill on 7/31 but if it still feels like this, I don't think I can. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Amy